Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2010, 08:23 AM

1,418 posts, read 3,454,424 times

Advertisements

Hi all, husband *may* be getting a new job and if so, we want to celebrate by taking a little weekend getaway before he'd start. I'm looking at Columbus Day weekend...any great ideas for a long weekend with a family of four (including 8 yr old twins)?

I'm thinking about Outer Banks...husband does love the beach but am worried it will be too cool. We also love Vermont, but it's too far so if there would be a nice fall locale like Vermont, where we could be in the mountains with foliage etc, that might be cool too, West Virginia maybe? Have the kids so there has to be something to do, but they're pretty easy to please and just love to travel to new places.

Any other suggestions within a 3-4 hour drive? (yes I know OBX is longer)...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2010, 11:43 AM

15,402 posts, read 28,934,961 times
Do you like birds? If so, that will be the middle of the annual bird migration, which is spectacular in Cape May, Lewes, and Rehoboth. Those three areas are the first stop for a number of the larger birds that fly over the ocean. It's also a popular resting point for many songbirds that are migrating.

In addition, those are "summer" resorts, so you can sometimes find good deals in October.

Old 09-13-2010, 12:13 PM

722 posts, read 1,922,494 times
Two years ago we went to Philadelphia for the Columbus day weekend. We visited the Franklin Institute, and of course the Liberty Bell, Independence National Historic Park, etc. It was a great weekend!

Old 09-13-2010, 12:14 PM

2,309 posts, read 2,312,138 times
Philadelphia is great in the fall. You have the city with all the history places to visit, or I personally LOVE Bucks County. You could stroll the streets of New Hope and visit all the cute shops, you could visit Peddlers Village which also has cute shops...Princeton is also just a 20 minute drive from there and thay have a great art museum there. The Brick Hotel in Newtown would be good for evening dinner if you wanted something more upscale.

NYC is another favorite.

Good luck!

Old 09-13-2010, 12:15 PM

15,402 posts, read 28,934,961 times
ps. Best of luck to your hubby! If you want to spend a little bit on this celebration, the Greenbriar is pricey but decadent.

Old 09-13-2010, 12:18 PM

4,489 posts, read 10,941,268 times
White water rafting in West Virginia? I'm not sure how the recent lack of rain has affected things, but fall is supposed to be the best time for the rapids. I remember doing something similar in Utah or Colorado with my family in elementary school, and it was a blast.

Old 09-13-2010, 12:20 PM

158 posts, read 378,912 times
what about the homestead resort? A little less pricey than the Greenbriar but equally beautiful. Lots of activities for everyone. My hubby and I want to go there for a weekend away sometime. I think they have activities for the kids too.

Old 09-14-2010, 07:48 AM

230 posts, read 1,035,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momtotwoboys View Post
what about the homestead resort? A little less pricey than the Greenbriar but equally beautiful. Lots of activities for everyone. My hubby and I want to go there for a weekend away sometime. I think they have activities for the kids too.
Yes we stayed there with our kids and there were heaps of kids activities, but I would make sure you get a package that includes activities otherwise they are quite expensive. If you have an all inclusive activity package it works out well worth it. They even have their own bowling alley!

Old 09-14-2010, 09:13 AM

18,717 posts, read 31,070,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momtotwoboys View Post
This one gets my vote!!! Good lucky to your dh, I hope he not only gets the job but a terrific offer as well.

Old 09-14-2010, 09:15 AM

18,717 posts, read 31,070,580 times
If you deicde to celebrate with a dinner instead of a trip, I vote for Inn at Little Washington. That's my idea of a perfect place to celebrate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia