Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2013, 08:52 PM

94 posts, read 177,093 times

Advertisements

So I was reading an article in the Economist that suggested that public (ie local tax funded) preschools do exist.

Social mobility in America: Repairing the rungs on the ladder | The Economist

My question: are there any in NOVA?

I'm in that income range where on paper I'm too rich for head start but in reality I don't have a 2nd job to pay $20k/yr in preschool tuition.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2013, 09:00 PM

Are there preschool coops? Other options?

Old 02-28-2013, 09:05 PM

Nevermind - I found my answer here:

Public preschools in Fairfax Co??

Surprising that this doesn't exist. $350/month is much more affordable than $20k, though.

Old 03-01-2013, 04:53 AM

2,136 posts, read 5,312,092 times
Loudoun County has it for special needs. However, both the Loudoun Parks and Recs and the Town of Leesburg offer inexpensive preschool programs that are in very high demand.

I can't speak for Fairfax, but Loudoun can't even find the money to pay for full-day kindergarten. They certainly aren't going to be funding universal pre-K anytime soon.

Old 03-01-2013, 07:35 AM

2,462 posts, read 8,923,464 times
Do you mean full-time daycare or part-time preschool? There are plenty of private, part-time preschools with tuition rates well under $20K.

Old 03-02-2013, 09:21 AM

2,825 posts, read 6,893,983 times
My Special ed teacher says FFX County Title I schools have kept their preschools. I live in a title I school pyramid with its preschool intact. However I am low income and the elementary is majority esl/free breakfast/free lunch in my pyramid. Since almost all posters on this forum are 6 figure income or retired 5 digit income with dual retirement, most posters here are very intimitated/scared of such schools. If its any consolation, there are a few diplomat kids that are at our school.

Old 03-15-2013, 09:50 PM

I mean part-time preschool. Day care is laughably too expensive. My wife is underemployed, which means she can either work a job waiting tables and have her entire income go to day-care, or she can stay home and raise our child (currently a baby) and do occasional contract work that actual uses her degree. Which would you choose?

It's funny how our society has gone back to a situation where one parent stays home with the kids due to necessity. While my wife would very much like to use her degree, in the absence of jobs, getting to raise your own child is a pretty good runner-up.

However, it seems clear from scientific research and common sense that once the baby is a couple years old it would be good to get some regular interaction with other children and extra early education.

Not surprising that the posters here have 6 figure incomes, after all the median household income in DC is 6 figures.

Yeah, I don't know anything about Title I schools, is there an income cutoff to get in? Or is it only special ed?

Old 03-15-2013, 10:15 PM

2,612 posts, read 5,586,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mormegil27 View Post
So I was reading an article in the Economist that suggested that public (ie local tax funded) preschools do exist.

Social mobility in America: Repairing the rungs on the ladder | The Economist

My question: are there any in NOVA?

I'm in that income range where on paper I'm too rich for head start but in reality I don't have a 2nd job to pay $20k/yr in preschool tuition.
Where do you get the figure 20K from?? That's private school for K and up, not preschool. Preschool is about 3000-4000/year for a 5 day, half day program. I pay 1800 now for 3 half days, and paid half of that for 2 days a week last year.

Old 03-15-2013, 10:25 PM

2,612 posts, read 5,586,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mormegil27 View Post
I mean part-time preschool. Day care is laughably too expensive. My wife is underemployed, which means she can either work a job waiting tables and have her entire income go to day-care, or she can stay home and raise our child (currently a baby) and do occasional contract work that actual uses her degree. Which would you choose?

It's funny how our society has gone back to a situation where one parent stays home with the kids due to necessity. While my wife would very much like to use her degree, in the absence of jobs, getting to raise your own child is a pretty good runner-up.

However, it seems clear from scientific research and common sense that once the baby is a couple years old it would be good to get some regular interaction with other children and extra early education.

Not surprising that the posters here have 6 figure incomes, after all the median household income in DC is 6 figures.

Yeah, I don't know anything about Title I schools, is there an income cutoff to get in? Or is it only special ed?
Title 1 is just a designation for a public school that has a certain percentage of low-income students. It's just a regular school. If you live in the boundary, then you go to that school. But they don't all have preschools. Also, it would not be my first choice of preschool. You didn't say where you live, but if you do even a cursory search for preschools you will see plenty around you that are relatively inexpensive.

Old 03-16-2013, 05:51 PM

9,779 posts, read 15,793,171 times
Many of the preschools in NoVA seem to be church-run, and they are not, generally, too expensive. Usually, they are 9-12, and some offer an extra hour for lunch. Options are often 2, 3, or 5 days a week, and should run about $300-$700 per month.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia