Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2011, 02:18 PM

4,036 posts, read 9,245,859 times

Advertisements

Yeah I'm going to second and third everyone. I'm in south Arlington and use 66 to get to work over by Fair Oaks mall. I can tell you that Glebe is no fun during afternoon rush hour. Morning rush hour can be a pill but afternoons are def worse. So yeah not too far from Beverly Hills and I would def recommend living closer if your job is in Reston. You're probably looking at about an hour commute.

I'd recommend north Arlington or Falls Church that's what I'm thinking about myself.

I really like Alexandria. I'd love nothing more than to rent a cute place in Del Ray but the idea of adding even 5 more minutes to my commute (I'm a 10 minute drive from Del Ray) is unspeakable at this time. So yeah feel your pain. Good luck with either decision.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2011, 02:31 PM

298 posts, read 680,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLAtoNOVA View Post
So would South Arlington be any better? How about North Arlington?
North Arlington to Reston in the morning, Reston to North Arlington in the evenings would not be bad. Figure on typically 25-30 minutes in the AM, 35-40 minutes in the PM. Worse on the occasional bad weather day, but pretty consistently a decent commute.

I'm assuming the route is Old Dominion to 123 to Toll Road and vice versa. Traffic on those roads moves at speed until -- and only in the evenings -- the Toll Road meets the Beltway. That exit backs up way into the Toll Road even though you won't be exiting there. Just be happy you'll go around it (to exit onto 123) and are not stuck going on the Beltway.

Old 05-10-2011, 05:26 PM

404 posts, read 1,094,991 times
Alexandria would only be reverse once you got on the toll road. The section of 495 you'd be on would be a nightmare until that point. Unfortunately, if you have to go towards tysons in the morning (from anywhere), it will not be a reverse commute. Arlington would be better, but it is still bad until you get past Tysons and onto the Toll road.

The best reverse commute I can think of in this area would be DC down 395 towards Springfield, or Tysons to anywhere BUT DC or Arlington.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia