Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2011, 07:47 AM

8,868 posts, read 12,562,134 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
You might enjoy the Heritage Trail. It includes a river trail next to GFNP. and lots more river scenery along the Potomac, as well as switchbacks up and down hills, rocks, a few streams to cross, and some surprises (one stretch goes along a narrow wooded valley next to Trump's golf course. Surreal, and oddly entertaining.) What I particularly like about the Heritage Trail is that it goes on forever and it's not crowded with lots of people, so you really feel like you're getting away from the city.

thats downstream from GFNP? we have done the walk upstream to and from River Bend SP - we have wanted to do the trail downstream to connect to Difficult Run Trail, which is the part of the CCT (along with the far south end of the Accotink trail) we have not yet done.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2011, 07:50 AM

18,717 posts, read 31,086,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklynborndad View Post
thats downstream from GFNP? we have done the walk upstream to and from River Bend SP - we have wanted to do the trail downstream to connect to Difficult Run Trail, which is the part of the CCT (along with the far south end of the Accotink trail) we have not yet done.
Downstream and upstream. You were probably walking on a section of it at GFNP. It runs all the way from Difficult Run to Leesburg (although you probably won't want to hike the entire trail). The stretch in the middle, through Ashburn/Lansdowne, is not interesting. I usually just hike the eastern section from GFNP to a little bit west of Algonkian Park. That takes me 4-5 hours and that's more than enough for me. Don't try it right now, though, as the river is too high and made parts of the trail extremely challenging. Some sections had flooding this spring.

Old 05-10-2011, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Downstream and upstream. You were probably walking on a section of it at GFNP. It runs all the way from Difficult Run to Leesburg (although you probably won't want to hike the entire trail). The stretch in the middle, through Ashburn/Lansdowne, is not interesting. I usually just hike the eastern section from GFNP to a little bit west of Algonkian Park. That takes me 4-5 hours and that's more than enough for me. Don't try it right now, though, as the river is too high and made parts of the trail extremely challenging. Some sections had flooding this spring.
Potomac Heritage National Scenic Trail - Northern Virginia (U.S. National Park Service)

ah, the Potomac Heritage Trail - yes, looks like that is a designation for a linking up of various existing trails (similar to the CCT in some ways, but NPS designated and longer?) It apparently includes the River Trail, the connection from GFNP to Difficult Run, the trail from GFNP to River Bend, etc, as well as yet uncompleted (?) connections in both directions, including per the NPS map all the way to the MVT.

Old 05-10-2011, 08:04 AM

Quote:
That takes me 4-5 hours and that's more than enough for me. Don't try it right now, though, as the river is too high and made parts of the trail extremely challenging. Some sections had flooding this spring.
we've been on the parrt between GF visitor center and Riverbend SP at high water in the past, you're not kidding.

Old 05-10-2011, 08:30 AM

18,717 posts, read 31,086,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklynborndad View Post
we've been on the parrt between GF visitor center and Riverbend SP at high water in the past, you're not kidding.
Yes, and when we were down at Riverbend last weekend the section that goes north from Riverbend to the Harry Potter bridge is underwater. I kid you not!

Old 05-10-2011, 09:14 AM

1,624 posts, read 4,869,438 times
There is a really good book titled 60 Hikes Within 60 Miles: DC by Paul Elliot. Most local bookstores have it. Paul is the former president of the local Sierra Club and used to run the 100K One Day Hike from Georgetown to Harper's Ferry.

It's a great resource.

Old 05-10-2011, 12:19 PM

298 posts, read 680,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slim04 View Post
There is a really good book titled 60 Hikes Within 60 Miles: DC by Paul Elliot. Most local bookstores have it. Paul is the former president of the local Sierra Club and used to run the 100K One Day Hike from Georgetown to Harper's Ferry.

It's a great resource.
I own this book and second the recommendation. Another book I'd recommend is from the Appalachian Mountain Club -- "Best Day Hikes Near Washington DC," with 50 trails in the area. I used to hike a lot, not so much anymore, but both books are very good for this area. Here is the Amazon link: Amazon.com: AMC's Best Day Hikes near Washington, D.C.: Four-season Guide to 50 of the Best Trails in Maryland, Virginia, and the Nation's Capital (9781934028391): Stephen Mauro, Beth Homicz: Books

Old 05-17-2011, 10:35 PM

3,718 posts, read 5,696,809 times
Cross County Trail

Check that out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia