Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2011, 07:07 AM

5,121 posts, read 6,803,843 times

Advertisements

I expect my commute would be lighter since I see so many federal employees on the train (not sure why they don't put their badges away after work--just looking at them I can tell who they are, where they work, etc.)

Anyway, as nice as it would be for me personally to have a lighter commute, I hate to get that at the price of all those people out of work with no pay. I grew up in a blue collar family and remember layoffs and how hard they hit us--I wouldn't wish that on anyone. I hope there is no furlough and this mess is all fixed soon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2011, 07:41 AM

1,848 posts, read 3,727,639 times
As a contractor, I've been told I have to use my vacation time first, then my sick leave, then LWOP. They will only pay insurance premiums for 30 days or something like that. My husband is active duty so he isn't affected.

I'm moving houses this week and next, so I could use some time off, but I'm planning on heading to Hawaii for Spring Break. BUT who knows if that will happen now. I won't dare to complain about that, if there is any destruction today.

So in the big scheme of things compared to what is happening on the other side of the country and world, we are in pretty good shape.

Old 03-11-2011, 07:51 AM

486 posts, read 1,665,863 times
I will definitely be affected due to the work I do with the government, and in fact, my work has already been affected because of the fear to furlough. But I agree with the previous poster, it will probably be like in the Clinton era, shut down for a week and then be back up because things aren't getting done.

Old 03-11-2011, 09:42 AM

230 posts, read 1,215,880 times
Whatever they decide, I just hope Congress will also be affected by any furloughs, absence of COLAs, WIGIs, changing "high 3" to "high 5" retirement calculations, etc. GOV cuts should be GOV-wide.

Old 03-11-2011, 10:20 AM

2,186 posts, read 7,944,713 times
Yes, I think they will go through with the furloughs and that plenty of people will be impacted. Will I? Nope. My husband and I do not have government jobs, nor will we ever if we can help it. But, I do feel for those that are in departments that already are short staffed, someone always ends up losing in the deal...

Old 03-11-2011, 10:44 AM

186 posts, read 488,329 times
Congress suffer along with the rest of us....
My husband is the Fed, luckily I have a good job in the Health Care field so we should be ok with some belt tightening.

I feel for those famlies where both are Fed workers this will be a scary time for everyone

Old 03-11-2011, 04:10 PM

1,534 posts, read 3,725,397 times
Spouse works for Congress and will be "essential" so no commute change for our family.

Old 03-11-2011, 08:24 PM

74 posts, read 122,536 times
My husband works for Customs and Border Protection and is considered "essential". He is under the impression that he will have to continue working, he just won't be paid for the work during the furlough.

We have been saving, saving, and more saving. I work part time at a big box store, but my salary doesn't pay bills. We have about 3 months of rent AND mortgage (for our home in FL), plus all of our necessities, but we're not going to movies or out to dinner or anything like that until we know what is going to happen.

Keeping our fingers crossed that it doesn't happen!!

Old 03-12-2011, 06:28 AM

66 posts, read 130,997 times
Jeez folks I am not Suzie Orman , but everyone should have enough money in savings to live one month without a salary, really you should have six months.

Old 03-12-2011, 06:39 AM

186 posts, read 488,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by info781 View Post
Jeez folks I am not Suzie Orman , but everyone should have enough money in savings to live one month without a salary, really you should have six months.
Well thanks for pointing out the obvious..but its more than just the paycheck...there will be no contributions to the TSP, what about the portion of the health care costs, college savings,

Plus this is a very expensive area to live in and if both earners work for the Feds that is a big financial hit for a family
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia