Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2010, 10:22 AM

6 posts, read 12,180 times

Advertisements

Just offered a job at Forth Belvoir and I have no idea where to start looking. I am a 25 years old single guy just out of school. Right now I am living in Mississippi so my local knowledge is a bit limited. I don't want to have too long a commute (under 30 min preferably) but I would rather live where there are plenty of things to do (I am again, a singe guy). I am looking at probably a budget of about 1500 a month or so. Near a Metro would be nice but I doubt I can afford a nice place near one. So far I have been thinking ether Alexandria or Arlington. Any advice?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2010, 11:00 AM

14,129 posts, read 31,238,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plotster View Post
Just offered a job at Forth Belvoir and I have no idea where to start looking. I am a 25 years old single guy just out of school. Right now I am living in Mississippi so my local knowledge is a bit limited. I don't want to have too long a commute (under 30 min preferably) but I would rather live where there are plenty of things to do (I am again, a singe guy). I am looking at probably a budget of about 1500 a month or so. Near a Metro would be nice but I doubt I can afford a nice place near one. So far I have been thinking ether Alexandria or Arlington. Any advice?
Metros not really an option unless you want to spend most of the time on a bus. If I were in your shoes I'd get a nice 2br condo in Old Town with a roommate and commute down the GW Parkway. Nice drive that should take you less than 30 minutes depending on conditions at the gate and where on base you'll be located.

Old 10-07-2010, 12:22 PM

12,905 posts, read 15,650,359 times
Several of the younger guys where I work (late 20s) who cannot afford to live on their own in Clarendon (the hot place for young, out of college singles) have rented in the Huntington area. They seem happy there. It is near a metro stop so you could use the Metro to get around in DC and surrounding areas and it would give you a good commute to work.

I'm not familiar with any of the apartment complexes there but I'm sure someone here is who can chime in and list some favorable ones.

Old 10-07-2010, 01:08 PM

518 posts, read 924,613 times
To further what Christine said. You can probably get a studio or 1-BR apartment near the Huntington metro with your budget. Huntington is in the 22303 zip code and is probably your best bets for finding a place to live near a metro within your commute time. You might also try the Franconia/Springfield area the metro there is in the 22150 zip code, which is also really close to Ft. Belvoir, but tends to have fewer apartments in the area.

Old 10-07-2010, 01:35 PM

As someone who's the parent of one his age and who lives in that area I heartily disagree. For a 25 year old single guy, Huntington or Franconia/Springfield would be really dull. Go with the roommate in a nicer, more happening place like Old Town or Clarendon.

Old 10-08-2010, 08:20 AM

I agree with you on the interest level of the area CAVA, but being near the Metro makes all of the DC metro area accessible. Also, living in Clarendon doubles his commute time at the least and Old Town is much more expensive to live in and the problems with finding a good roommate can be annoying to say the least. I grew up and currently live in that area and having easy access to a metro makes everything accessible. Hang out in Old Town one night, go out and troll the bars in the U street area the next, then head out to Bethesda or Silver Spring the night after that. No worrying about a designated driver, no worries about getting lost navigating across the city. The metro is a young adult's best friend and the best way to find a niche where you are comfortable spending your free-time.

Old 10-08-2010, 08:24 AM

282 posts, read 873,019 times
Yeah, I think the OP would be on the Metro to Old Town constantly if he lived in Huntington. However, a 1BR can be had in Old Town within his budget (HomesDatabase - Home for Sale and Rent in DC, Maryland, Virginia, West Virginia, and Pennsylvania 22124, mostly).

Old 10-08-2010, 08:45 AM

This is assuming that the crowd in and around Old Town is his cup of tea. We don't really know anything about OP and can only really base our decisions on the criteria he posted. The Huntington area is within his budget and commute constraints and being close to the Metro gives him access to plenty of things to do.

What it boils down to Plotster is that these are the key areas you should look at. Everyone on the forum looks at things slightly differently and you need to make that final decision yourself. A couple of questions you should ask yourself is what is the importance of the criteria you set out and how do you intend to get around? Once you have priortized those things, then you can get a better idea of where to live. Huntington is quiet by way of things to do, and Old Town is a slight bit further out and expensive.

Old 10-08-2010, 09:42 AM

How about the condos and apts. near Belle View shopping center between Fort Hunt Rd. and the Parkway? You're close enough to Old Town you can even bike there on the path and are an easy drive down the parkway to Fort Belvoir. Pretty quiet but there are a lot of upscale singles and younger couples in that area. If someone opened a bar in the Belle View center they'd make a fortune.

Old 10-08-2010, 11:59 AM

Opening a bar or a nice pub there would be a money-maker.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia