Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2010, 09:18 AM

2,737 posts, read 5,456,694 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigger37708 View Post
Thank you.
I will keep that in mind as I look.
"Stick to North Arl." is really overly general advice.

Zip code 22202 (Arlington Ridge/Aurora Hills) has housing prices and mix, and metro access, similar to those of 22201 and to some extent 22203, and parts of 22207. 22202 is also extremely convenient for parts of DC (Capitol Hill) and different types of shopping.

Also, for townhomes, there are some very nice areas in 22206 and 22204 (e.g., Fairlington). They are not cheap, though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2010, 10:36 AM

51 posts, read 89,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ACWhite View Post
"Stick to North Arl." is really overly general advice.

Zip code 22202 (Arlington Ridge/Aurora Hills) has housing prices and mix, and metro access, similar to those of 22201 and to some extent 22203, and parts of 22207. 22202 is also extremely convenient for parts of DC (Capitol Hill) and different types of shopping.

Also, for townhomes, there are some very nice areas in 22206 and 22204 (e.g., Fairlington). They are not cheap, though.
Basically, go with any area that is within the boundary of Yorktown HS.

Old 07-03-2010, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leezer View Post
Basically, go with any area that is within the boundary of Yorktown HS.
Did the OP say whether s/he had school age children? (I may have missed this). If so, then the school should be a consideration. If not, this is like advising everyone to buy an Escalade rather than a Lexus, or rather than a Prius and a European vacation.

Old 07-03-2010, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Did the OP say whether s/he had school age children? (I may have missed this). If so, then the school should be a consideration. If not, this is like advising everyone to buy an Escalade rather than a Lexus, or rather than a Prius and a European vacation.
Believe it or not, the schools have a big impact on interest (when it's time to sell) and value of your home whether you have kids or not.

Old 07-03-2010, 11:14 AM

14,129 posts, read 31,253,676 times
Quote:
Believe it or not, the schools have a big impact on interest (when it's time to sell) and value of your home whether you have kids or not.
But wouldn't that be offset by the premium he'd be paying a current seller?

Old 07-03-2010, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
But wouldn't that be offset by the premium he'd be paying a current seller?
If he can afford it, then it'd be a good investment in my mind.

When it's time to sell, the last thing you want going against you is a home in an undesirable part of town. Take PW County and PG County for instance.

Old 07-03-2010, 12:04 PM

5,391 posts, read 7,230,341 times
At or below $500,000 will limit your choices to townhouses and duplexes in most of Alexandria (and North Arlington, too, I believe).

There are detached houses available in that range in the Holmes Run/Taney Ave area of Alexandria (West End). I don't believe it's a terrible or particularly dangerous area, but you might have neighbors with 5 or 6 cars to one house, and lots of noise (or so a resident of the area tells me).

Old 07-03-2010, 12:31 PM

Quote:
If he can afford it, then it'd be a good investment in my mind.

When it's time to sell, the last thing you want going against you is a home in an undesirable part of town. Take PW County and PG County for instance.
The old argument about schools is exactly why I offered the analogy. Let me explain it if you didn't "get" it. There is no need to buy an Escalade if you don't need an Escalade and, if for the same price, you could get a Lexus that offers more of the things you want. Schools are not the only things that add value--otherwise Georgetown and most of the rest of NW Washington and Old Town Alexandria would not be as expensive as they are -- and they are as expensive or more so than the same type of property in North Arlington. Metro access adds as much or more value -- see the Wa Post's map by zip code of Arlington recently -- metro-accessible areas stayed the same or went up, while 22207 (mostly Yorktown) went down. But you shouldn't pay for metro access either, if you don't value it. Many other things add value - being on a nice street, large rooms, beautiful lots, an updated kitchen, etc., etc., etc. And, schools don't guarantees value any more than other important factors like location.

The point is that a home buyer should pay for what benefits him or her. Yes, location is very important and people should consider that. Around here there are many tradeoffs to make that are much more extreme than in less expensive cities. It is stupid to pay for things that you don't need and give up other things that you do.

The other parts of Arlington that I identified are not undesirable parts of town. Are you sure you aren't a homeowner trying to pump up your neighborhood?

Old 07-03-2010, 07:41 PM

Quote:
The old argument about schools is exactly why I offered the analogy. Let me explain it if you didn't "get" it. There is no need to buy an Escalade if you don't need an Escalade and, if for the same price, you could get a Lexus that offers more of the things you want. Schools are not the only things that add value--otherwise Georgetown and most of the rest of NW Washington and Old Town Alexandria would not be as expensive as they are -- and they are as expensive or more so than the same type of property in North Arlington. Metro access adds as much or more value -- see the Wa Post's map by zip code of Arlington recently -- metro-accessible areas stayed the same or went up, while 22207 (mostly Yorktown) went down. But you shouldn't pay for metro access either, if you don't value it. Many other things add value - being on a nice street, large rooms, beautiful lots, an updated kitchen, etc., etc., etc. And, schools don't guarantees value any more than other important factors like location.

The point is that a home buyer should pay for what benefits him or her. Yes, location is very important and people should consider that. Around here there are many tradeoffs to make that are much more extreme than in less expensive cities. It is stupid to pay for things that you don't need and give up other things that you do.

The other parts of Arlington that I identified are not undesirable parts of town. Are you sure you aren't a homeowner trying to pump up your neighborhood?
Are you sure you're not a homeowner trying to get people to buy where you bought?

Buying a car isn't the same as buying a house. You can get rid of a car easier than getting rid of a house.

And, comparing the 'burbs to Georgetown (city) is ridiculous. People who can afford Georgetown probably have their kids going to private school anyway.

There are many factors that add to the value of a house and make it more desirable if and when it hits the market. They include schools, proximity to jobs, and proximity to public transportation to name a few. Those who live in the 'burbs though, probably have a car so public transportation is not as important as the other factors.

Buying a home is an investment. Buying a car is not. Therefore, people should look at a home not only for their own needs, but the marketability of that home to others down the line.

Old 07-03-2010, 07:57 PM

14,129 posts, read 31,253,676 times
Quote:
Buying a home is an investment. Buying a car is not. Therefore, people should look at a home not only for their own needs, but the marketability of that home to others down the line.
What marketability? The houses in the cheaper neighborhoods usually sell faster. When real estate hits the skids the high end homes are the ones that sit on the market for a long time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia