Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2011, 05:49 PM

12 posts, read 19,989 times

Advertisements

Husband will be working in Rosslyn for a few months then moving into DC (smithsonian area). We have 4 kids and are looking for an area with good schools with home prices under $400k for a good sized home with some elbow room (prefer .50 acre). We were first looking in Harpers Ferry and Charles town, WV, but I think that is just too far. I have seen some posts on the western Loudoun area. Does anybody have any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2011, 05:53 PM

2,765 posts, read 8,331,422 times
traffic is going to suck so bad moving to those places, you might want to lower your standards. Go with Ashburn instead. Problem with Roslyn is that you cannot drive on Rt66 East bound in the morning because it's all HOV.

Old 09-30-2011, 06:01 PM

2,635 posts, read 3,512,720 times
Whatever money you think you'll save living further out, you'll spend on gas, car maintenance, insurance, and probably child care. Not to mention your husband will spend up to 4 hours per day sitting in his car.

The rules are different in this area; most people spend 40 - 50% of their salary on housing. As far as space requirements go, I've seen families with 4 kids living in 1200 sqft 3br apartments. Why do you need 1/2 an acre? Do you own a horse? There are plenty of parks for your kids to play in.

Old 09-30-2011, 06:50 PM

2,090 posts, read 4,248,970 times
I work in DC and live in Reston and just can't imagine living any farther out than Reston. The commute is just about at the limits of my tolerability. Depending on the time of day I travel (30 minutes makes a big difference). I spend 60 to 75 minutes each way to get from the South Lakes area of Reston to Federal Triangle (next stop Smithsonian).

Old 09-30-2011, 06:51 PM

8,982 posts, read 21,176,024 times
As others have said, you will have to determine which of your preferences are most important as you may not be able to meet them them all. I agree that Ashburn and maybe Sterling in eastern Loudoun may be where you will find a relatively new detached home, albeit with less acreage than you might prefer. The commute still will not be fun; in fact, it may even be preferable to take a Loudoun County commuter bus to relax instead of stress out on the road.

Old 10-01-2011, 08:06 AM

2,076 posts, read 3,433,084 times
I believe there is train service from Harper's Ferry into DC, BUT how much time does hubby want to spend on commuting, no matter what means, vs time with family? Plus, what happens on days the train isn't running? Lot's of choices and personal family priorities need to be considered.

P.s. I "love" auto correct. Thanks goodness I proofed this as it had first said how much time does hubby want to spend on vomiting.....

Old 10-01-2011, 08:40 AM

4,489 posts, read 10,948,922 times
This are is great about rec facilities and parks and such, so the big house/yard isn't as necessary as it is in many areas.

On a $400k budget, there are parts of FFX county you could find, but houses will be around 1500sf (1970's ish) and .25ish acres.

Old 10-01-2011, 11:18 AM

12 posts, read 19,989 times
Thanks to all for the info. Lowering standards as far as a home is not negotiable. We currently are living in a 3600 sq. ft home and the smallest we can go is 2500 sq. ft. or my kids (three teenagers and one 9 yr old) will kill each other. We are negotiable on the half acre, but we will not go into a home where we can pass a cup of sugar through our window to our neighbors kitchen. Schools are the most important aspect of our search area. Hubby will be commuting 4 days a week and in a few months possibly down to 3 days a week, and telecommuting the other day or 2, so that will play a big part in our decision. I know there is a commuter train from Harpers Ferry which we will take a look at, but if we can be a bit closer to DC (we are coming from Long Island, NY and are used to going into the city within an hour), that would be be preferable. I know, you all are going to say I am dreaming, but I am also very stubborn and I believe we can find something with a little creativity. I look forward to all your comments....I know I should be careful what I wish for, but I do have a sense of humor, with 4 kids withing 5 years of each other, you have too!

Old 10-01-2011, 11:36 AM

3,315 posts, read 10,094,389 times
You should try Leesburg and any parts nearby. There is a Park & Ride for the Loundoun Commuter Bus in Leesburg. It will express into Rossyln-DC. The first stop is Rosslyn. You can get there within 45 minutes (of course that is contingent if the traffic totally doesn't suck from rain, problematic weather system, terrorist threat at the Pentagon, or some otherwise annoying factor).

Good luck! Don't be discourged; it can be done!

Old 10-01-2011, 11:59 AM

12,906 posts, read 15,666,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chascon33 View Post
Thanks to all for the info. Lowering standards as far as a home is not negotiable. We currently are living in a 3600 sq. ft home and the smallest we can go is 2500 sq. ft. or my kids (three teenagers and one 9 yr old) will kill each other. We are negotiable on the half acre, but we will not go into a home where we can pass a cup of sugar through our window to our neighbors kitchen. Schools are the most important aspect of our search area. Hubby will be commuting 4 days a week and in a few months possibly down to 3 days a week, and telecommuting the other day or 2, so that will play a big part in our decision. I know there is a commuter train from Harpers Ferry which we will take a look at, but if we can be a bit closer to DC (we are coming from Long Island, NY and are used to going into the city within an hour), that would be be preferable. I know, you all are going to say I am dreaming, but I am also very stubborn and I believe we can find something with a little creativity. I look forward to all your comments....I know I should be careful what I wish for, but I do have a sense of humor, with 4 kids withing 5 years of each other, you have too!
I live in Woodbridge, VA (Prince William County). The schools are decent here. Not as wonderful as Fairfax but still a stand-up education. My home sits on a 1/2 acre wooded lot, one just sold (with a pool) for about $450K, and it is about 2700 sq ft. It is 16 years old.

The commute to DC is difficult if you want to be a single driver and have relatively "human" work hours (8-4:30). If you want to carpool, vanpool, slug, train, or bus in, it's a very decent commute because it gets you out of the regular traffic and into HOV or on a rail system. Commuting options abound. I am in a 2 person carpool which doesn't earn me HOV rights, but we do work 6:00-2:30 and pretty much never hit traffic. From door to desk is 40 minutes (and that counts parking in my garage and walking across the street to my building and up 5 floors).

Eastern PWC is doable for your requirements. It is a very diverse area (racially and economically), which some people like and some people don't.

I think you'll have no problems finding something to fit your requirements here.

Last edited by ChristineVA; 10-01-2011 at 12:32 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia