Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2009, 08:06 AM

34 posts, read 117,875 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone,

Can anyone recommend a Catholic church in the towns above with a great sense of community and is more liberal than most?

Thanks.
T
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2009, 08:26 AM

1,183 posts, read 2,889,220 times
I was just going to post the exact same thing! We are moving to Burke and looking for a Catholic Church as well!

I hope you get some good responses!

Old 04-24-2009, 08:51 AM

4,437 posts, read 8,122,653 times
Can't offer any help other than this link. It seems to find the churches in my area so I'm assuming it factual. If it doesn't, I'll refund you the money you paid for this advice

U.S. Catholic Parishes Online Directory and Mass Times

Old 04-24-2009, 08:51 AM

2,688 posts, read 6,680,916 times
Diocese of Arlington - Parish Locator

Old 04-24-2009, 10:09 AM

1,534 posts, read 3,723,564 times
Liberal Catholic Church and Diocese of Arlington do not go together.

The two most "liberal" that I know of in the Arlington Diocese happen to be located in Arlington:

St. Charles Borromeo Catholic Church, Arlington (Clarendon), Virginia

and

OLQP Home

We are parishioners of OLQP and there are many, many families that make the trek each week from Burke, Viennna, etc.

Old 04-24-2009, 11:24 AM

2,136 posts, read 5,308,494 times
We recently started attending Christ the Redeemer in Sterling. Not exactly in the location you're seeking, but it's relatively more liberal than the average parish here since it's run by Franciscans instead of diocesan priests. As OrangeFish mentioned, the Diocese of Arlington is extremely conservative. They only started allowing altar girls within the last couple of years - and some parishes still won't have them (like St. Theresa in Ashburn).

Old 04-24-2009, 11:30 AM

1,261 posts, read 6,103,628 times
The previous posters are correct on the overall direction of the archdiocese; however, you have two options close to you. St. Mary of Sorrows in Fairfax does not have kneelers or a cry room. They are very family-oriented and definitely promote social justice causes. I know a few people who travel to that church because they consider it the "most progressive" in this area. I also know some families with young children who attend Mass at the historic church because the children are more involved. The Church of the Nativity is very popular, but also very large. They also promote social justice causes and during the election discouraged any type of political discussion on the candidates and their stand on issues that the Church upholds.

BTW, I agree with Orangefish's recommendations if you try these two in your neighborhood and they are not "liberal" enough for you.

Old 04-24-2009, 01:06 PM

230 posts, read 1,215,183 times
Am I the only one who thinks "liberal Catholicism" sounds just like "cafeteria Catholics"? Not targeting the OP, but if you find a liberal Catholic church, it is not really a Catholic church.

Anotherwords, if you find a Catholic church that supports pro-abortion/choice or same-sex marriages, it is not a Catholic church.

With that being said, Nativity in Burke is an excellent church with a great children's choir service. Also great and just down the road, is the new Saint Raymond's church in Springfield/Fairfax Station area off Hooes road.

Old 04-24-2009, 01:39 PM

2,825 posts, read 6,889,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZakAttack View Post
Am I the only one who thinks "liberal Catholicism" sounds just like "cafeteria Catholics"? Not targeting the OP, but if you find a liberal Catholic church, it is not really a Catholic church.

Anotherwords, if you find a Catholic church that supports pro-abortion/choice or same-sex marriages, it is not a Catholic church.

With that being said, Nativity in Burke is an excellent church with a great children's choir service. Also great and just down the road, is the new Saint Raymond's church in Springfield/Fairfax Station area off Hooes road.
I love you!

Old 04-27-2009, 08:42 PM

1 posts, read 7,575 times
If considering a "liberal, catholic" church, you might enjoy attending one of the Lutheran churches in your target area. Living Savior (LCMS) is off Ox Road near Fairfax Station. Lord of Life (ELCA) is off Twinbrook Road in Fairfax.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia