Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2012, 10:00 AM

13 posts, read 20,831 times

Advertisements

Is it illegal to pay rent for a single room in another school pyramid order to attend another school in FX county? I wanted to pull my son our of his high school and go to private school because of dispute with the administrations at his school last year. It would be cheaper if I just pay to share a house or rent a room and use the address and lease to enroll my son. I think could have use my friends' address for this purpose but I don't want to get into legal trouble. Is it illegal to pay rent and use the address for school purpose without actually living there? If the school found out, what would be the consequence? Thanks for your help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2012, 10:19 AM

147 posts, read 410,536 times
It may be less "illegal" and more "against the rules," but don't quote me on that. I think you might get away with something like this, and I doubt you'd be the first one to employ that strategy, but if it's discovered that the child is not actually a full-time resident at that address, there would probably be issues.

Old 07-24-2012, 10:21 AM

9,879 posts, read 14,131,555 times
According to the Registration process, you and your child must actually live in the school division; so yes, I think that would be considered illegal.

Fairfax County Public Schools: Special Services: Student Registration: Residency and Custody

As to the penalties if caught, I have no idea.

Old 07-24-2012, 10:45 AM

13 posts, read 20,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eyeball View Post
It may be less "illegal" and more "against the rules," but don't quote me on that. I think you might get away with something like this, and I doubt you'd be the first one to employ that strategy, but if it's discovered that the child is not actually a full-time resident at that address, there would probably be issues.
Yes, I know it could be issues if the school found out. I want to know if it was discovered, would they do anything worse than kicking my son back to his base school.

Old 07-24-2012, 10:50 AM

231 posts, read 455,839 times
They'd make you serve lunch at the original school.

Old 07-24-2012, 11:40 AM

9,879 posts, read 14,131,555 times
Actually all of the affidavits that Fairfax County Public Schools use clearly state that "providing false or otherwise untrue information for school enrollment purposes constitutes a Class 3 Misdemeanor". So, you could receive a fine up to $500.

Old 07-24-2012, 11:42 AM

526 posts, read 901,180 times
Have you looked into pupil placing him at the other school? If you can come up with something that his base school doesn't offer, sometimes that can be done. If your high school is an IB school and you want him in an AP school, for instance, I think they'll usually try to accommodate you. Are you very particular about which school you put him in, or do you primarily just want him out of his base school?

Old 07-24-2012, 11:58 AM

20,126 posts, read 16,163,816 times
In Kentucky a father has been charged with theft for using a false address to put his son in a different school district and faces jail time in addition to fines and over $30,000 in restitution. It is a different school district, meaning he wasn't paying taxes in that school district, so that is different than what you want but still....

On a different note, don't you think it might be a bad lesson for your son to see you fudge (also known as falsifying) information to get something you are not entitled to? Wouldn't that teach him that honesty is immaterial if it doesn't suit what you want?

Old 07-24-2012, 02:24 PM

2,612 posts, read 5,586,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doit41 View Post
Is it illegal to pay rent for a single room in another school pyramid order to attend another school in FX county? I wanted to pull my son our of his high school and go to private school because of dispute with the administrations at his school last year. It would be cheaper if I just pay to share a house or rent a room and use the address and lease to enroll my son. I think could have use my friends' address for this purpose but I don't want to get into legal trouble. Is it illegal to pay rent and use the address for school purpose without actually living there? If the school found out, what would be the consequence? Thanks for your help.
I know two people who graduated from Mclean high school that way. The consequences are usually just that they kick you out and make you go to the old school, but i don't see how they could prove you are not living there. i'm not even sure they would bother to. just make sure you check the mail regularly so you get the stuff the school sends home.

Old 07-24-2012, 02:25 PM

270 posts, read 909,009 times
This a tough one. Let's think about how you might do this. Basically, the only reason you can ask for a high school transfer is to switch from IB to AP or vice versa, unless the student has documented medical issues. The new school has to be the closest one to you, you will have to provide transportation, and you had to have applied by 15 April. So at this point that option is foreclosed.

Renting a room on paper for school purposes would cause you to have fill out a false document, which is a misdemeanor, as others have pointed out. Normally, this comes up for people who don't live in Fairfax County, so the school district would also grounds to recover the tuition, although I don't know if they actually do that.

Thisleaves your only failsafe option as to move and actually reside in the new division. Technically, you could keep your old house, as long as you "live" in the new one. The schools ask for lots of proof when you do this, but it's still probably cheaper than private school tuition. The catch is you actually will have to establish real residence there with at least one parent. It's the parent's residence, not the kid's, that counts. The County can't tell you where or how to live. They have some language about " not solely for school purposes," but that has got to be hard to prove in court. Many, many people move to Fairfax County solely for school purposes.

Or you could just move. If you think it's in the best interest of your child, just do it. Once you sign a contract, he can enroll at the new school, you don't actually have to be in yet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
View detailed profiles of: