Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-18-2010, 11:44 PM

6 posts, read 12,839 times

Advertisements

I am starting a capital markets job in Rosslyn that starts in September. The morning starts at 7AM promptly and I understand that most members of the team I'll be working with live in the Courthouse/Claredone(sp?) area or DC. I am expecting 11hr to 12hr days so that would mean a return commute time of around 6pm'ish. I'll be looking for a 2br apartment approx. $2,000/month with access to park areas where I'll be able to run with my girlfriend and boxer in the morning and on weekends.

If I hope to keep my morning commute down to 30min. and arriving at 6:45AM, how far out might I be able to look? I think I'd like to consider living somewhere off the Orange line, but don't know how far out I should be looking. I have 30 days of corporate housing to help me make the transition, so when I arrive to NOVA in a week, I'll need to start looking as soon as I arrive. Looking forward to your input.

TIA - John
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2010, 11:26 AM

2,462 posts, read 8,923,464 times
Are you planning to take the Metro or drive?
If you really want a 30 minute door to door commute, and you're hoping to take the Metro, you shouldn't look any further out than the Ballston stop on the Orange Line. The East Falls Church station is located in a neighborhood with few rental apartments within walking distance, and West Falls Church isn't much better (unless you are willing to drive or take a bus to the Metro, which will make the 30 minute commute iffy).
Others may have more accurate information, but I'm not sure you'll find a 2 BR apt in DC for $2k within walking distance of a metro station that will get you to Roslyn in 30 minutes.
If you're planning to drive, you can look in other areas, but you might be surprised how little distance you will cover by car leaving Roslyn at 6-ish in the evenings.
Now you see why most of your team lives in the Courthouse/Clarendon area.

Old 08-19-2010, 04:37 PM

384 posts, read 1,029,507 times
Have you thought about Rossyln? The bike/jogging path access is excellent. It is right by the Key Bridge.

Old 08-19-2010, 07:30 PM

798 posts, read 2,728,803 times
Don't know what your other criteria is but the blue line runs in to Rosslyn as well so may offer you some less expensive places to rent with the jogging options you mentioned.. It does not go in to Clarendon, Courthouse or Ballston so may not be what you are looking for.. The metro trip planner will give you an idea of commute times if you plan to metro.
Metro - Home page

Old 08-20-2010, 09:56 AM

219 posts, read 472,351 times
Definitely you're best bet to look for a rental along the orange line corridor to Ballston, from Rosslyn to Ballston. Lots of apartment/condo buildings, you could drive or metro to work, very convenient to work and to play. With your hours you don't want to add much commuting on top of that. Personally, I like www.homesdatabase.com for researching what's available for sale/rent.

Old 08-21-2010, 10:08 AM

2,612 posts, read 5,586,790 times
Why not River Station right in Rosslyn? No commute at all. It's condos, but many are privately rented. I worked in Rosslyn many years ago, and everyone I worked with pretty much lived there. Very lively place. Recently some friends of mine bought a place there and they liked it too. There have also been some good comments on it on this board.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia