Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2011, 07:39 AM

48 posts, read 114,008 times

Advertisements

Looking at some of the newer apartments over by the USPTO. They say it's kind of a dead area and walking everywhere isn't practical, but Metro is nearby and the area is pretty safe, I hear. That and it's not far from where I'll be working.

As for the night life - is this mostly just a few small pubs and and restaurants?

My budget is pretty flexible. Any thoughts/recommendations/warnings about the area or specific apartment buildings appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2011, 08:08 AM

2,612 posts, read 5,584,557 times
I know Old Town pretty well, but I'm not sure what USPTO is. Also, what's the question exactly? What kind of place were you hoping for?

Old 03-26-2011, 08:09 AM

14,129 posts, read 31,244,985 times
There were a couple of threads on this not long ago. You might want to do a search on "USPTO" as they used the same abbreviation in them.

Old 03-26-2011, 08:21 AM

8,983 posts, read 21,161,808 times
That's the US Patent & Trademark Office. That area is called the Carlyle neighborhood. It's a pretty new area of high-rise apartments, office buildings and a hotel. It's true that there's not much happening at night but the rest of Old Town is literally next door. You'll see lots of restaurants and retail on and near the nearby main drag King Street, especially east of Washington St. From the Carlyle area to the waterfront, it's perhaps a 10-minute car/bus ride or an invigorating half-hour walk.

Old 03-26-2011, 09:58 AM

384 posts, read 1,029,151 times
Default Some thoughts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Movinanshakin View Post
Looking at some of the newer apartments over by the USPTO. They say it's kind of a dead area and walking everywhere isn't practical, but Metro is nearby and the area is pretty safe, I hear. That and it's not far from where I'll be working.

As for the night life - is this mostly just a few small pubs and and restaurants?

My budget is pretty flexible. Any thoughts/recommendations/warnings about the area or specific apartment buildings appreciated.
Are you looking in the Eisenhower area or near Carlyle? The Carlyle area is an easy walk to Whole Foods and the restaurants near King Street metro. I don't think there are any clubs there. It is a very nice neighborhood. If you don't want to walk far you can always catch a cab at the King Street Taxi line.

Old 03-26-2011, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pandoras View Post
Are you looking in the Eisenhower area or near Carlyle? The Carlyle area is an easy walk to Whole Foods and the restaurants near King Street metro. I don't think there are any clubs there. It is a very nice neighborhood. If you don't want to walk far you can always catch a cab at the King Street Taxi line.
That's pretty much the area I'm asking about (Carlyle). Looking for something in that area and was curious if anybody on this board lived near there or knew more about it. I knew a lot of it was under development a few years ago and just curious how accurate Google street view was (seems to be accurate).

Old 03-26-2011, 12:06 PM

206 posts, read 432,463 times
I've lived (over 1 year) and worked (over 2 years) in Carlyle. I'm not into "nightlife" but I don't think there is much around here anyway. Just a few lounge/restaurant-type places. Of course, there are two metro stations that can take you to DC for that.

Most of the apt. complexes around are pretty nice. Just ignore the stuff on apartmentratings.com and such - people on there can be pretty hyperbolic is all I can say.

That said, the only reason I live here is because it's within walking distance to work. It's just too expensive otherwise.

Old 03-26-2011, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phrekyos View Post
I've lived (over 1 year) and worked (over 2 years) in Carlyle. I'm not into "nightlife" but I don't think there is much around here anyway. Just a few lounge/restaurant-type places. Of course, there are two metro stations that can take you to DC for that.
Nightlife in Old Town does consist of more than a few restaurants - many with a bar section - rather than dance clubs. Admittedly, a twentysomething person looking to cut loose may find Old Town a little laid-back. In that case, Clarendon and Ballston (in Arlington) are probably the best option for nightlife on this side of the Potomac.

Old 03-26-2011, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Movinanshakin View Post
That's pretty much the area I'm asking about (Carlyle). Looking for something in that area and was curious if anybody on this board lived near there or knew more about it. I knew a lot of it was under development a few years ago and just curious how accurate Google street view was (seems to be accurate).
The Carlyle area is very safe at night, it's just very quiet. Ratings websites aside, I would think that the apartment buildings in that area are in good shape since most are relatively new.

Old 03-26-2011, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phrekyos View Post
Most of the apt. complexes around are pretty nice. Just ignore the stuff on apartmentratings.com and such - people on there can be pretty hyperbolic is all I can say.

That said, the only reason I live here is because it's within walking distance to work. It's just too expensive otherwise.
It's not cheap, that's what I noticed too. But in defense of the expensive places, they don't seem to have a lot of complaints, hyperbolic or otherwise. An agent I talked to steered me towards a place a bit further away that was only a hundred bucks cheaper a month, but it turned out to be nothing at all like what he described - sounded and looked (via Google Street View) pretty crummy (Park at Arlington). For that little bit of savings not sure it's worth the grief.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia