Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-17-2011, 01:15 PM

5 posts, read 6,064 times

Advertisements

Hi,
I work in DC near Union Station. I have been living in Herndon for almost 5 years on rent and now planning to buy a new townhome within the range of 400K. I don't really have a big list of requirment for myself just the basic ones (nice community, schools, food stores & easy commute to work). I am open to live either in NOVA or MD area. Could you guys suggest me which community would be good for me??
Thank you in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2011, 02:23 PM

2,462 posts, read 8,923,464 times
"Just the basic ones" happen to be the things most folks seek in buying a home. (Not too many people want to live in a slum with bad schools and stores, and a difficult commute, after all.)

Are you looking for new construction, or just "new-to-you?" The latter will be much easier to find in your price range. Are you willing to drive to work? And how long is an "easy" commute?

Old 02-17-2011, 02:33 PM

5,125 posts, read 10,092,213 times
I don't know about brand-new townhouses, but there are $400K townhouses in Rockville/Derwood near the Shady Grove metro (so you could take the Red Line directly to Union Station). If you plan to drive, there are townhouses in that price range in Alexandria (both in the City of Alexandria and in some of the adjoining neighborhoods in Fairfax County) not too far from 395. In terms of commuting, I'd think either would be an improvement over Herndon.

Old 02-17-2011, 06:29 PM

5 posts, read 6,064 times
I know that nobody wants to live in a community which has bad schools, difficult commute. I call it basic requirements because everybody wants these. I am sorry if you understood it wrong.
I am looking for new construction home only and also easy access to Metro or MARC.
I am into IT consulting business and I would be considering the easy commute to DC as long as I live in this region. I know that I may not be working in DC in future but I can't overlook the idea of finding easy commute to there no mater where I live as you never know when could that happen.

Old 02-17-2011, 06:46 PM

5,125 posts, read 10,092,213 times
I did a quick search - the first thing I came across that met your specs were some new townhouses around $400,000 in Germantown and Gaithersburg, Maryland - which have MARC stations. It's about 45-55 minutes on the MARC to Union Station.

l could be wrong, but I'm not sure you'd find any new townhouses in Virginia currently near a Metro station for less than $400K. You could find some townhouses in Ashburn for that price, but the Metro won't come to Ashburn for quite a few years.

Have you posted on the Maryland forum? There may be people there who know more about the Gaithersburg and Germantown schools.

Good luck.

Old 02-17-2011, 08:00 PM

8,982 posts, read 21,171,724 times
I agree with JEB77: you'll have to compromise on some of your preferences, particularly on the VA side, to find something in your price range. Newer construction closer to the Metro can be found in a condo in your range but likely not a TH (barring a random foreclosure/short sale).

Old 02-19-2011, 11:09 AM

2,380 posts, read 4,516,614 times
I did a little searching and I saw TH's around Haymarket/Gainesville/Manassas that fit the OP's requirements -- just be careful of the school zone as Brentsville/Battlefield/Osbourn Park are better than Osbourn/Stonewall Jackson in terms of test scores and hence general reputation.

OP, just because a place is new doesn't mean it will be problem-free. For example, many builders use green lumber so there will be some setting or whatever it's called when the lumber dries out.

Old 02-19-2011, 11:23 AM

8,982 posts, read 21,171,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stpickrell View Post
I did a little searching and I saw TH's around Haymarket/Gainesville/Manassas that fit the OP's requirements -- just be careful of the school zone as Brentsville/Battlefield/Osbourn Park are better than Osbourn/Stonewall Jackson in terms of test scores and hence general reputation.

OP, just because a place is new doesn't mean it will be problem-free. For example, many builders use green lumber so there will be some setting or whatever it's called when the lumber dries out.
Assuming the housing budget is non-negotiable, this would definitely require the OP to decide what's more important to them: newer construction or an "easy commute".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia