Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2011, 01:21 PM

5 posts, read 20,863 times

Advertisements

Hey all,

We moved to an apartment in Crystal City, Arlington VA 6 months ago and are new to this neighborhood. Our 4 yr old daughter is currently going to a day care. Since we take metro to work in DC; my wife having hectic schedules at work, considering us paying more than $1400 pm for day care is biting heavily on bills. Since my kid is ready to attend KG next year, we have lots of questions in mind:

1) Daycare vs Preschool
2) Are there any good Preschools in Arlington area?
3) What are our options for good elementary schools for KG for FY 2012 starting September 2011?

Again, your guidance and comments are appreciated. Thanks in Advance.

S
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2011, 01:33 PM

158 posts, read 378,912 times
When does your dd turn 5? She has to turn 5 by September 30 to attend Kindergarten. In Arlington, your address will determine what your choices are for elem school.

There are many excellent preschools in Arlington. You will find that most of them are half day unless it is in a daycare setting. Many of them are run through churches (but not neccesarily a heavily religious curriculum).

I am not familiar with the various daycare options but hopefully someone else can help!

Old 02-02-2011, 08:30 AM

Thanks for the information. Our daughter will turn into five by September 30'th. We live pretty close to the crystal city shopping area, close to all restaurants. Given by address, do you know is there any website online to determine which school district shall we belong to?

Yes, when we enquired about Keshet Child Development Center, they have very competitive program. However as you mentioned, they close by 1PM. Then we would have to hire a Nanny/baby sitter to take care of the kid until one of us comes back home.

Anyway, thanks for your valuable comments.

Old 02-02-2011, 08:43 AM

2,380 posts, read 4,513,808 times
Arlington Public Schools | Boundary (Attendance Area) Locator (http://www.apsva.us/15401081104047187/site/default.asp - broken link)

It has some links. I'm guessing from the boundary maps that you are zoned for Oakridge-Gunston-Wakefield.

If you like Arlington otherwise and have the savings, this is a problem that corrects itself -- I don't know what options there are for after-school care in Arlington since we moved out when DD was 15 months. But before/after school care is certainly cheaper than preschool care.

Old 02-02-2011, 10:02 AM

And Kindergarten is full day in Arlington so you would only need after care from about 3:45 until pick up. I know there was before/after care when I taught in Arlington but not sure if is guaranteed or a waiting list situation like in ffx county.

Old 02-02-2011, 12:34 PM

Default Thank you

Quote:
Originally Posted by stpickrell View Post
Arlington Public Schools | Boundary (Attendance Area) Locator (http://www.apsva.us/15401081104047187/site/default.asp - broken link)

It has some links. I'm guessing from the boundary maps that you are zoned for Oakridge-Gunston-Wakefield.

If you like Arlington otherwise and have the savings, this is a problem that corrects itself -- I don't know what options there are for after-school care in Arlington since we moved out when DD was 15 months. But before/after school care is certainly cheaper than preschool care.

I really appreciate sending those links to me. When I looked at one of the PDF documents, I figured out that our area comes under Oakridge Elementary School zone. greatschools.org has 6 out of 10 ratings for this schools. Do you have any idea about this school?

Old 02-02-2011, 12:39 PM

Default Thanks again

Quote:
Originally Posted by momtotwoboys View Post
And Kindergarten is full day in Arlington so you would only need after care from about 3:45 until pick up. I know there was before/after care when I taught in Arlington but not sure if is guaranteed or a waiting list situation like in ffx county.
Waiting list!!! Wow... I am glad that you have thrown light on waiting scenario. I have no clue on that. Do you think that we need to call the elementary school now and make sure to apply for the school as well as for after school care? It's only January now.

Old 02-02-2011, 02:07 PM

It wouldn't hurt to call the school and ask about before/aftercare. If you live in the boundary for the area you don't have to apply for the school (unless you are trying to get into one of the lottery based schools) but you might have to get on a list for the Extended Day Program (after school care). I know that in ffx county getting into SACC can have quite a waiting list but I am not sure about Arlington. Most of the schools will have a Kindergarten Open House in the Spring, but I would call now just to be on the safe side.

Old 02-18-2011, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by momtotwoboys View Post
It wouldn't hurt to call the school and ask about before/aftercare. If you live in the boundary for the area you don't have to apply for the school (unless you are trying to get into one of the lottery based schools) but you might have to get on a list for the Extended Day Program (after school care). I know that in ffx county getting into SACC can have quite a waiting list but I am not sure about Arlington. Most of the schools will have a Kindergarten Open House in the Spring, but I would call now just to be on the safe side.
Thank you very much for you insight. We have no clue that KG starts in Spring. Moreover as mentioned earlier, my daughter would turn 5 only in Sep' 2011. Probably we will have to wait until September for her to attend the school. We need to check on the schools in OakRidge since we come under that school zone. Thanks once again.

Old 02-19-2011, 05:17 AM

I don't think I was very clear! The schools will have an Open House in the Spring for all of the children eligible to start Kindergarten in the fall. As long as she turns 5 by September 30 she will be eligible to start Kinder in the fall of 2011. At the Open House, they will go over curriculum, behavior expectations and orient parents on what to expect in September. it is for the parents, not the kids. Hope this helps!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
View detailed profiles of: