Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2011, 07:28 PM

2,136 posts, read 5,312,092 times

Advertisements

Good Shepherd Alliance has a program that you may be interested in:

Quote:
The Good Shepherd Alliance currently operates a 20-bed emergency shelter for Women and Children we call Hebron, which is named after a place in the Bible meaning “place of refuge.” Residents enter into our Six Steps to Self-Sufficiency program upon entering the shelter. This program is an intensive case management program geared to helping families in crisis get back to self-sufficiency. Guests may stay up to 89-days in the emergency shelters. Most are able to progress through the program in this time frame.
The "Six Steps to Self-Sufficiency" program includes job training/placement and housing assistance. GSA's number is 703-724-1555.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2011, 09:43 PM

100 posts, read 220,110 times
You might try getting in touch with the Carpenter's Shelter in Alexandria. Even if they don't have room in the residential shelter, they may be able to help you through their David's Place Day Shelter program (http://www.carpentersshelter.org/what-we-do/programs/davids-place-day-shelte/ - broken link). Among other services, they provide people with a mailing address and job-search assistance.

Good luck... I hope this is a very brief phase of your life.

Old 10-31-2011, 09:55 PM

2,688 posts, read 6,684,708 times
I'm very sorry that this has happened to you.

I was at Toys R Us yesterday and they are hiring extra staff for the Christmas season. Some other retailers will be too. That could help tide you over for a while and you would still have time to use the internet at the libraries to continue to apply for more stable employment.

Good luck and please continue to keep us updated as you have time.

Old 10-31-2011, 11:59 PM

206 posts, read 432,549 times
Why do you have to stay in NoVA? It is, as you said, ridiculously expensive. Not a good place to get back on your feet. I don't think I could even find an affordable motel room to live in.

If you have no family, no job, and a car... what's keeping you here?

Old 11-01-2011, 04:19 AM

5,759 posts, read 10,726,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phrekyos View Post
Why do you have to stay in NoVA? It is, as you said, ridiculously expensive. Not a good place to get back on your feet. I don't think I could even find an affordable motel room to live in.

If you have no family, no job, and a car... what's keeping you here?
I think this is probably a better area for her than others; there are more low-wage jobs here, because there are fewer jobless people competing for them. (The OP has a bachelor's, but I think an entry-level job to get employed quickly is a good first step.)

Old 11-01-2011, 04:44 AM

1,253 posts, read 1,380,975 times
Wow -- so sorry to hear about your frightening situation.

I did see a sign that they are hiring at The Boston Market in Northpoint Village in Reston. I understand your problem tho - it is not just a job it is housing and that is the rub.

Have you contacted Catholic Charities? They are very generous and work hard to help people stay on their feet. They might know of a boarding house where you could rent a room while you get a job and some money together. They also have counselors and job assistant services.

This mismanaged economy has taken a real toll on people -- it just breaks my heart.

Old 11-01-2011, 06:24 AM

2,765 posts, read 8,330,006 times
Welcome to Job Corps

Old 11-01-2011, 06:36 AM

1,148 posts, read 3,739,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineVA View Post
I'm thinking at late-30s, the military isn't going to take her, but the nanny gig or elder care sounds good. My guess is that it won't be easy to start with that. Especially the nanny business. Once they start realizing that she has no fixed address or home, it's probably not going to go well.
My bad, I read she was in her early thirties. Oops!

There are always single parents that need to work and need childcare, often in exchange for a room. But there have been some great suggestions in this thread, I wish you all the best, OP!

Old 11-01-2011, 08:03 AM

648 posts, read 1,334,070 times
Are you guys sure the poster is female? Their first post (5th sentence form the bottom) implies differently - point being, nanny jobs might be a little more difficult if they are male.

Old 11-01-2011, 08:23 AM

1,759 posts, read 2,029,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoPaychecks View Post
And I'm female. (For those who absolutely need details.)
I think by "women and children" at shelters she was referring to women and their children.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia