Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2012, 08:48 AM

303 posts, read 595,764 times

Advertisements

So every morning, I commute into Old Town via the Wilson Bridge. Specifically, I take exit 177C towards Mt. Vernon, which is right next to 177B which takes you down what I think is Jefferson Davis Highway/South Washington St.

Anyway, the Bridge gets backed up in the mornings and there's always a HUGE line of people trying to travel down Jefferson Davis Highway. On occasion I see some folks pull over to the shoulder and drive along that for the length of the bridge to get to 177C.

What do you guys think of that? Is it frowned upon by the cops? Anyone ever been pulled over for doing that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2012, 09:51 AM

7,670 posts, read 14,247,500 times
I can tell you it is illegal in VA to do that and I would imagine Alexandria PD or VA State will write that one if they see it. My guess is that enough people will complain about it to the point that the PD will eventually start sitting there writing as many as they catch. As a retired LEO I've seen this in other locations where I worked.

Old 10-10-2012, 10:16 AM

564 posts, read 1,494,253 times
Yup, illegal but don't think the chances of getting caught are that high - agree with Bigfoot, eventually someone will complain and they will set up enforcement area for a while. On the other hand, I see people drive in the Red "X" lanes on 66 headed east every single evening and never have I seen anyone caught.

Old 10-10-2012, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottfs View Post
Yup, illegal but don't think the chances of getting caught are that high - agree with Bigfoot, eventually someone will complain and they will set up enforcement area for a while. On the other hand, I see people drive in the Red "X" lanes on 66 headed east every single evening and never have I seen anyone caught.

LE has to weigh the need to enforce laws like this VS screwing up traffic and creating an unsafe situation for the officer, person stopped and the traffic going by. One of my favorite ones was back in the early 80's when 28 was widened in Manassas leading to Centreville but Fairfax was in no hurry to widen their side of 28. It was five lanes with the fifth lane being the center turn lane. You can only travel 150 feet (I think) in one of these lanes. Traffic would back up every AM leading into Fairfax. After numerous complaints we were tasked to start sitting there enforcing this turn lane situation. Most people would just travel a 1/2 mile or so down the center lane then cut back in just before hitting the bridge. Some would travel this distance and pull into the Amoco station at the county line, then pull right back out into traffic. Of course we nailed them both ways and the drivers sitting in traffic would clap and cheer us everytime and yell thanks to us. The people pulling into the gas station had all kinds of excuses. I meant to get gas but realized I forgot my wallet when I pulled in was always a good one. Of course they pulled their license out of the wallet so that never worked.

Old 10-10-2012, 12:25 PM

939 posts, read 1,893,672 times
I've seen them enforce this on other roads, don't see why they wouldn't on the bridge. I've never once seen a cop around here consider the traffic implications by pulling someone over and causing a scene on a busy highway. Sometimes I think they enjoy making everyone's afternoon worse.

Old 10-10-2012, 01:55 PM

303 posts, read 595,764 times
It's so strange. I see people do it every morning, and it's to the point where you've got two lines that sometimes stagnate as far out as the halfway point on the bridge (if traffic is particularly gnarly). I've even seen people coast by cops and nothing was done. Just made me wonder how legal it was.

Old 10-10-2012, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by njclay2004 View Post
It's so strange. I see people do it every morning, and it's to the point where you've got two lines that sometimes stagnate as far out as the halfway point on the bridge (if traffic is particularly gnarly). I've even seen people coast by cops and nothing was done. Just made me wonder how legal it was.
The cops you are seeing may not be within their jurisdiction or if they were they may have been going on a call. They won't always have lights/sirens on when on a call.

Old 10-10-2012, 02:31 PM

939 posts, read 1,893,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigfoot424 View Post
The cops you are seeing may not be within their jurisdiction or if they were they may have been going on a call. They won't always have lights/sirens on when on a call.
That could be the case. Who polices that bridge? MD, VA or shared? First thing I do when I see police around here is to identify locality to see if I should care or not.

Old 10-10-2012, 03:50 PM

437 posts, read 1,229,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GustavoFring View Post
That could be the case. Who polices that bridge? MD, VA or shared? First thing I do when I see police around here is to identify locality to see if I should care or not.
Most of the bridge is in MD, then a tiny sliver of DC, and VA as soon as you are over the land in Alexandria (the border between Virginia and DC or MD is the Virginia shoreline more or less). I doubt there's much enforcement in the area you are talking about. I see MD troopers on the MD side but seldom see any VA law enforcement on the VA side of the actual bridge.

Old 10-10-2012, 05:56 PM

504 posts, read 1,213,006 times
It's very irritating to see many people doing the same thing on 66 during non-rush hours. Perhaps I should start calling in to complain.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia