Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-26-2011, 05:32 AM

18,717 posts, read 31,089,604 times

Advertisements

We're looking for a bird feeder and would like advice, as well as suggestions on good places to buy one. We want something well made and strong enough to last for several years--the sort of quality that you would see in local park. Something fairly large, since we get a lot of small and medium sized birds. Something that will not be easily destroyed by squirrels or heavy snow storms.

Any thought on what works well in northern VA? Some of the feeders have spinning perches that send squirrels flying--has anyone tried those and how well does it work with our wiley Nova squirrels?

My guess is we'll spend somewhere around $70-80 for the feeder, and probably as much for the pole.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2011, 05:34 AM

Also, we're open to buying it anywhere, but if we could also support a local business that would be even better.

Old 11-26-2011, 07:16 AM

668 posts, read 2,187,338 times
I bought mine at a hardware store for 20 bucks... I have to fill it every day!! (Birds can take it down in one sitting, because there are about 40 starlings I counted, besides the morning doves, and other assorted birds.

I put mine in a plastic Bird feeder. Seeds fall out into the feeder so that the birds can get to them easily.

Squirrels will be aproblem no matter what you do, but, when you set the bird feeder on a pole, get an 'inverted cone' and place a few going up the pole, so they cant get to the feed. And, dont put the pole under or near a tree, as they can jump to get to the feeder.

I wish you well...

Jesse

Old 11-26-2011, 07:19 AM

462 posts, read 1,210,750 times
There is a bird store in Reston in the plaza with Home Depot. Nice selection of feeders and supplies.

We have a baffle on our pole, which helps with squirrels from the ground. Now squirrels from the roof line and tree branches are another battle we have yet to completely conquer. Yes, I know. But we have limited areas in which to put a feeder so I would rather have one with the occassional squirrel than none.

And, by the way, the albino squirrel is alive and well in Countryside. Saw it last week.

Old 11-26-2011, 08:58 AM

491 posts, read 1,170,887 times
There's a really helpful bird/animal stuff store in Arlington at the Lee/Harrison shopping center where Harris Teeter, Dogma, Elevation Burger (i think that's the one) and other shops are. It's across from the Safeway. You might try there if it's not out of your way. They always have interesting bird feeders in the display window. (There's also another pet store in that strip mall, but I'm talking about the one that's closest to the Harris Teeter.)

Old 11-26-2011, 02:34 PM

I went to that store in Reston. What a cool store. Thanks for telling me about it.

So now I'm trying to decide between three intriguing "squirrel resistant" models (because squirrel proof is a ridiculous idea, nothing is truly squirrel proof ). Has anyone tried the Flipper, which spins squirrels (see video):

SloMo Squirrel Flung! Awesome! - YouTube

If you've tried it, what did you think? Also, do you think the squirrels enjoy it or is it kind of mean to spin them around like that?

Old 11-27-2011, 10:17 AM

19,198 posts, read 31,479,243 times
Squirrels are smarter than engineers. They will quickly learn that by getting spun around a time or two, whole showers of seeds will be dumped onto the ground which they can then simply walk over to and eat. Same end, different means.

There is a Wild Bird Center in downtown Oakton that has a nice selection of feeders, seed, and other bird and wildlife-related paraphernalia.

Old 11-27-2011, 01:08 PM

2,090 posts, read 4,247,994 times
I had a friend with the squirrel flipper and it was great fun to watch. Wonderful entertainment value!

Old 11-28-2011, 01:54 PM

5,759 posts, read 10,726,479 times
We thought about hiring a bird feeder, but most of them charge too much. And very few know how to use the tiny spoon to feed the various birds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by persnicketygal View Post
There's a really helpful bird/animal stuff store in Arlington at the Lee/Harrison shopping center where Harris Teeter, Dogma, Elevation Burger (i think that's the one) and other shops are. It's across from the Safeway. You might try there if it's not out of your way. They always have interesting bird feeders in the display window. (There's also another pet store in that strip mall, but I'm talking about the one that's closest to the Harris Teeter.)
Yup, that's Dominion Pet Supply.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia