Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2011, 08:49 AM

628 posts, read 1,935,275 times

Advertisements

- The amount of oil currently used to produce water bottles each year for U.S, consumption could fuel over one million cars for an entire year!

- As a Fairfax Water customer, you can fill a 20-oz. water bottle every single day for 10 years for the same cost as buying one 20-oz. bottled water for $1.25!

(No stats given on the amount of plastic thrown in trash for deposit in landfills.)

So, the ecological and economic reasons are overwhelming in favor of filling your water bottles from the tap (perhaps via a Brita filter). For example, based on the above, it would cost you over $4500 to drink a store-bought bottle of water every day for 10 years compared to $1.25 from the faucet! (Ignores price increases.) There's your extra gas money, folks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2011, 08:55 AM

18,717 posts, read 31,115,788 times
Even more economical, refill your bottles from the water cooler at work. And try to avoid drinking from a plastic bottle (even a recycled one) if possible--refill glass rather than plastic.

Old 06-12-2011, 09:02 AM

19,198 posts, read 31,502,767 times
The improbable success of the bottled water industry is very hard to explain and it's getting harder.

Old 06-12-2011, 09:05 AM

18,717 posts, read 31,115,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
Even more economical, refill your bottles from the water cooler at work.
Which leads to an interesting question. Do most people still have water coolers at work?

Old 06-12-2011, 09:14 AM

19,198 posts, read 31,502,767 times
Quote:
Which leads to an interesting question. Do most people still have water coolers at work?
Yes here, and water heaters too.

Old 06-12-2011, 09:20 AM

384 posts, read 1,030,337 times
Quote:
Yes, I have a water cooler at work.

The water quality in DC can vary alot due to the pipe infrastructure.

Old 06-12-2011, 01:02 PM

2,688 posts, read 6,689,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by statecollege View Post
- The amount of oil currently used to produce water bottles each year for U.S, consumption could fuel over one million cars for an entire year!

- As a Fairfax Water customer, you can fill a 20-oz. water bottle every single day for 10 years for the same cost as buying one 20-oz. bottled water for $1.25!

(No stats given on the amount of plastic thrown in trash for deposit in landfills.)

So, the ecological and economic reasons are overwhelming in favor of filling your water bottles from the tap (perhaps via a Brita filter). For example, based on the above, it would cost you over $4500 to drink a store-bought bottle of water every day for 10 years compared to $1.25 from the faucet! (Ignores price increases.) There's your extra gas money, folks.
Well I'm glad to know at least one person bothers to read that newsletter! But I'm glad they're making that point, water bottles are such a waste. It used to be that in a fast food place you could ask for ice water and they might charge you ten cents, but now they sell water bottles for a large profit and people don't even think to ask for it in a cup, even though often they'll oblige if you do.

Old 06-13-2011, 04:50 AM

1,558 posts, read 3,861,738 times
I drink the water here at work in my building...but sometimes its got so many floaties in it it's kind of gross. I brought in a brita filter to take 'em out and then the top of my brita gets all gross.... I can understand why people drink bottled water.

Now - at home, my water doesn't have all the floaties in it....but it doesn't taste very good on some days...but, I'm pretty ok with that. My husband on the other hand just hates it and I can't seem to get him off the bottled waters. I see the new Brita system I think that fills bottled waters....maybe that will help. We have a PUR filter on our faucet but it takes so darn long to fill something that it is rather annoying.

I started the thread asking where I could get cases of seltzer water and some good poster turned me onto the sodastream. I checked it out, went out and bought it yesterday and I'm very pleased. I can reuse the same bottles over and over. I don't know that it is cost effective or anything but it saves me on out of the way trips to Wegmans and saves on plastic bottle usage (and I drank a lot of them).

Old 06-13-2011, 06:43 AM

5,121 posts, read 6,811,926 times
I am all for drinking tap water and using your own refillable bottle (I've been doing it for years). I also think bottled water is a waste of money (expensive), but I always thought plastic was made from petroleum byproducts, not from oil that could be used for other purposes. In other words, when oil and gas are created, there is "stuff" left over and that's what they make plastics from.

Old 06-13-2011, 07:45 AM

3,550 posts, read 6,496,653 times
I bring bottled water from home and don't drink the water here at work. Sometimes when I forget to bring water, I buy bottled water from the machine, but it's two bucks, so I don't do that too often.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia