Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2011, 02:15 PM

8,868 posts, read 12,564,078 times

Advertisements

Guest Commentary: Light Rail Would Be a Boon to City of F.C. | Falls Church News-Press Online

I wonder though. A few years ago the virginia dept of rail whatever, did a beltway corridor rail study, suggesting either a line on the beltway, or down gallows road from Tysons. Could we support that AND a rte 7 line? With ROW reserved along Gallows, as part of the Mosaic project, would LRT be more feasible than on Rte 7? Of course it sounds like city of FC is mostly interested in goosing commercial development within the city limits, so a Gallows Rd line doesnt really do much for them.

As the New Tysons develops, there are some interesting possibilities on the horizon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2011, 02:28 PM

799 posts, read 1,290,159 times
What would be the major cons to the project? The opinion piece dances around the cost issue. I suspect that's the big problem.

Old 12-13-2011, 02:57 PM

8,982 posts, read 21,171,724 times
I'm not so knowledgeable about the logistics of getting around Falls Church but it seems like reviving their "George" bus service might be a more cost-effective approach than light rail. And this is coming from someone who favors rail expansion over buses.

If anything, I would predict that the light rail would sooner provide a convenient alternative/subsidy for Tysons Corner commuters than bring more commercial business into Falls Church.

Old 12-13-2011, 04:52 PM

2,136 posts, read 5,312,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tone509 View Post
I'm not so knowledgeable about the logistics of getting around Falls Church but it seems like reviving their "George" bus service might be a more cost-effective approach than light rail. And this is coming from someone who favors rail expansion over buses.
I agree about GEORGE. It helpfully connected the two Metro stations with each other (neither of which is actually in the city limits) by going through downtown. I don't know where they would put light rail down Route 7 - not on the stretch through the city limits, anyway.

Old 12-13-2011, 05:28 PM

117 posts, read 233,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdmurphy View Post
I agree about GEORGE. It helpfully connected the two Metro stations with each other (neither of which is actually in the city limits) by going through downtown. I don't know where they would put light rail down Route 7 - not on the stretch through the city limits, anyway.
I have to respectfully disagree. GEORGE was a boondoggle. I live in Falls Church and I don't think I ever saw one of those buses with more than 2 or 3 passengers, with them being completely empty most of the time. It would be a huge waste of money to bring them back. I'm not saying that I'd be in favor of the light rail as an alternative, only that I think the bus option was tried and it proved to be a huge failure.

Old 12-13-2011, 06:04 PM

1,624 posts, read 4,869,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LocalGuy61 View Post
I have to respectfully disagree. GEORGE was a boondoggle. I live in Falls Church and I don't think I ever saw one of those buses with more than 2 or 3 passengers, with them being completely empty most of the time. It would be a huge waste of money to bring them back. I'm not saying that I'd be in favor of the light rail as an alternative, only that I think the bus option was tried and it proved to be a huge failure.
The George was substantially supported by federal grants, probably due to the fact a lot of politicians and high level government executives live in the area.

No one used it and it bled money. It wasn't economically feasible and would require substantial subsidies by people/taxpayers who don't use it. When the grants disappeared, the George disappeared.

Lesson learned: Rich and upper class people don't like buses. Especially if they live in the suburbs.

The same story applied to the lunch line bus service through Tyson's Corner that no one ever used.

Old 12-14-2011, 06:28 AM

19,198 posts, read 31,479,243 times
"Using it" is hardly the only benefit that is derived from a transit system. Those who "use it" obviously help pay for it through fares. Businesses that are made more convenient destinations for their employees and customers also benefit, and there is every reason for them to pay as well. This is the logic behind the Silver Line Special Tax Districts, and the principle applies in different flavors everywhere.

As for Falls Church, I would guess that their light-rail future rests heavily on the success of the Columbia Pike transit project and on the pace of progress at New Tysons. If the Pike Transit and Arlington Multi-Modal people can keep their wits about them, there is no reason why that experiment should not be a glowing success. If it is, demand for branch and feeder lines will be quick and signficant in coming, and a Skyline to Tysons run (right through downtown Falls Church) will be almost inevitable.

Within New Tysons itself, I would expect to see some sort of pod-based PRT (personal rapid transit) system emerge. Almost like taxis, these can quickly and efficiently provide direct, climate-controlled, Point-A to Point-B travel to individuals and small groups over relatively short distances in relatively high-density areas. But with no traffic lights, no traffic jams, no non-English-speaking drivers, and likely no or no significant fares.

Old 12-14-2011, 06:39 AM

18,717 posts, read 31,089,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slim04 View Post
No one used it and it bled money. It wasn't economically feasible and would require substantial subsidies by people/taxpayers who don't use it. When the grants disappeared, the George disappeared.
Good point. Although I like the idea and yes, it would be a boon in some ways, is it really that practical? Would enough people use light rail in and to Falls Church to justify the expense? I'm not sure what the answer is. Maybe it all comes down to better marketing, but then again maybe it just wouldn't attract enough customers no matter how well it was marketed. Light rail service in PW County seems like a better thing to focus on, IMO.

Old 12-14-2011, 07:03 AM

3,315 posts, read 10,092,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slim04 View Post
Lesson learned: Rich and upper class people don't like buses. Especially if they live in the suburbs.
Then I guess they like sitting in traffic for gawd-awful hours because the buses are so horrid.

I'll take the metro and bus anytime over a car, at least if commuting into DC (oh I forgot I am not rich though).

Old 12-14-2011, 07:38 AM

8,868 posts, read 12,564,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LocalGuy61 View Post

I never had the opportunity to ride it, but ISTR reading elsewhere that George was fairly circuitous - it went all around City of FC in an attempt to be accessible to everyone. A better designed bus service would focus on key ridership generating locations - the metro stations, the main commercial areas, and the highest density residential areas. The same would hold, as far as possible, for a street car or light rail solution.

to summarize - george vs some future light rail

A. any transit should be designed to get high ridership relative to areas served, which IIUC George was not
B. some affluent people will take LRT but not bus - partly due to a smoother, quieter ride, partly due to image - in either case, this means more riders, which means more frequent service, which attracts more frequency sensitive riders, in a virtuous cycle
C. The presence of rail, which cannot easily be changed, has been shown to do more to induce new development (which in turn leads to more ridership)
D. We are talking aboutsome point fairly far in the future (given the time it takes these things from idea to approval to implementation) - when the employment concentration at Tysons will be even larger than it is now, and Tysons will be a more attractive destination for non drivers.

That does not prove the concept will work - but I wouldn't dismiss it out of hand based on the experience of George

vs PWC - thats much lower density than FC and adjacent areas, IIUC. In falls church and elsewhere on rte 7 there is the opportunity to shape development. Perhaps there is in PWC - what specific corridor are we talking about?

Last edited by brooklynborndad; 12-14-2011 at 08:01 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia