Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2012, 10:49 AM

4,036 posts, read 9,244,748 times

Advertisements

I just mentioned the difference between working ITB (Inside the Beltway) and OTB (Outside the Beltway) in another thread but figured I'd start a new one. I started a thread in the DC forum but figured I'd put up a posting in the NoVA one as well. So does anyone see a difference in the office environments in the burbs versus the city?

When I worked ITB in Arlington it was my first "real job" with occasional meetings in the city. A meeting in the city was this to-do affair. A suit and tie day. Dress code was strictly enforced every day and it was very polished because one never knew when a customer would be in the building.

When I worked in Chantilly it was fairly laidback. Everyone was all about their polo shirts and khakis. No suits. Now that I work in Herndon its even more laidback. I just rock a collared usually button down shirt and jeans to work. I hate the commute to Dulles but love the laidback atmosphere.

The further my workplace gets from the city it seems that the older but more laidback co-workers become. In Arlington it was young go-getters kissing a$$ and doing anything to get to the top. In the burbs everyone wants to get ahead of course but their more concerned about their kids, their next vacation, or what to do this weekend. Fewer live to work types and more work to live types.

Am I wrong in my observation? Could it just be a coincidence and at the end of the day overall an office is an office? Or is there a difference in the office environments in the Virginia suburbs versus the District?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2012, 10:54 AM

18,717 posts, read 31,086,150 times
I've never worked inside the beltway, so I can't compare. But I will agree that my jobs in the burbs have always been surprisingly laid back. The job I have now also has a very casual dress code, but we almost never have customers visit us so it doesn't really matter.

Old 03-07-2012, 11:08 AM

9,879 posts, read 14,128,518 times
I think the dress code is driving mostly by the industry and specific company. I've worked for two companies that had multiple locations - in the city, ITB, and OTB. Dress code was the same at all locations for the same company, but differnt between companies. One was dressier, one was mroe casual.

Old 03-07-2012, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
I've never worked inside the beltway, so I can't compare. But I will agree that my jobs in the burbs have always been surprisingly laid back. The job I have now also has a very casual dress code, but we almost never have customers visit us so it doesn't really matter.
Yeah customers don't like to travel this far out it seems. Which is fine with me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spencgr View Post
I think the dress code is driving mostly by the industry and specific company. I've worked for two companies that had multiple locations - in the city, ITB, and OTB. Dress code was the same at all locations for the same company, but differnt between companies. One was dressier, one was mroe casual.
Interesting observation. True it might be the company. My last gig was with a fairly formal company. They didn't even allow jeans on Fridays. While this one has that laidback California start up vibe even though its not.

Old 03-07-2012, 12:47 PM

5,759 posts, read 10,725,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spencgr View Post
I agree; having worked both inside the Beltway (half a mile from the White House) and way outside the Beltway, I've found that dress code is dictated by industry and employer rather than location.

Even within the federal government, there are differences; State Department is all suits, and so is DoD at the Pentagon. But at other DoD locations, it's business casual unless you're a department head.

Old 03-07-2012, 02:14 PM

4,437 posts, read 8,131,234 times
I like the fact that I work OTB. It's laid back here and I wear jeans pretty much daily. Periodically I'll have to go into DC for a meeting or training and I always dread it. People are a lot more stuffy and I'm more careful of what I say or how I say it when I'm downtown.

I've worked in DC in previous jobs and I always hated it. Just trying to go out to lunch was a PITA.

Old 03-07-2012, 02:22 PM

4,489 posts, read 10,946,208 times
My "outside the beltway" corporate experience is limited to Kingstowne, which isn't exactly far outside the beltway...but it was very formal, ties for the guys and hose for the women most every day (slightly less in the summer, just out of temperature necessity.) It's the industry though--we were in IT consulting, so we were selling ourselves as much as a product. Honestly, one of the best parts of switching into teaching is that now I can wear flats on a daily basis (no more heels every day!)

Old 03-07-2012, 03:56 PM

1,534 posts, read 3,725,397 times
When I head into the office (ITB) I often wear a suit if I am meeting with outside folks or will wear less formal attire if I am meeting with inside folks. If I need to go to Capitol Hill, I definitely wear a suit. (Absolutely no heels though.) We do have casual Fridays but I usually telework that day anyway.

Old 03-08-2012, 09:43 AM

In the past suits were mandatory for meeting with customers in the District.

Yeah the consensus does seem to lean towards the particular company versus location. Its also nice to see some agree that it is more laidback OTB. This summer my contract is up. So I have to decide what my next step is going to be. I'm leaning towards moving back ITB or dare I say the District. Where I move will be dictated by where I work though.

I've done the south Arlington to Chantilly commute in July with no A/C before but not sure I want to do that again.

Old 03-09-2012, 09:40 AM

404 posts, read 1,147,997 times
My work is technically inside the beltway in Old Town Alexandria for an association but we're pretty laid back compared to what I've seen in DC. We're not required to wear suits and ties except for gov't affairs people. There's no workaholic "work is life!" type culture, by 6pm the office is completely empty.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia