Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2010, 07:54 AM

648 posts, read 1,334,070 times

Advertisements

So, I found this amazing room for rent in a gorgeous townhouse in a gorgeous neighborhood off of West Ox Road.

Does anyone know anything about this neighborhood? I don't think I'm worried about crime because this area is so beautiful and looks so new.
Also, would anyone know about the Fairfax --> Reston commute?
When I map it, it's only 8.6 miles, but I don't think that means much if everyone is going the same direction (if so, can anyone calculate the time or know off hand?).

Anyway, I wasn't really looking to live in Fairfax, but the owner was nice enough to allow me to have BOTH of my dogs (in a beautiful TH), which I thought would be an impossible feat.

If anyone can give me some feedback, I'd appreciate it!

P.S. I know there are different threads regarding Fairfax, but those people had a different situation than I do
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2010, 08:00 AM

15,402 posts, read 28,951,973 times
Congratulations! I'm not an expert on the area, but as far as I know it's a nice place to live and a low crime area. A lot of people your age live near the govt. center, so you should have no trouble finding meet up groups and a few fun places to hang out.

Old 09-09-2010, 08:00 AM

810 posts, read 1,025,482 times
I understand you may not want to give the address away, but if you can at least tell us which neighborhood at West Ox Road you're talking about

Are you talking about the Fair Lakes/Fair Oaks area?

Old 09-09-2010, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tongyang View Post
I understand you may not want to give the address away, but if you can at least tell us which neighborhood at West Ox Road you're talking about

Are you talking about the Fair Lakes/Fair Oaks area?
You know, I don't know what the neighborhood is called, but it's right across the street from a center with Nordstrom Rack in it...Does that help any? haha

Old 09-09-2010, 08:46 AM

660 posts, read 1,705,636 times
Oh, I have a lot of friends who live really close to there. It's perfectly safe, and there are a lot of restaurants (mostly chains, with a few independent places here and there) a few minutes away by car. Plus, you're close to the most amazing Whole Foods, ever, or at least in the Mid-Atlantic. I'd rather live in Reston, personally, but if you like the TH and the dog situation is ideal, you won't feel out of place as a woman in your twenties.

As far as commuting to Reston is concerned, I know that Reston Parkway and Fairfax County Parkway both tend to clog up with people driving from Fairfax to Reston in the mornings (Reston to Fairfax is more of a "reverse commute"). One of my friends lives at Route 50 and Fairfax County Parkway and works in Reston, though, and he says that his commute is only 20-30 minutes.

Old 09-09-2010, 08:54 AM

430 posts, read 1,059,626 times
I live in the Camden apartments right near those townhouses. My wife and I are in our twenties. We walk all over the place around there. The only time I felt scared was with some of the insane drivers leaving Fair Oaks Mall. We both commute to Chantilly so I can't tell you the Reston commute time. We have been living there for about 2 months now and have really enjoyed it. Especially a late night walk to Silver Diner for a milk shake.

Old 09-09-2010, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen 81 View Post
Oh, I have a lot of friends who live really close to there. It's perfectly safe, and there are a lot of restaurants (mostly chains, with a few independent places here and there) a few minutes away by car. Plus, you're close to the most amazing Whole Foods, ever, or at least in the Mid-Atlantic. I'd rather live in Reston, personally, but if you like the TH and the dog situation is ideal, you won't feel out of place as a woman in your twenties.

As far as commuting to Reston is concerned, I know that Reston Parkway and Fairfax County Parkway both tend to clog up with people driving from Fairfax to Reston in the mornings (Reston to Fairfax is more of a "reverse commute"). One of my friends lives at Route 50 and Fairfax County Parkway and works in Reston, though, and he says that his commute is only 20-30 minutes.
20-30 minutes is not bad and totally worth being able to have my dogs

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghett61 View Post
I live in the Camden apartments right near those townhouses. My wife and I are in our twenties. We walk all over the place around there. The only time I felt scared was with some of the insane drivers leaving Fair Oaks Mall. We both commute to Chantilly so I can't tell you the Reston commute time. We have been living there for about 2 months now and have really enjoyed it. Especially a late night walk to Silver Diner for a milk shake.
I figured it was somewhat safe, because I've never seen so many people who jog at 10pm!

Old 09-09-2010, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by normie View Post
Congratulations! I'm not an expert on the area, but as far as I know it's a nice place to live and a low crime area. A lot of people your age live near the govt. center, so you should have no trouble finding meet up groups and a few fun places to hang out.

Thanks, Normie!!

Old 09-09-2010, 09:35 AM

4,264 posts, read 9,280,639 times
I don't really have anything to add, just wanted to say congratulations on finding a place and getting to keep you dogs, that is no small feat.

Old 09-09-2010, 09:37 AM

15,402 posts, read 28,951,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katyusha25 View Post
You know, I don't know what the neighborhood is called, but it's right across the street from a center with Nordstrom Rack in it...Does that help any? haha
You're walking distance to Nordstrom Rack? LOL, I know how you like to shop so that DOES sound like a perfect place for you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia