Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2010, 09:10 PM

628 posts, read 1,934,000 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcity View Post
Well, some of them do. How long has that old Circuit City in Springfield been abandoned?

To clarify, I don't mean the one on Loisdale that's becoming an hhGregg. I mean the one on Old Keene Mill.

Such a great location right next to 495, 95, and 395, but like Landmark Mall, it's cursed with bad access. You have to make a U-Turn to access it from any of those highways.
This CC store has been closed for 5-10 years--I just can't remember exactly. The Long John Silver restaurant next to it and right on Old Keene Mill Rd, as well as a couple restaurants across the street, have been shuttered for many years, too. My guess is that one factor preventing others from moving in is the hold on downtown Springfield revitalization due to the downturned economy. Marriott built a hotel on the old Houlihan site nearby, but that's been it for new construction.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2010, 09:52 PM

4,709 posts, read 12,677,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denton56 View Post
Why wouldn't WalMart open in PG county? It's a very successful business. They know what they're doing. Why do they think Walmart wouldn't work in PG county, the richest black county in the US? Walmart has been very successful in Black areas in the south.

Oh wait, I know. It's Maryland's high taxes. Many businesses won't go there because of the high taxes.

Well, I dunno....from the WalMart corporate website: there are 56 WalMart stores in Maryland....and 108 in Virginia.

Virginia is FOUR times the size of Maryland in land area. Hell, it's us Virginians that are getting the short end of the WalMart stick! I wonder if Bobby knows about this?

Old 07-06-2010, 10:11 PM

4,709 posts, read 12,677,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by statecollege View Post
This CC store has been closed for 5-10 years--I just can't remember exactly. The Long John Silver restaurant next to it and right on Old Keene Mill Rd, as well as a couple restaurants across the street, have been shuttered for many years, too. My guess is that one factor preventing others from moving in is the hold on downtown Springfield revitalization due to the downturned economy. Marriott built a hotel on the old Houlihan site nearby, but that's been it for new construction.

The Fairfax County Board of Supervisors bought the old Circuit City store in March for $4.5 million....I wonder what's up with that?

Old 07-07-2010, 06:20 AM

14,129 posts, read 31,257,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by car54 View Post
The Fairfax County Board of Supervisors bought the old Circuit City store in March for $4.5 million....I wonder what's up with that?
Perhaps that's where they're going to put the tent city.

Old 07-07-2010, 09:19 AM

Location: Ft. Washington/Oxon Hill border, MD (Prince George's County)
321 posts, read 812,835 times
Though I do shop at many stores in Alexandria a mere 5-10 minutes across the bridge, on the very rare occasions that I shop at Walmart (barely twice a year) I go to the one in Clinton, Maryland or order online with free shipping. I personally prefer Target which we do not have nearby in Southern PG....my options are Waldorf or Alexandria. The developer of the Nat'l Harbor was trying to put one here not far from the Nat'l Harbor but the Sierra Club and local activists fought it because the location was near historic grounds with slave graves. Truth be told, Amazon.com prices and free shipping beats both their prices on most things I want most of the time (including many baby items I purchased after the birth of my child...whenever I compared BabiesRUs, Walmart and Target pricing Amazon won out) so I mainly order everything online. I even get some bulk favorite grocery items from Amazon...some of my fav food items from Wegmans and Whole Foods (Inkos tea, Bear Naked granola, natural aluminum free deoderant, Just Tomatoes dried fruit and veggies) I find on Amazon and order them and often find a wider variety of flavors/options/sizes than are sold in the stores. Amazon also has more Made In the USA and organic/holistic/natural ingredient offerings that I prefer and made in USA natural material toys for baby.

Old 07-07-2010, 02:38 PM

2,688 posts, read 6,684,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by car54 View Post
They're idiots, that's what.

Old 07-07-2010, 02:44 PM

2,688 posts, read 6,684,708 times
Notice that Supervisor McKay neglected to mention the price tag in his press release:

http://www.fairfaxcounty.gov/lee/pdf...e_purchase.pdf

Old 07-08-2010, 08:49 PM

4 posts, read 13,139 times
Walmart breaks child labor laws and runs locals out of business. Just sayin..Savings for some..huge losses for the bulk of us.

Old 01-20-2011, 01:33 PM

3,307 posts, read 9,383,184 times
Old thread I know, but the new Walmart+groceries has taken its first casualty. The dilapidated Shoppers across Route 1 will be closing:

Supervalu Posts $202 Million 3rd Qtr. Loss; Stock Hits 25-Year Low | Food World | Food Trade News

(long article about Shoppers' parent company's struggles- the closing part is somewhere in the middle).

Old 01-20-2011, 01:55 PM

8,982 posts, read 21,171,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcity View Post
Old thread I know, but the new Walmart+groceries has taken its first casualty. The dilapidated Shoppers across Route 1 will be closing:

Supervalu Posts $202 Million 3rd Qtr. Loss; Stock Hits 25-Year Low | Food World | Food Trade News

(long article about Shoppers' parent company's struggles- the closing part is somewhere in the middle).
I figured it was a matter of time. Except for a bit more convenience for those close to the Beltway -or withing walking distance - it's a bit redundant with the other Shoppers less than a mile south.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia