Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2010, 12:24 PM

24,124 posts, read 32,498,125 times

Advertisements

Dan YOU are the one who attempts to drive people away from the area!

But, it's funny...because it doesn't seem to be working! An increasing number of posters from Oregon to Vermont to Maryland and yes the reviled - by you - NY/NJ areas are moving to or considering a move to NEPA! Go figure!

The wage tax, the St. Patricks Day Parade, the corrupt politics and even the unwelcoming attitude of a SMALL MINORITY of its denizens, are not depressing the renewing upsurge of interest in relocation to NEPA.

The area has a lot to offer. No it isn't perfect but I have yet to visit a place that is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2010, 01:11 PM

4,083 posts, read 9,100,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
Well for someone so educated, you can't even spell your insults correctly. LOLROFLMMFAO
LOL ROFLMMFAO sorry about that, but its right..

Old 03-28-2010, 01:43 PM

9 posts, read 12,745 times
I'm from Old Bethpage originally but I also lived in Kings Park for awhile. Stony Brook is beautiful...but super expensive. Like anywhere else on the island. Some of the houses in the historic section of Kingston that sell for around $250k would sell for well over $1M on the island. Great schools down there, though..

Old 03-29-2010, 07:45 AM

7,931 posts, read 15,826,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by czarcasm View Post
There are some very nice neighborhoods here in Kingston where you could buy a VERY nice house for under $200,000.
I just find it funny that people who move here think that "under $200,000" is cheap.

Old 03-29-2010, 08:28 AM

25 posts, read 41,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by czarcasm View Post
Well, since no one actually seemed to answer your questions...

First off, I live in Kingston and work in Downtown W-B. So I feel somewhat qualified to answer them.

<<snip: good answers to my original Qs>>

Hope this helps. The area's gotten a lot better over the past five or so years.

5)
Thanks so much for you input! I really appreciate it. Many of your answers fill in some of the missing info my family has been looking for. I was away for the weekend so I'm going to poke through the other responses and see if I need any more follow ups.

Seriously, thanks again.

Best,
Mark

Old 03-29-2010, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
Dan YOU are the one who attempts to drive people away from the area!
wuluvpa did make a very nice offer to me to help get my wife and I on the river. I hesitate to tread these (now, metaphorical) waters, but let me throw in my $.02. weluvpa indicated that he is not in Scranton by pure choice. So, imagine if you are bound to an area that isn't the hottest place in the world, and you see a lot of negatives ... if you see someone post they might come into the area, you might try to save that person some of your own hardship by making sure they don't see it with rose colored glasses. I'm in a very similar position with respect to Vermont. Except in VT, there is a ton of positive ... the negatives are more hidden. In NEPA, I think it is reversed: there are a lot of blatant negatives, but the positives are more hidden.

Quote:
Originally Posted by go phillies View Post
I just find it funny that people who move here think that "under $200,000" is cheap.
Yup! But, funny thing is, a long as second home buyers from NYC, CT, and MA (for example, in VT) can afford $200k on a 2nd house ... when $100k + taxes, etc. is hard for the local wage earner ... the locals are going to be priced out of the market. [much the case in central VT] I assume there are similar effects in the 'burbs of NEPA and even more so as you get into the Poconos proper.

As to LOL ROFLM(M)FAO or what-so-ever: who's to say the second M doesn't stand for "might" or "miserly" or "misfit" or "major" or any other wonderful word .... or as is more likely .... "mother"!

Life's too short for ad spellingum attacks.

I'm still picking out who is actually in the area, but, if my family ends up there, we'll have to host a city-data BBQ. Almost certainly, we'll be outside the two big cities proper. But, not too far away!

Best,
Mark

Old 03-29-2010, 09:06 AM

28,163 posts, read 25,318,510 times
FTR, that isn't the word I was talking about. :/

Old 03-29-2010, 09:13 AM

7,931 posts, read 15,826,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderingT View Post

Yup! But, funny thing is, a long as second home buyers from NYC, CT, and MA (for example, in VT) can afford $200k on a 2nd house ... when $100k + taxes, etc. is hard for the local wage earner ... the locals are going to be priced out of the market. [much the case in central VT] I assume there are similar effects in the 'burbs of NEPA and even more so as you get into the Poconos proper.
This has definitely happened in the Poconos....locals who have lived there for generations have been priced out by New Yorkers...$200k+ is cheap to someone coming fron NYC/NJ, but in NEPA, its pretty expensive with the wages paid in this area. The "pricing out" of locals really hasn't hit Scranton/Wilkes-Barre yet, and I'm hoping it doesn't...although on the flip side if that were to happen in Scranton, I could sell my house and make quite a profit on it. You couldn't buy a shed in NJ for what I paid for my house in Scranton.

Old 03-29-2010, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
FTR, that isn't the word I was talking about. :/
I hope you know I was joking and trying to be light-hearted.

Best,
Mark

Old 03-29-2010, 10:19 AM

28,163 posts, read 25,318,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderingT View Post
I hope you know I was joking and trying to be light-hearted.

Best,
Mark

Oh I know! I didn't want anyone to think I was that anal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania