Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2011, 03:25 PM

86 posts, read 428,501 times

Advertisements

I was just curious to see how many people are living on their own in the Nova area without any close family near by...

I recently relocated to NoVa area and I am just dready being all alone and not knowing anyone. I found the area to be nice and there seems like there is much to do around here, and my work does keep me occupied.

So I was wondering... maybe Im just homesick and missing my family. But I was just wondering to see how many brave souls are out there, living in Nova ... far, far, far away from their family.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2011, 03:30 PM

4,489 posts, read 10,947,289 times
I did, for a while. My family's in California, I moved out here alone. My closest relative (a great aunt) lives in Chicago-ish. Literally everyone else is in California.

I don't live alone anymore though (well, I never did--I had roommates). I got married a few years ago and now have an east coast family about 90 minutes away.

It can be a tough place to break into social circles. If you're open to the idea, I'd highly suggest finding a church with active small groups or social activities. I found mine to be very welcoming and a great way to meet people outside of work.

Old 02-22-2011, 03:39 PM

1,418 posts, read 3,456,525 times
I am not alone because I have my husband and kids but nearest friends and relatives when we moved here were 350 miles away. I have made lots of friends down here through my hobby and my kids...

Old 02-22-2011, 03:42 PM

1,261 posts, read 6,106,093 times
I lived in this area alone for 12 years before I met my husband. I went to school here and stayed closely in touch with people from school. I also socialized with single friends from work and people I met through church. Although I'm married with children now, we still don't have family in the area.

If you have a close-knit family, nothing can replace it. But if you are fortunate enough to be friends with people who share similar interests and values, they can become a "surrogate family." It's hard to meet people--you have to make an extra effort and get involved in activities where you might meet others who are similarly situated.

Old 02-22-2011, 03:43 PM

2,502 posts, read 3,406,007 times
No family that we are close to.

Old 02-22-2011, 03:50 PM

722 posts, read 1,923,690 times
I live with my husband and kids in Bristow, but our extended family doesn't always live close by.

Dh's Dad married someone from Fredericksburg about a year after we moved here (from California). They live in Fredericksburg about half the year, and California the other half.

So about 1/2 the time, we have them within about an hours drive...other than that, the closest family members are my grandparents/aunts/uncles/cousins in Massachusetts...

Old 02-22-2011, 04:00 PM

9,779 posts, read 15,793,171 times
My whole family is in Philadelphia; my husband's mom is in North Carolina. His sisters are in Boston and California, so we are by ourselves here, except for our children.

Old 02-22-2011, 04:42 PM

1,051 posts, read 2,474,595 times
Both of our families are in Philadelphia too. I like being way down here though, made some friends that I've become very close to

Old 02-22-2011, 04:51 PM

4 posts, read 6,606 times
I will be relocating to NoVa soon without knowing a single soul in the area. Most of my family and friends either in Conn, or NY...

I came down to Virginia for the first time a couple of weeks ago for a 2 week training session, and was placed in a nice hotel in Arlington, and though im still young and pretty sociable person. It is hard not knowing anyone.. But I do have to say people in Virginia are really nice (unlike NYC where you have to be very weary of the person who is being friendly cause u think they want something from ya.. hahah)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliTerp07 View Post
I did, for a while. My family's in California, I moved out here alone. My closest relative (a great aunt) lives in Chicago-ish. Literally everyone else is in California.

I don't live alone anymore though (well, I never did--I had roommates). I got married a few years ago and now have an east coast family about 90 minutes away.

It can be a tough place to break into social circles. If you're open to the idea, I'd highly suggest finding a church with active small groups or social activities. I found mine to be very welcoming and a great way to meet people outside of work.

I wish I could have coworkers to hang out with but my job description if I had to describe it, is like being a traveling salesman... so my only interaction from people from work are clients... Ya Im hoping to find a good small bible group for now though.

Old 02-22-2011, 05:01 PM

1,449 posts, read 3,171,824 times
Good luck. I'm sure you'll find some friends quickly. You're already being proactive about it. Putting yourself out there is key.

I was lucky to have a high school friend (not closest, but she was in my group) who went to GW that I got an apartment with when I moved. Her college friend was our other roommate - she is now MY boss and best friend.

What about your college's alumni association or maybe a sorority/fraternity alumni group? That is usually a good way to meet people. I attended a couple events through my sorority's local alumni group, and met some nice people that way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia