Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2010, 08:57 AM

212 posts, read 502,133 times

Advertisements

Please note that this thread was started in 2010

Hi all, I am poconogirl and our family is considering buying a vacation house in the pocono area.

Currently we are looking at properties in this preference: Emerald Lake Community, arrowhead community and Indian Mountain Lake community.

What do you think/suggest?

are these development safe for a young family to enjoy summer/weekend get away?

I read a lot of post about gang crime stuff in the Pocono country Place area... are Emerald Lake Community, arrowhead community and Indian Mountain Lake community being affected or some what similar?

We do not want to buy in a high crime area.

Would you please help? any comments are welcome

thanks!

poconogirl

Last edited by toobusytoday; 07-06-2020 at 02:55 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2010, 10:08 AM

humm I just read someone said Emerald Lake is not that good... is it true, can anyone who lives in the area confirm the information please? Is Emerald Lake locate anywhere near Pocono Country Place?

Old 04-28-2010, 05:12 PM

173 posts, read 582,239 times
Emerald Lakes is OK, not as bad as Pocono Country Place. They aren't close, but are in the same school district (when i say not close, i mean they dont board each other, they are probably like 10-15 minutes apart)

Arrowhead i dont really hear anything bad about. That is also in the same district.

You may want to consider Towmensing Trails. They have a large amount of vacation homes here. (i live here full time). Welcome To The Official Towamensing Trails Community Web site is the website.

Old 04-28-2010, 06:47 PM

thank you for the information when you say Emerald lake is "OK" does it mean it is similar to PCP just not as bad? meaning would it be normal for me to see gang member running around like pcp and see spray painted wall, drug dealers, and gang members from nyc (like i read all of the news report for pcp). What we are looking for is an affordable second home for vacation, weekend country living. If it is similar to the bronx, some areas in brooklyn and some area in queens, then we mind as well save the money and enjoy our backyard in a good area in NYC instead. We are looking for a community in door pool for all year around use, beach on lake for summer and the great outdoor... but if the area is just "OK" where it is bad ... or gang member influence my kids to join the gang (like they say in the pocono report website), then we will not consider buying anymore. So if Emerald lake is only 10-15 min away, will pcp people come to emerald lake area to start trouble? Is it a norm that they do so?

Old 04-29-2010, 03:21 AM

2,362 posts, read 5,137,741 times
I would stay FAR away From MONROE county , Go further North ,

Old 04-29-2010, 05:58 AM

wow... so which county do you recommend?
We have been to Split Rock a few times and that is the knowledge we have for Pocono.

If it is further north, does it mean houses are more expensive? Are there private community further north with indoor pool and beach on lake?

Any idea of what county will be of great help. thanks.

Old 04-30-2010, 04:43 AM

5,047 posts, read 5,798,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poconogirl View Post
wow... so which county do you recommend?
We have been to Split Rock a few times and that is the knowledge we have for Pocono.

If it is further north, does it mean houses are more expensive? Are there private community further north with indoor pool and beach on lake?

Any idea of what county will be of great help. thanks.
We have a place in Wayne county and it is beautiful there. Look at The Hideout, Indian Rocks or WLE ; they are all close to the lake. WLE has an indoor pool and two outdoor pools and has lake access with beach on two lakes.

Old 01-29-2011, 08:32 AM

4 posts, read 25,239 times
Wink poconogirl

Hi Poconogirl......I'm the board secretary of Emerald Lakes Association and I will try to answer some of your concerns. Emerald Lakes is a wonderful family-oriented community. We are a recreation community that offers many amenities including five lakes, outdoor pool, tennis courts, community center including indoor pool, billiards table, bar and grill etc. We have an active events committee that arranges programming such as '"Meet Santa " to Valentine's dances for adults etc. We are reaching out to our teens to involve them in healthy programming as well.We welcome new families and hope that they will avail themselves of our community spirit. We do have an active public safety department supported by our own crimewatch committee that is effective in deterrence. Hope you take a look at our community !!!!!!!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by poconogirl View Post
Hi all, I am poconogirl and our family is considering buying a vacation house in the pocono area.

Currently we are looking at properties in this preference: Emerald Lake Community, arrowhead community and Indian Mountain Lake community.

What do you think/suggest?

are these development safe for a young family to enjoy summer/weekend get away?

I read a lot of post about gang crime stuff in the Pocono country Place area... are Emerald Lake Community, arrowhead community and Indian Mountain Lake community being affected or some what similar?

We do not want to buy in a high crime area.

Would you please help? any comments are welcome

thanks!

poconogirl

Old 08-13-2011, 03:06 PM

6 posts, read 28,743 times
I want to purchase in Emerald Estates in Penn, Tobyhanna Township, can some one tell me if there is a crime problem? I noticed several homes are for sale. I do not want to purchase and their is a problem.

Does the association keep up with their maintenance of common grounds?

Does the association have a landscaper who for additonal $ take care of individual property for the owenrs?

Is there a problem with people who like to break the by-laws... setting off firecrackers near the wooded areas.?

Is there really 24 hour security?

Please help.

Old 08-15-2011, 10:14 AM

I guess I can do it... since I have been researching this topic for a long time and is currently live nearby part time.

Crime: While many in the forum may tell you that tobyhanna is bad and with a lot of crime... it is really not that bad... It is true that certain part of tobyhanna has a higher crime rate than the more rural part in the pocono, as long as you stay away from the PCP part.

I have also know quite a few friends in Emerald Lake and they are all nice people. True crime does happen occasionally, but it is like once in a blue moon thing... keep in mind Emerald lake is a huge area...

Does the association keep up with their maintenance of common grounds? From what I know, they do. they also have an indoor pool.

Does the association have a landscaper who for additonal $ take care of individual property for the owenrs?
From what I know, they do not... but I am sure someone in the community would be happy to do so, for a fee.

Is there a problem with people who like to break the by-laws... setting off firecrackers near the wooded areas.?
I am sure there will be people who break the by-laws in any communities. I cannot comment on this one since I do not live in Emerald Lake and did not buy there after months of research - not because we do not like it but we found a better deal near emerald lake.

We end up buying in indian mountain lake instead which is like 5 min drive away from emerald lake.

pocono girl

P.S. are you using this as a vacation home or full time home?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann Ham View Post
I want to purchase in Emerald Estates in Penn, Tobyhanna Township, can some one tell me if there is a crime problem? I noticed several homes are for sale. I do not want to purchase and their is a problem.

Does the association keep up with their maintenance of common grounds?

Is there really 24 hour security?

Please help.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania