Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-01-2010, 03:10 PM

2 posts, read 1,875 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone,

First off, I'm posting because it looks like there are a bunch of great people on here that are willing to offer good advice, so I figured I'd throw this out there. I'm in Alexandria, work in Sterling, near Dulles, and am looking to move in October nearer to work. Here's what I'm looking for:

- close to metro (doesn't have to be walking distance)
- 1 bedroom, max $1,200 a month
- close to the W&OD trail (I'm a runner, trail seems like a gem)
- don't need to be in the center of it all, but I am single in my 30's so something with a bit of activity
- some place that's not too noisy, clean, and well kept up

So here's the problem. I've been looking at Fairfax, Falls Church and Vienna areas. Doing the research, I see apartments that meet my price range, but when I dig deeper (apartmentratings.com for one) I see story after story of crappy landlords, super thin walls, and roaches - even stories about mice, rats and bedbugs! Now, I get that apartment living has downsides, but this seems a bit over the top. Especially when I see condos through individuals for the same price or even cheaper.

My question - where do you live, or where have you lived, and what are my options? I have to move in October, and I don't want to get into a place where I'm going to be miserable. Are apartments really this bad at my rate? Should I not even consider a complex, and just go with a private home? Is Reston an okay place for getting into the city every so often, even though it's a trek to the metro? I thought I was past the roommate part of my life, but if that's the only option... Basically, I'm flexible, I'd just like some feedback from some real life situations.

Thanks so much for any replies/advice/etc. I really like Nova (been here 3 months so far), and would like to continue my run of good luck here.

Thanks!

Jonathan
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia