Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2009, 12:46 PM

1 posts, read 4,785 times

Advertisements

I've submitted an offer to purchase a short-sale property in the Fairfax area. I received my approval letter and my agent received the sellers ratified contract back. We submitted our offer on Monday, 3/23 the sellers agent believes we'll receive the banks approval in 4 weeks. I listed the closing date of May 22 2009 on my offer letter but I would like to extend the closing till the 2nd week of June. Is it possible to extend the closing date till June 14th now that the agent has ratified the contract? I'm concerned about the cushion around my down-payment, we've asked the seller to cover the closing costs. I would feel more comfortable receiving the deductible back from my current rental and an extra $4000 in the bank from the first paycheck in June.

So, in short can I request the closing date to be extended into June even if the sellers agent has ratified the contract? We're still waiting for the bank to approve, but if it takes them till the 2nd week of May then I'm not worried as I believe we have 30 days after the bank approves to close?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2009, 12:59 PM

2 posts, read 6,150 times
Most likely it will not close any sooner that June given the bank approval process. But yes, you can write an amendment to the contract to change the closing date. It will have to be approved by the seller and the bank also.

Old 03-28-2009, 03:09 PM

948 posts, read 3,359,506 times
Default Don't think YOU have many options

In my personal experience the bank will tell you what their timeline is! I can't imagine the seller paying closing costs in a ss either. You may not hear anything back from the bank for a couple of months. A closing date from you should be considered a wish list. The bank is running the show. I think my short sale had a closing date change at least 4 or 5 times. I honestly forget how many times due to all the back and forth and then nothing and then more back and forth with a rushed closing date that we had to jump through hoops to make happen.

Old 03-29-2009, 05:36 AM

80 posts, read 321,041 times
I agree with skatergirl. Don't count on getting your closing costs paid. The bank won't pay anything in a short sale. Think of it as a foreclosure that someone is living in.

Old 10-29-2009, 10:03 AM

1 posts, read 3,977 times
banks will pay closing costs - dont believe the nay sayers. Just be persistent! I just got an approved contract from the bank on a house in Southern Maryland, and they agreed to pay 5% for closing costs on a property selling for 385,000.

Old 11-01-2009, 01:04 AM

1,775 posts, read 6,361,017 times
I have a pending bank approval to pay 3% on a short sale. The bank doesn't actually pay for anything. They just net that much less from the buyer's funds. It's not a done deal yet, but the 3% was never an issue.

Old 11-01-2009, 06:34 AM

1,059 posts, read 2,965,718 times
Freddie Mac (FHLMC) has a program called "Home Steps". The seller (if it is a foreclosure Freddie Mac is the seller) will pay up to 3.5% toward closing costs. Ask your Realtor to look for Home Steps foreclosures, there is a bonus for the selling agent also. Your Realtor can sign up for the Home Steps program and get advance notice of foreclosures that are not yet in the MLS.

Old 03-20-2010, 08:53 PM

1 posts, read 3,302 times
I just sold my home in a short sale, and the person that bought the ss waited just as long as we did. In the end when everything was approved the bank decided when the closing would happen and when they wanted to receive their money. You can request an extension to the bank but you have to have a failed reason for requesting the extension. i used this amazing law firm that helped everyone (seller,buyer,agents) with the process. I think that my experience as a seller was made as easy as possible thanks to this law firm it's in Annandale VA and the person that handled the short sale progress nows almost everything about ss and you might want to call them just to see if you can get your questions answered. Mason Law Firm in Annandale and ask to speak to Cintia Sosa she can help you.

Old 03-23-2010, 10:32 AM

982 posts, read 3,489,733 times
Your best bet is to have your agent write up an addendum asking to push the closing date out...but do it NOW. It is totally possible to get approval much quicker than what I've seen on this board, I've gotten approvals in as little as 8 days.

The earlier you get the addendum to change the settlement date in to the seller and bank, the better. After the bank sets the closing date, their level of flexibility becomes almost non-existent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mediapirate View Post
I've submitted an offer to purchase a short-sale property in the Fairfax area. I received my approval letter and my agent received the sellers ratified contract back. We submitted our offer on Monday, 3/23 the sellers agent believes we'll receive the banks approval in 4 weeks. I listed the closing date of May 22 2009 on my offer letter but I would like to extend the closing till the 2nd week of June. Is it possible to extend the closing date till June 14th now that the agent has ratified the contract? I'm concerned about the cushion around my down-payment, we've asked the seller to cover the closing costs. I would feel more comfortable receiving the deductible back from my current rental and an extra $4000 in the bank from the first paycheck in June.

So, in short can I request the closing date to be extended into June even if the sellers agent has ratified the contract? We're still waiting for the bank to approve, but if it takes them till the 2nd week of May then I'm not worried as I believe we have 30 days after the bank approves to close?

Old 03-23-2010, 12:06 PM

738 posts, read 2,959,310 times
My roommate has been waiting on a short sale property for close a year now. The seller's accepted her offer back in July, the bank "acknowledged" the offer in late August, she was given a verbal approval and told she would be able to close at the end of November. That date passed, the bank approver changed, she had little communication and was just now told they'd be closing on April 30th. I honestly would not be surprised to see that date change as well.

So be wary of someone telling you only 4 weeks to get a short sale approved. I've had several friends attempt to buy a short sale and wait several months, have them fall through after several months, or are still waiting indefinitely. It's a rough process. I'm sure it's possible to have them approved in 8 days if the bank is motivated somehow or you get lucky, but no one I've heard of has been that lucky.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia