Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2011, 12:38 PM

143 posts, read 336,091 times

Advertisements

So far today I have gotten six automated phone calls from the "DHS Emergency Notification System." Each message prompts me to enter my "user ID number" to retrieve the message. Since I don't work for Homeland Security, I don't have a user ID number, so I just entered "0". My mistake, but I was tired of the phone calls.

A live, suspicious-sounding man answered and demanded to know how I got this private Homeland Security number.
"Have you ever worked for Homeland Security?"
"Do you have any family members who work for Homeland Security?"
"Have you or a family member ever worked for the Federal Government?"
"Do you have a security clearance?"
Blah, blah, blah. Very cloak-and-dagger.

Anyway, he decided to write an "incident report" about it and I haven't gotten any more phone calls. But I AM wondering what all those calls were about.

So, fellow forum members--heads up! If anything is going down with national security, remember you heard it here first!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2011, 12:44 PM

2,380 posts, read 4,516,614 times
All you need to do is keep a good poker face, and you will do fine with DHS.

(reference: Did the national Emergency Alert System mistakenly play Lady Gaga? - CSMonitor.com)

Old 11-12-2011, 04:08 AM

2,635 posts, read 3,511,915 times
You may want to contact the DHS Office of the Inspector General:
OIG/DHS HomePage
Do you have the phone number they called you from and time/dates?

Old 11-12-2011, 05:08 AM

18,717 posts, read 31,089,604 times
There have been a rash of all sorts of dubious phone calls lately. Beware, and don't give out personal info over the phone. I would report it to the DHS. I'm not sure it helps, but it can't hurt.

Old 11-12-2011, 08:13 AM

668 posts, read 2,187,338 times
They know where you are, and, they are coming for ya!! (Dont try to leave quick, cause they may have the car wired!!)...

ROTFLOL

OK, you get scammers all the time, and, someone was having a great time at your expense...scaring the pants off of you. Shame, but, the nut-jobs are everywhere these days!

I wish you well...

Jesse

Old 11-12-2011, 09:46 AM

491 posts, read 1,170,887 times
I wonder whether DHS was sending a msg (to its crew) related to the gunshots fired near the White House last night... by somebody with an assault rifle.

Old 11-12-2011, 10:03 AM

8,826 posts, read 15,322,548 times
You were patched into a "private" Homeland Security number simply by hitting "0". Great. I feel so secure.

Old 11-12-2011, 06:49 PM

143 posts, read 336,091 times
I talked to a friend who works at OIG and she said the automatic messaging systems frequently call wrong numbers, and that probably a DHS employee had my (brand new) phone number in the past.
Oh, well.
I thought I was "in the loop" in terms of people to notify in an emergency.
Guess not!

Old 11-12-2011, 08:16 PM

288 posts, read 734,219 times
How strange! That makes me feel real secure knowing that an agency like that puts such important things on an automated message to start with, and then that it often calls the wrong number. It would have been more effective if the message would have kept saying numbers in groups of 5 (even better if in Spanish) (aka spy numbers) - the intended recipient would have known the message instantly but no one else would have any idea. I would have asked the guy why that number called me instead of who it was supposed to. Or told him I forgot my userid could he help. Sort of reminds me of the emergency broadcasting test snafu a few days ago.

Old 11-12-2011, 08:40 PM

8,826 posts, read 15,322,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alyzza View Post
Sort of reminds me of the emergency broadcasting test snafu a few days ago.
What happened? Google, here I come.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia