Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-19-2007, 03:10 PM

10 posts, read 53,069 times

Advertisements

Okay so here's the the thing...

We're looking at places to rent 1br/1ba for 6-12 months in Arlington or Alexandria. For our price range ($1250/mo), we've been able to find things in both places and the commute to DC isn't bad at all and of course near the metro. Here's the problem: my husband hates the city. I don't really want to live in the city either, but it's not a huge deal to me. But he HATES **HAAAATES** it. So I'm trying to find areas in both places that are somewhat hidden away from all the hustle and bustle but not super far from the metro. Is this even possible given the budget? And if so, where? I'm looking at Belle View - is that safe? Is that still close? Are there other places? A more quiet part of the city (oxymoron, I know) or perhaps just outside of city limits?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2007, 11:18 AM

261 posts, read 1,667,223 times
Try maybe near East Falls church Metro? It's pretty residential there but I don't know if there are any apartments nearby.

Where do you live now? what's your definition of city? Like I live in Ballston and it's 'urban' there for NoVA, but if you go to VA Square (just one stop over), it's much less developed, but may still be 'city' to some people. $1250 probably won't go far in VA Square though.

How close do you want to be to a Metro station? Walking distance? 10 mins by car?

Vienna is very residential outside of the immediate area surrounding the Metro station, but is also very expensive. The other Arlington stops (even Ballston) can be residential too if you're willing to live outside of walking distance.

I can't say much for the Alexandria stops since I only use them once in a while.

Old 08-20-2007, 12:26 PM

2,462 posts, read 8,923,464 times
There are several apartments complexes on Sycamore/Roosevelt Street (I can't remember where the street changes names), within easy walking distance of the EFC Metro. One of them is Oakwood, which specializes in short-term and corporate rentals (some fully furnished). They are actually in the City of Falls Church, if I'm not mistaken. Definitely suburban. There are also some townhouses on Sycamore on the other side of the Metro, but rentals there might be hard to come by.

Old 08-20-2007, 03:22 PM

19,198 posts, read 31,479,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pentagoner View Post
I'm looking at Belle View - is that safe? Is that still close? Are there other places? A more quiet part of the city (oxymoron, I know) or perhaps just outside of city limits?
Assuming you mean the Belle View/Belle Haven area between Route-1 and the GW Parkway south of the Beltway, yes, that's a good fit for a non-urban area that is still close to the city. Mostly residential, lots of trees, lots of green. As safe as anyplace. Pool, parks, golf course, skating rink. It's a nice area. Don't get too close to the river, though, as flooding is an issue down there. Meanwhile, DC is barely ten miles away. You can catch the Metro across Route-1 at Huntington, or just slog up the GW Parkway along with a lot of other people. National Airport is not too far away, so there is some airplane noise in there, but it's otherwise a quiet area...

Old 08-22-2007, 07:57 PM

10 posts, read 53,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saganista View Post
Assuming you mean the Belle View/Belle Haven area between Route-1 and the GW Parkway south of the Beltway, yes, that's a good fit for a non-urban area that is still close to the city.
That's precisely where I meant - I think I found a place there, and the area looks really beautiful and it seemed fairly quiet. Driving around that area it really seemed to good to be true - but I "stalked" it a bit - showed up at different hours of the day and sat around - and it seems just fine.

I don't actually live in NoVA yet - I'm relocating from NC. I'm originally from NY and lived in NoVA more than a decade ago as a kid so there's a fair amount of re-familiarizing myself that I have to do!

Old 08-22-2007, 08:56 PM

I had long-time friends (moved out of the area now) who lived in the woods on the hill a couple of blocks above the ice rink. Spent a good deal of time in there over the years, and your assessment sounds about right to me. It's a bit of an oasis when you consider that Route-1 is as close by as it is. Look into the Hollin Hills Pool if you have the chance. Nice facility and a great way to ward off the worst of the summer heat...there's also the Tennis Club next door if that's your game. Who knows...you might end up staying more than just the 6-12 months. The area has quite a bit to offer...

Old 08-23-2007, 06:58 AM

5 posts, read 28,586 times
Belle View, very nice area, upscale in some parts, posh golf course that's private, I lived in one of the Belle Haven Cape Cods years ago. The key to that area is the GWP on the east. Stay away from Rt. 1, though it is close by.

Old 08-23-2007, 02:07 PM

Well, you can't get to Lowe's on the GWP :-)

Old 08-23-2007, 03:02 PM

26,700 posts, read 41,748,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caffiend View Post
Belle View, very nice area, upscale in some parts, posh golf course that's private, I lived in one of the Belle Haven Cape Cods years ago. The key to that area is the GWP on the east. Stay away from Rt. 1, though it is close by.
i'd second belleview or the hollin hill area. the closest youll get to tucked away in alexandria or arlington. yep stay away from rt 1.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia