Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2010, 04:18 PM

1,652 posts, read 3,884,470 times

Advertisements

I finally had a chance to check out the Fair Oaks location of the Great and Holy Wegmans this past weekend and was sort of let down, I have to confess. The food court/prepared food area was very cool, but not as mind-blowingly awesome as I expected. And the produce was a pretty big let-down... It's summer, for goodness' sake - where are the plumoramas, the heirloom, semi-local greens (the kinda stuff you'd very often find in a lot of higher-end grocery chains in larger [and even mid-sized, in some cases] cities in the West and Midwest - dunno about the South (TM), as my experience there is rather limited)?

So far, I like the typical Harris Teeter produce offerings better than Wegmans'. First choice of course will always be biking to one of the three Fairfax City farmers' markets if I can manage to cram it into my schedule. And I do still have to check out the really big Super H Mart in Ffx City, which I'm looking forward to greatly. The Yes! Organic Market near the Eastern Market Metro stop has unusually good produce for the area, too - maybe they get it from the vendors at the actual Eastern Market. But if I have to purchase produce at a big box grocery chain in the area, I think I will stick with Harris Teeter, for now. Any other thoughts on this? How much do these chains vary based on their individual locations, based on you C-Ders' collective experience?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2010, 04:28 PM

1,570 posts, read 4,623,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alicia Bradley View Post
I finally had a chance to check out the Fair Oaks location of the Great and Holy Wegmans this past weekend and was sort of let down, I have to confess. The food court/prepared food area was very cool, but not as mind-blowingly awesome as I expected. And the produce was a pretty big let-down... It's summer, for goodness' sake - where are the plumoramas, the heirloom, semi-local greens (the kinda stuff you'd very often find in a lot of higher-end grocery chains in larger [and even mid-sized, in some cases] cities in the West and Midwest - dunno about the South (TM), as my experience there is rather limited)?

So far, I like the typical Harris Teeter produce offerings better than Wegmans'. First choice of course will always be biking to one of the three Fairfax City farmers' markets if I can manage to cram it into my schedule. And I do still have to check out the really big Super H Mart in Ffx City, which I'm looking forward to greatly. The Yes! Organic Market near the Eastern Market Metro stop has unusually good produce for the area, too - maybe they get it from the vendors at the actual Eastern Market. But if I have to purchase produce at a big box grocery chain in the area, I think I will stick with Harris Teeter, for now. Any other thoughts on this? How much do these chains vary based on their individual locations, based on you C-Ders' collective experience?
Hey! I just read your post and it totally caught my attention.. I happen to be a transplant to the area (almost a year now) and a produce manager for Harris teeter! I agree with you on Wegman's I do go there from time to time for their $6 meals and cheap wine (my barefoot is only $4.75!). I agree their produce is a let down especially for it being such a big portion of the store, it seems very spread out and not a whole lot of offerings, I am new to the area so I havent been around during the summer time to see what kind of local offerings they have either. I do know in a couple of weeks we (Harris Teeter) will be getting in even more local offerings (be sure to look for our local and regionally grown signs; to show which items are indeed local and regional). I know for a fact that our produce is very high quality and purchase all of my produce their as well. I have worked for another company previously in the produce dept. and can honestly say Harris Teeter gets in some very high quality produce! Much better than my previous company & we have some pretty decent sales.

Old 06-14-2010, 04:28 PM

577 posts, read 2,063,305 times
I don't know a whole lot about produce but I hear that the international markets in the area (Global Foods, GrandMart, Lotte Plaza) have a good selection of typical and unusual types of produce.

Old 06-14-2010, 05:00 PM

214 posts, read 488,521 times
The HT in our neighborhood is gross. We have bought ready-made food there that was moldy and it frequently loses power, which makes me not want to buy milk or anything that must be kept cold there.

Old 06-14-2010, 05:27 PM

1,576 posts, read 6,356,143 times
I'm a huge fan of Harris Teeter and I love their produce. But the best produce at a chain supermarket is Whole Foods, hands down. The problem is that Whole Foods is so expensive. If I could afford to shop there on a regular basis, I would. Since I can't, I do most of my shopping at Harris Teeter. I like Wegmans, but it is a huge store that sells almost everything. Shopping there can be a bit overwhelming. Plus, I agree that the produce is not quite as good as HT.

Old 06-14-2010, 05:33 PM

34 posts, read 105,115 times
Just an FYI, the Falls Church Farmer's Market is my favorite. If you're in FFX, it's not too far and definitely worth the trip. Saturday mornings at the Community Center. Love the booth that makes crepes!

Old 06-15-2010, 05:08 AM

12,906 posts, read 15,684,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alicia Bradley View Post
IIt's summer, for goodness' sake - where are the plumoramas, the heirloom, semi-local greens (the kinda stuff you'd very often find in a lot of higher-end grocery chains in larger [and even mid-sized, in some cases] cities in the West and Midwest - dunno about the South (TM), as my experience there is rather limited)?
You will not really find this in this area. It's sad. Sometimes I will see some local stuff at Giant, and last week, Safeway had better peaches than all the grocery stores. But basically, they all look like they are made in a factory. The closest Harris Teeter to me is the one located between Woodbridge and Manassas. When they first opened, I was in awe of their produce section. I have had occasion to go there over the last few months and was REALLY disappointed.

Thank God the farmer's markets are open now. It's really a shame that the grocery chains cannot do better. I am a lifelong resident here and I can tell you that it hasn't always been this abysmal.

Old 06-15-2010, 05:24 AM

577 posts, read 2,063,305 times
There are many pick your own type places around and local farms to try, too.

Old 06-15-2010, 10:35 AM

21 posts, read 161,554 times
I almost bought a gross looking green pepper and cucumber from Harris Teeter this past weekend. I ended up putting it back on the shelf. Took a spin past Whole Foods later in the day, not only was the produce fresher but it was cheaper than HT.

Old 06-15-2010, 11:27 AM

1,570 posts, read 4,623,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineVA View Post
The closest Harris Teeter to me is the one located between Woodbridge and Manassas.
When was the last time you were in there? A friend of mine recently took over that department and I am quite sure he has it a lot better than the previous produce manager (who was a joke!)

Last edited by FindingZen; 06-15-2010 at 05:13 PM.. Reason: fixed quote
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia