Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2012, 05:04 PM

126 posts, read 189,364 times

Advertisements

Ashburn Loudoun Valley - The Meadows

http://www.tollbrothers.com/VA/Loudoun_Valley_-_The_Meadows

The location and price sounds good? I'm new to this area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2012, 05:13 PM

1,304 posts, read 2,426,004 times
Location is terrible - it is basically in no man's land out past Dulles. Unless you work outside the beltway in VA your commute will be a nightmare.

I also would not purchase a "luxury" townhouse that far out either. Nothing against THs, but people that can afford these luxury THs will likely be looking at SFHs and not townhomes. People live out that far because they want nice big single family homes that are very expensive closer to DC, not because they want to live in a townhouse.

Old 02-22-2012, 05:32 PM

1,570 posts, read 4,617,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boyd888 View Post
Location is terrible - it is basically in no man's land out past Dulles. Unless you work outside the beltway in VA your commute will be a nightmare.

I also would not purchase a "luxury" townhouse that far out either. Nothing against THs, but people that can afford these luxury THs will likely be looking at SFHs and not townhomes. People live out that far because they want nice big single family homes that are very expensive closer to DC, not because they want to live in a townhouse.
A no mans land?? REALLY? have you been to Leesburg and saw all the people who live ther?? What about Dulles Town Center on a weekend? or Walmart?? you have no idea what you are talking about. For the life of me I cannot understand why people consider Ashburn to be far out! haha.. It is not far out to people who work out here and LOTS of people do! Plus the toll road is an option. Loudoun Valley is close to where I live in Brambleton and personally I would look over here in Brambleton over Loudon Valley simply because have a nice shopping center within walking distance with a movie theater,shops, resturants ect. Brambleton offers man different builders and townhome types.. This area is growing like crazy! You wont be able to recongnize it in 5 years! Just my 2 cents

Old 02-22-2012, 05:49 PM

Thanks for the reply. Right now it may be a no man's land but soon may be anouther couple of years it will be totally different.
I like this location since within a mile there a elementary school, within 2 miles middle school and soon new high school is coming. Moreover, very famous builders and it's a township.

Old 02-22-2012, 06:17 PM

2,867 posts, read 3,555,678 times
While I agree the commute to DC would be horrible by any and all standards, Loudoun County (Ashburn / Broadlands / Brambleton) are hardly no mans land. Are we Ballston? No. Falls Church? Nope. We are Loudoun county, the absolute tightest housing market in the nation by a good margin. Life out here isn't for everyone, I will admit that. I work in Tyson's, drive the toll road. Every time I come over the hill on my way home on the toll road that lets you see Dulles tower, I can feel the day's daily grind melt away as I watch the sun set behind the mountains. I LOVE that I'm heading in that direction. If you like having elbow room in your private life, like being around new things, like hearing the birds chirp on an early Saturday morning, kids playing and laughing during the day in the neighborhood, and knowing you paid about $350,000 less than those with comparable settings further in, than this area is right for you. It's the "burbs" in every sense of the word. Family oriented, almost exclusively, but not totally. If I could compare it to another setting, it would be Johnson County, Kansas (Overland Park / Leawood). 20 years ago, 119th street was the edge of "no mans land". Today, it's 195th street.

Old 02-22-2012, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC211 View Post
While I agree the commute to DC would be horrible by any and all standards, Loudoun County (Ashburn / Broadlands / Brambleton) are hardly no mans land. Are we Ballston? No. Falls Church? Nope. We are Loudoun county, the absolute tightest housing market in the nation by a good margin. Life out here isn't for everyone, I will admit that. I work in Tyson's, drive the toll road. Every time I come over the hill on my way home on the toll road that lets you see Dulles tower, I can feel the day's daily grind melt away as I watch the sun set behind the mountains. I LOVE that I'm heading in that direction. If you like having elbow room in your private life, like being around new things, like hearing the birds chirp on an early Saturday morning, kids playing and laughing during the day in the neighborhood, and knowing you paid about $350,000 less than those with comparable settings further in, than this area is right for you. It's the "burbs" in every sense of the word. Family oriented, almost exclusively, but not totally. If I could compare it to another setting, it would be Johnson County, Kansas (Overland Park / Leawood). 20 years ago, 119th street was the edge of "no mans land". Today, it's 195th street.
Great post! I too love seeing the mountains in the background... I look out my balcony see the tower to the airport on one side and the mountains on the other.. simply awesome!

Old 02-22-2012, 06:47 PM

1,304 posts, read 2,426,004 times
35 miles from DC is far - an hour commute if you are lucky. If you are commuting further west or in the same general area it is no big deal though.

Certainly NOVAs outlying counties have people that live and work in that county, but many of the residents (especially the ones buying the new homes) are people that put their max home price into a home search site and saw the closest to DC "nice" place they could afford was Loudon County. I didn't mean to imply that these outer areas are dumps or anything, but the buildup and development of the outer counties is driven by DC commuters that want affordable housing, not by anything going on the county itself.

If you are looking for newer built homes with nice schools take a look at Bristow/Gainesville (toll brothers builds there too) in Prince William County. That way if you are commuting east you won't be paying $4 a day in tolls, won't have an international airport three miles from your house, etc. You do have to deal with 66 though.

Old 02-22-2012, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boyd888 View Post
35 miles from DC is far - an hour commute if you are lucky. If you are commuting further west or in the same general area it is no big deal though.

Certainly NOVAs outlying counties have people that live and work in that county, but many of the residents (especially the ones buying the new homes) are people that put their max home price into a home search site and saw the closest to DC "nice" place they could afford was Loudon County. I didn't mean to imply that these outer areas are dumps or anything, but the buildup and development of the outer counties is driven by DC commuters that want affordable housing, not by anything going on the county itself.

If you are looking for newer built homes with nice schools take a look at Bristow/Gainesville (toll brothers builds there too) in Prince William County. That way if you are commuting east you won't be paying $4 a day in tolls, won't have an international airport three miles from your house, etc. You do have to deal with 66 though.
Alright that sounds a little better than calling us a no man's land.. Just comming out and saying that the location is terrible without even knowing where the OP currently works or is going to work was a bit much for me. I understand that living out here isnt for everyone but for some it works! It is all about what you want. Gainesville/Bristow is nice and I like it a lot but Ashburn is more my cup of tea.

Old 02-22-2012, 08:00 PM

I work in Rosslyn. I will commute by bus.

Old 02-22-2012, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rome99 View Post
I work in Rosslyn. I will commute by bus.
that will not be the best commute but definatly not the worse.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia