Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2011, 06:44 AM

18,717 posts, read 31,089,604 times

Advertisements

For 39 years, Loudoun County has had one of the most generous real property tax relief programs for the elderly and disabled in Virginia. It allows for a full exemption from real estate taxes on a home and up to 3 acres with a $72,000 income limit, regardless of household size.

This program has substantially grown during the last decade, according to the Commissioner of the Revenue. In 2001, 689 properties were exempt, providing a total of $756,508 in tax relief. By 2010 1,992 properties were exempt, totaling $6.7 million in relief.

So what do you think about this? The Board of Supervisors is currently debating amendments to the program, and presented these opposing viewpoints:

Supervisor Eugene Delgaudio (R-Sterling) is concerned that the current tax policy makes Loudoun County a target for people shopping for the best deal.

“The premise is to take care of our own people. But what has happened over the years is that there’s a number of people coming into the system from outside the county that have never paid into the county tax system,” Delgaudio said.

However, others like Supervisor Sally Kurtz (D-Catoctin) said shopping for the most affordable place to live is a common practice and one that shouldn’t be looked upon unfavorably.

Sounds like a good topic for a debate to me. What do you guys think?

Board continues elderly tax relief criteria discussions | LoudounTimes.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2011, 06:53 AM

2,765 posts, read 8,330,006 times
if you own a property in Loudoun more than 0.1 of an acre, you should be paying property taxes just like everyone else. Not that I am FOR taxes, but it just seems fair.

Old 09-22-2011, 07:03 AM

5,759 posts, read 10,726,479 times
I don't believe in property taxes. I think all taxes should be based on income. Think about, say, a guy who works as a schoolteacher. He inherits his parents' farm. The taxes are $15 grand a year. So he has to sell it--most likely to a developer. I don't think that's right.

I don't know what trends are happening in Loudoun, but if this policy is allowing older people who are longtime residents to stay in their homes on fixed incomes (rather than pay ever-increasing property taxes that have recently skyrocketed), then I think that's a good thing.

If the county government needs more money to pay for the new infrastructure needed because of new residents, then the new residents should pay for that, not the people who have been there for 30 years. And my understanding is that the new residents are doing quite well financially.

Old 09-22-2011, 07:26 AM

2,635 posts, read 3,511,915 times
Reading the Loudoun county threads, it appears that their school system is straining. This could be read as an attempt to attract more senior citizens to push young families out of the county. Furthermore what services does Loudoun county offer for their senior populations? Do revenues from sales taxes on senior spending cover the shortfall?
Overall, does it make sense to exempt a group with a lot of disposable income? Why not tax breaks for everyone else?

Old 09-22-2011, 07:34 AM

102 posts, read 601,832 times
Got to agree with VRE332. Everyone should pay their share.

Also got to agree with Carlingtonian to a certain degree. I don't know what's happening in Loudoun, but in Fairfax County, property tax is a cash cow. My taxes have increased every year since I got here, and my pay hasn't increased at the same rate. Another story for another day I suppose.

Why not tax consumption? A young family of 4 will consume a lot more services than a retired elderly couple. That way, people pay for what they use, and no one has to subsidize anyone else.

Old 09-22-2011, 08:12 AM

8,868 posts, read 12,564,078 times
I thought the reason for property tax breaks for the elderly was to keep lower income elderly owners from being forced out by rising assesments caused by rising property values - I believe thats called a circuit breaker. The law in Loudoun appears different from that. Without knowing what the goal of the program is, and not being a citizen of Loudoun County, I do not feel in a position to criticize it.

Old 09-22-2011, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoke_Jaguar4 View Post
Reading the Loudoun county threads, it appears that their school system is straining. This could be read as an attempt to attract more senior citizens to push young families out of the county.
Maybe not to push young people out so much, as to charge a lower tax to those who use less of the most expensive and capacity constrained county service? Kind of like a user fee? I don't know, I could see the rationale for that.

Old 09-22-2011, 08:36 AM

15,402 posts, read 28,951,973 times
Ha ha ha ha ha ha does Delgaudio really think people move to Nova because it's a cheap place to retire? Really? Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha.

I am very happily retired here, but there is no way that Nova is drawing grinchy geezers looking for a bargain.

Old 09-22-2011, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by normie View Post
Ha ha ha ha ha ha does Delgaudio really think people move to Nova because it's a cheap place to retire? Really? Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha.

I am very happily retired here, but there is no way that Nova is drawing grinchy geezers looking for a bargain.

I read him as saying seniors are picking Loudoun over, say, Fairfax or MoCo, not that they are picking NoVa over Arizona or North Carolina.

Old 09-22-2011, 08:40 AM

15,402 posts, read 28,951,973 times
The easiest solution would be to put a time qualifier on this benefit. They could say that someone needs to live here at least ten years to qualify for the program. That would keep any bargain hunters away.

By the way, what's wrong with shopping for the best deal? How is that any different from people who choose where to live by shopping for the best school district? Retirees have to be budget conscious, that's just part of reality.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia