Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2011, 12:33 PM

14 posts, read 42,980 times

Advertisements

I'm wondering if people can answer some questions I had about what I would need to get done for purchasing a used car from a private seller, being that I am moving to the NOVA area next week.

Right now I'm most concerned about license and tags if I buy from a private seller in MD. I saw the "Trip Permit" on the DMV website for VA (https://www.dmv.virginia.gov/dmvnet/...rmit/intro.asp), but it states that prospective buyers have to be VA Residents. Does this mean that I have to register to be a VA resident before I can start anything in regards to purchasing a car?

If so, would my process look something like this:
Obtain VA Driver's License
Obtain Trip Permit
Buy Vehicle
Contact insurance company with car information
Do emissions tests
Get VA License Plates
Good to go?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2011, 01:27 PM

4,437 posts, read 8,126,112 times
You'll also have to get it Safety Inspected since it's coming from MD.

Emissions isn't required before getting the plates. If it needs to be done, they'll give you a 30 day stickers when you get the license plate and once you get it emission inspected you are then able to register it for 1 or 2 years. They'll send you the new stickers in the mail.

Welcome to VA.

Old 04-13-2011, 02:58 PM

Will it be a problem if I don't get the safety inspection right after buying the car? e.g. if I buy the car from the private seller and get stopped on the way home by police, will I get ticketed? It seems like there is no recourse, as the VA DMV website says that all operated vehicles on VA must have safety inspection.

Old 04-13-2011, 05:14 PM

4,437 posts, read 8,126,112 times
It's probably a good idea to get it inspected ASAP. If you get pulled over, hopefully the cop will let you slide if you can show that you just recently purchased the car.

Old 04-13-2011, 05:17 PM

21 posts, read 54,335 times
I'm in a similar situation, except I won't have a permanent VA residence for a couple of months after moving there.

Good luck.

Old 04-13-2011, 05:46 PM

23,707 posts, read 30,736,872 times
Virginia DEQ - Air Check Virginia - Vehicle Emissions Inspection FAQs

Quote:
Will it be a problem if I don't get the safety inspection right after buying the car?
You have three days with the temporary tags to do it. Pull into any inspection station once you cross the border. They cant put you off if the bay is open.

Old 04-16-2011, 07:52 PM

Thanks for the info everyone, I'll be trying to get:

Obtain Trip Permit
Buy Vehicle

done all on Monday, but the actual signing off on title and handing over check might have to wait til Tuesday.

Old 04-16-2011, 08:25 PM

21 posts, read 54,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dopke View Post
Thanks for the info everyone, I'll be trying to get:

Obtain Trip Permit
Buy Vehicle

done all on Monday, but the actual signing off on title and handing over check might have to wait til Tuesday.

Let me know how it goes and which DMV you use, I'll be trying to do the same next week as well.

Old 04-17-2011, 04:54 PM

1,949 posts, read 4,420,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bob90212 View Post
I'm in a similar situation, except I won't have a permanent VA residence for a couple of months after moving there.

Good luck.
You don't need to be a resident to register a car here. Also "technically" your supposed to get the inspection done before you register it. But if your driving around without your sticker your asking for it. It's pretty hard to NOT notice the oversized 70's looking sticker smack in the middle of your window, with VA plates the cops will notice it not there.

Old 04-20-2011, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dopke View Post
If so, would my process look something like this:
Obtain Trip Permit
Buy Vehicle
Contact insurance company with car information
Do emissions tests
Get VA License Plates
Good to go?
Just to update, I ended up doing things in this order:

Obtain Trip Permit - Skipped this so no real comments on this

Contact insurance company with car information - Did this right before I went to pick-up the car

Buy/pick-up Vehicle - Borrowed tags from a friend to bring it back to VA

Obtain VA Driver's License - Only problem was I didn't have proof of residency (I thought I could use a printout of my online confirmation from USPS. No, you need the actual confirmation they send to your new address)

Get VA License Plates - Took about 30-45 minutes including wait and processing, they gave me temporary registration (30 days) since I didn't have emissions inspection receipt from MD.

Do emissions tests & safety - Did this right after going to the DMV. They said I should do it "soon," but did not say anything about me getting in trouble.

Good to go? - I need to register the emission test online (or something like that) and they should send me my tags for 2 years.

Thanks everyone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia