Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2011, 02:24 PM

8,868 posts, read 12,555,005 times

Advertisements

(IE not counting stafford or wherever)

The one in Springfield is not? Is the one in Baileys still there?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2011, 02:26 PM

18,717 posts, read 31,070,580 times
That's right. Even the two in Sterling were saved, which surprised me since they are close to each other. But, both do a lot of business which is what counts.

Old 02-17-2011, 02:31 PM

5,125 posts, read 10,085,417 times
Not a big surprise. Even putting aside Borders' problems, the current location is a pain. The prior location further down Route 7 towards Wolf Trap was much better.

Fortunately, there is still a huge Barnes & Noble in Tysons itself.

It's a bit surprising they are closing the downtown Borders at 18th & K. That one did a lot of business. On the other hand, the rent is probably high.

Last edited by JD984; 02-17-2011 at 02:50 PM..

Old 02-17-2011, 02:45 PM

2,688 posts, read 6,680,916 times
http://www.bordersreorganization.com/Reorganization_Closure_List.pdf (broken link)

Old 02-19-2011, 12:09 PM

2,688 posts, read 6,680,916 times
Just got an email from Borders that their store at 18th and L in DC has started their going-out-of-business sale, if anyone is interested.

Old 02-19-2011, 12:31 PM

3,315 posts, read 10,087,071 times
The one in Winchester is on the list to close and I wonder why. I always see lots of people in there, especially on the weekends. Alot of students from Shenandoah University are always working on schoolwork in the coffee bar. And on Fridays there are musicians who play. I recall a wonder group of older women playing Irish music, some with traditional instruments. Maybe there's too much writing and socializing and not enough sales?

We have a Books-A-Million but I like Borders so much better.

Old 02-19-2011, 12:50 PM

5,125 posts, read 10,085,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by South Jersey Styx View Post
The one in Winchester is on the list to close and I wonder why. I always see lots of people in there, especially on the weekends. Alot of students from Shenandoah University are always working on schoolwork in the coffee bar. And on Fridays there are musicians who play. I recall a wonder group of older women playing Irish music, some with traditional instruments. Maybe there's too much writing and socializing and not enough sales?

We have a Books-A-Million but I like Borders so much better.
It's hard to figure out why certain stores and not others are closed - perhaps some combination of poor sales, high rent and/or the same type of random decision-making that gets a company in trouble in the first place.

There used to be a Boston Market in Vienna that did great business, but it was closed down when they started cutting back. I think there's a pool supply business there now (or at least there was at one point). Meanwhile there are still other Boston Markets open in the area that don't do nearly as much business.

I miss Tower Records, too. I guess Amazon and Apple are eating everyone else's lunch. Do the new distribution models offer the same pleasure that randomly searching for a new novel or record/CD used to provide?

Old 02-19-2011, 01:00 PM

3,315 posts, read 10,087,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JEB77 View Post
There used to be a Boston Market in Vienna that did great business, but it was closed down when they started cutting back. I think there's a pool supply business there now (or at least there was at one point). Meanwhile there are still other Boston Markets open in the area that don't do nearly as much business.
Hard to believe that a pool supply business would fare better than Boston Market. But I think Boston Market has some major re-orging recently too. I think they have new side dishes and they changed their presentation.

Quote:
I miss Tower Records, too. I guess Amazon and Apple are eating everyone else's lunch. Do the new distribution models offer the same pleasure that randomly searching for a new novel or record/CD used to provide?
No, there is a lack of tactility and socialization now. The touching and talking to others when buying music is now replaced with the click of a button--more individualized, less community.

Old 02-19-2011, 08:23 PM

1,591 posts, read 3,551,196 times
Quote:

Well it is not surprising that Borders' business model is not succeeding. I always wondered why Borders and other competitors could make money when it seemed a vast majority would use the place like a library. I for one never bought a book that I felt had been overly thumbed through. I always thought they'd be better off if they kept one book out for browsing and the rest wrapped in cellophane.

I don't think the coffeehouse/bookstore concept is completely dead though. I think those who liked to go to the bookstores for social reasons will instead trek down to their local coffeehouses (such as the Daily Grind in Winchester) and read their purchased (or borrowed) books on their Kindles.

Old 02-20-2011, 06:20 AM

3,550 posts, read 6,487,576 times
the times they are a-changin'
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia