Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2010, 08:34 PM

8,673 posts, read 22,905,462 times

Advertisements

Students from all over Prince William County are planning a counter-protest to WBC's protest at the Woodbridge High School on Monday, November 15th at 7 AM. The school is on a major route in Woodbridge, so if you commute thru this area, find another way.

For those not familiar w/ WBC, this is the same group that protested at the Tomb of the Unknown on Veteran's Day in Arlington.

You can find why the protest at www.godhatesfags.com Another extremist group acts in the name of religion. I am definitely a conservative, but I think I need to go in support of Woodbridge HS, because WBC is everything I think religion shouldn't be.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2010, 08:36 PM

7,670 posts, read 14,234,258 times
Woodbridge HS is asking that people do not come out to counter protest. I doubt this will stop people but they are asking everyone to stay away.

Old 11-11-2010, 08:39 PM

13,784 posts, read 26,244,003 times
I attended a peaceful counter protest here in Richmond and I would highly advise anyone considering the same, to STAY HOME...these people are crass, hateful and bigoted, attention junkies who do not deserve any attention from good people like yourself...wish I had never gone and fed their addiction...

Old 11-11-2010, 08:39 PM

413 posts, read 1,164,679 times
How big is the crowd going to be? Isn't there regulations that prevents a gathering of this supposed size disrupting the peace of a school function and the thousands of cars that are gonna drive by?

Old 11-12-2010, 12:36 AM

1,295 posts, read 2,508,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrstewart View Post
I attended a peaceful counter protest here in Richmond and I would highly advise anyone considering the same, to STAY HOME...these people are crass, hateful and bigoted, attention junkies who do not deserve any attention from good people like yourself...wish I had never gone and fed their addiction...
Their cruelty is astonishing. They are also protesting at a popular high school teacher's funeral in my home town this week (Omaha)---she was struck and killed by a car while leaving school. Doesn't the Baptist Church have any control over their members?

Old 11-12-2010, 03:53 AM

8,673 posts, read 22,905,462 times
Here is the letter: http://woodbridgehs.schools.pwcs.edu...0ceadec45e2075

I can understand the effort not to elevate WBC event and will probably in the end, stay away from the school protest.

It just irritates me to no end that this group does not get it and only draws more energy from public disdain.

Old 11-12-2010, 04:04 AM

1,558 posts, read 3,855,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
I'm guessing from that statement you were raised a Catholic?
Let's not do what this faction of religous folks does - pit Christian against Christian, person against person, all in the name of God to try and incite hate. Everyone believes that they are 'right' so it is generally going to be a lose, lose situation.

I think that we can all agree that these folks are not in this to preach love. As much as I would like to go and protest....what is the point? If these folks show up to protest....and no one shows up to counter them... They will be left standing there trying to 'preach' to nobody....well, as we all know - that's no fun. Leave them be and don't give them the attention they are looking for. But, that's my opinion. If one feels the need to go....than that is certainly their perogative.

Old 11-12-2010, 05:48 AM

26,700 posts, read 41,718,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartMoney View Post
Students from all over Prince William County are planning a counter-protest to WBC's protest at the Woodbridge High School on Monday, November 15th at 7 AM. The school is on a major route in Woodbridge, so if you commute thru this area, find another way.

For those not familiar w/ WBC, this is the same group that protested at the Tomb of the Unknown on Veteran's Day in Arlington.

You can find why the protest at www.godhatesfags.com Another extremist group acts in the name of religion. I am definitely a conservative, but I think I need to go in support of Woodbridge HS, because WBC is everything I think religion shouldn't be.
These folks are no-class-having . As a sensible Christian, I can safely say these Westboro jerks are gonna reap what they sow. They are going to PO the wrong family one day.

I think that sadly the counter-protest at Woodbridge HS is gonna give them exactly what they want, attention.

Old 11-12-2010, 06:09 AM

6,555 posts, read 8,381,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smithy77 View Post
Doesn't the Baptist Church have any control over their members?
It is my understanding that they are an independent organization (I refuse to use the word "church" when referring to these hate filled people). It's members mostly consist of the "pastor's" family. So they aren't governed by any Baptist association.

Basically, you have some nut who rallied his family members and decided to call it a Baptist church. As long it's operating within the law, basically, anyone could create a "church" and name it as such.

They are attention hounds. They love attention from the media and others, even the counter-protesters. It's difficult to do but I think the best thing is to ignore them completely.

Old 11-12-2010, 06:27 AM

14,129 posts, read 31,238,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vermonter16 View Post
Let's not do what this faction of religous folks does - pit Christian against Christian, person against person, all in the name of God to try and incite hate.
You can save the sermonizing. I was making the point that protestant churches are pretty loose knit organizations with no central control figure like a pope and no hammer like excommunication. I could only assume a non-protestant wouldn't have realized that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia