Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2011, 02:26 PM

8,826 posts, read 15,322,548 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrence81 View Post
I totally agree. We have roughly the same metro population as Atlanta but their highways are light years ahead of VA. Northern Virginia alone has 2,000,000 plus all the commuters that come in from the District and Maryland how in the world can having 2 and 3 lane highways be justified. They should've been expanded decades ago!
And that's considering the 2 and 3 lane highways. Have you ever seen how traffic backs up on the 2 lane country roads with cars traveling between PW County and Fairfax County? I'm thinking of those from Manassas through Clifton. I'm sure there are other examples.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2011, 02:32 PM

2,502 posts, read 3,406,007 times
Unfortunately, it's about to get even more crowded here. BRAC brings new people to Fort Belvoir and the new Mark Center off 395 soon. These roads are not set up for moving the massive numbers of people.

Old 01-20-2011, 03:01 PM

4,036 posts, read 9,245,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beatlecrazy View Post
I agree with everyone too. It is such a transient community. We moved in 2005, so I guess a little bit before the recession. My husband moved because of his job, and I just wanted to get away from the Philly area. He didn't like Maryland too much, and he really didn't want to live in DC, so we moved to Manassas. Traffic around suburban Philadelphia is just as heinous, IMHO. It would take me just as long to get to work as it does here, but that area is less transient.
When me and my old man went up to Philly a couple months we got caught in rush hour traffic. I'm sorry but to me the traffic in Philly was a nuisance but nothing like 66 or the beltway. Or better yet the 14th street bridge on a Tuesday afternoon with no AC in the summer time.

Old 01-20-2011, 03:03 PM

4,036 posts, read 9,245,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgbwc View Post
And that's considering the 2 and 3 lane highways. Have you ever seen how traffic backs up on the 2 lane country roads with cars traveling between PW County and Fairfax County? I'm thinking of those from Manassas through Clifton. I'm sure there are other examples.
Not really I'm not usually out that way during rush hour. But when I lived in Fairfax county I do remember how bad the traffic was on regular roads. Going to the Giant in Oakton took 20 minutes despite being 1.5 miles from the condo I was staying in at the time.

Old 01-20-2011, 03:18 PM

8,982 posts, read 21,171,724 times
Quote:
When me and my old man went up to Philly a couple months we got caught in rush hour traffic. I'm sorry but to me the traffic in Philly was a nuisance but nothing like 66 or the beltway. Or better yet the 14th street bridge on a Tuesday afternoon with no AC in the summer time.
Philly could use more/widened highways...but yes, even on its worst days, a Philly traffic is only an above-average day in NOVA.

Of course, I-95 is the Great Equalizer!

Old 01-20-2011, 03:48 PM

26,700 posts, read 41,748,461 times
Quote:
I posted this on the DC forum but figured I'd post here as well. Since most folks say that traffic is worse on the VA side of things than MD.

Any theories as to why traffic is just so gosh darned bad here?

I have a few but figured I'd ask y'all.

Washington area tied with Chicago for traffic congestion, study finds
I'll tell you in four words:

Too many d^$# drivers!!!!!!!!

That is basically what it comes down to. Mass transit options which are more costly and less convenient for some commuters also plays a part.

Old 01-20-2011, 04:09 PM

1,051 posts, read 2,474,595 times
Quote:
Well, I meant the 'burbs of Philly, not the city itself. I lived about 15 mins from Philly in a small suburb, and it took me over an hour to get to work every day, when the trip should only have been 20 minutes. I never went into the city for much, except leisure trips. Schuylkill Expressway is pretty bad/unsafe, but I meant the suburbs.

Old 01-20-2011, 04:26 PM

15,436 posts, read 25,818,588 times
Everyone is making this seem like a recent phenomenon. Taffic in this area has been awful for years. We've been #2 for a long time now. It was only a matter of time until we hit #1.

Old 01-20-2011, 04:51 PM

1 posts, read 1,798 times
As far as Northern Virginia traffic goes: It's because there is only ONE freeway (Meaning FREE, and without lights) in the entire region. I-66. And we all know about how lovely a commute is on 66... Otherwise, its just 7 and the Dulles Toll Road. Many people I know refuse to take the toll road, which leaves 7 which is chock full of lights. I'm not sure why they refuse to build another freeway. My reccomendation is to take out the tolls on 267 (maybe make it a spur route of 66?) and I promise traffic would be much better around here.

Old 01-20-2011, 07:29 PM

323 posts, read 508,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chillgreens View Post
As far as Northern Virginia traffic goes: It's because there is only ONE freeway (Meaning FREE, and without lights) in the entire region. I-66. And we all know about how lovely a commute is on 66... Otherwise, its just 7 and the Dulles Toll Road. Many people I know refuse to take the toll road, which leaves 7 which is chock full of lights. I'm not sure why they refuse to build another freeway. My reccomendation is to take out the tolls on 267 (maybe make it a spur route of 66?) and I promise traffic would be much better around here.
Actually there's 4 free interstates - I-66, I-95, I-395, and I-495. VA-267 IS a freeway, despite having a toll. 28 and the George Washington Parkway are also mostly freeway.

The toll road has more traffic than it can handle during rush hour already, so I don't see what removing tolls would do for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia