Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2007, 04:30 PM

25 posts, read 53,354 times

Advertisements

hi! i stumbled upon the forums while looking at cities in other states. Lots of folks sure do move around... i also live part-time in the south.
I am a nyc transplant to the lake winola area of northeast Pa. I've lived, worked and played here for 30 years. If anyone would like more info about this beautiful and thankfully still hidden treasure of a rural area, or opinions from a nyc boomer's honest and from-the-hip old perspective, feel free to ask.

Last edited by nyctransplant; 05-30-2007 at 04:31 PM.. Reason: missed a word

Old 12-06-2007, 09:57 PM

25 posts, read 91,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyctransplant View Post
hi! i stumbled upon the forums while looking at cities in other states. Lots of folks sure do move around... i also live part-time in the south.
I am a nyc transplant to the lake winola area of northeast Pa. I've lived, worked and played here for 30 years. If anyone would like more info about this beautiful and thankfully still hidden treasure of a rural area, or opinions from a nyc boomer's honest and from-the-hip old perspective, feel free to ask.
I remember when Lake Winola was a NICE place, with NICE people. Not
anymore. Too many people moved in and turned our once beautiful,
humble cottages into McMansions with Jaguars in the driveway. Now all
the local folk are trying to keep up... and, all the noses are turned UP !!!
Trust me, after 68 years, I see the difference. We didn't need the
nyc transplants !!!!!

Old 12-07-2007, 06:18 AM

2,834 posts, read 10,765,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by metome View Post
nyc transplants !!!!!
Your new here. Beleive it or not...there are some deep friendships here. Your attitude is not welcome. You are truly giving the wrong impression of the locals by your attitude. And you have the nerve to talk about the transplants! You must be a joy to have as a neighbor!

Old 12-07-2007, 06:54 AM

487 posts, read 1,374,939 times
I may be from New York, and yes, I built a new home in NEPA, but I'm not stuck-up, didn't build a McMansion, and don't drive a Jaguar. We are just regular folks looking for a quieter, simpler way of life. Sorry if Long Island doesn't do it for me anymore. NEPA residents should be flattered that they can still offer a wonderful way of life.

Old 12-07-2007, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bldginpa View Post
I may be from New York, and yes, I built a new home in NEPA, but I'm not stuck-up, didn't build a McMansion, and don't drive a Jaguar. We are just regular folks looking for a quieter, simpler way of life. Sorry if Long Island doesn't do it for me anymore. NEPA residents should be flattered that they can still offer a wonderful way of life.
And, we welcome you with open arms. Your not the -transplants- I was
referring to. The previous thread IS !!!!! Too defensive !! guilty perhaps ??

Old 12-07-2007, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I LOVE PA! View Post
Your new here. Beleive it or not...there are some deep friendships here. Your attitude is not welcome. You are truly giving the wrong impression of the locals by your attitude. And you have the nerve to talk about the transplants! You must be a joy to have as a neighbor!
You rang in loud and clear !!!!! Read : bldginpa, previous thread !!!
Now, there the kind of people that makes for a nice community.
I REST MY CASE !!!!!!

Old 12-07-2007, 06:48 PM

Hey !!! nyctranslant ---- where are you ????
You opened up this can of worms, now where are you ???

Old 12-07-2007, 06:51 PM

4,083 posts, read 9,096,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by metome View Post
nyc transplants !!!!!
What the hell are you talking about? Sure there are some transplants there but for the most part the neuvo riche that live at Lake Winola are local per se from the Scranton area. There alot of people in the city that have lake houses there and alot of families from the Abingtons that are not transplants that live there. There are far less NY transplants there then you think. There are also homes owned by people from the Philly area. Honestly metome I have been reading your posts and you seem to miss the idea of this board. Maybe after 68 years your not cut out for the net?

Old 12-07-2007, 07:15 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,600,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weluvpa View Post
What the hell are you talking about? Sure there are some transplants there but for the most part the neuvo riche that live at Lake Winola are local per se from the Scranton area. There alot of people in the city that have lake houses there and alot of families from the Abingtons that are not transplants that live there. There are far less NY transplants there then you think. There are also homes owned by people from the Philly area. Honestly metome I have been reading your posts and you seem to miss the idea of this board. Maybe after 68 years your not cut out for the net?
Even the McMansions sprouting up in place of the smaller cottages around Harvey's Lake as of late are mostly for the Nuevo Riche of Luzerne County. There are a few ex-NY and ex-NJ transplants here and there retiring in that part of the Back Mountain, but they're largely being lured into those newer townhome and/or "active adult" communities nearer to Dallas.

Old 12-07-2007, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weluvpa View Post
Don't get excited just yet, I still have my wits about me !!!
I am referring BACK to 5-2007 when 'nyctransplant' came online and
offered info about the Lake Winola area -- as an EXPERT of the area !!

I just got a chuckle !!! I wonder if he can tell stories of the Dibbre !! -
Davitts - Blue Dolphin - Winola Inn - Corbetts - Matylwices produce stand,
Falls-Overfield Fair, etc.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania