Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2012, 06:55 AM

147 posts, read 254,992 times

Advertisements

I took a sanity day this past Friday and once I had done my cleaning in the morning decided to spend the early afternoon in the local library. i already had some reading material but I wanted to check on some things there.
I got there and noticed for the first time that a uniformed Fairfax County police officer was standing at the reference desk. I figured something must have happened and went on with my work.
Meanwhile as I get up to use the restroom, look for books and generally stretch, I notice that he is still there not only standing around but patrolling the stacks, answering patron questions and generally acting as if he is there all of the time. I left just before 4:30 and he was still there.
I have been to this library and just about every other Fairfax County library in the system at least 1-2 times per week and never seen a police officer "working" at that branch.
I usually only go after work and on weekends, but why do you think this branch had there own officer?
I of course could have asked but didn't.
If some of you don't know, Fairfax County has cut back library services severely in the last couple of years so there seem to be barely enough hours to cover the regular employees much less a police officer.
Has anyone else seen a police officer working in any of the other branches of the Fairfax County libraries?
I googled about it but could not find anything.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2012, 07:27 AM

92 posts, read 201,510 times
I don't see police regularly at the Reston library, only when there is an incident.

Old 03-19-2012, 08:10 AM

18,717 posts, read 31,070,580 times
Just a guess, but maybe he was hoping to catch someone using the library for criminal purposes. Maybe someone's been using the library computers for a scam, or maybe the building is a meeting place for someone they're tracking.

Old 03-19-2012, 08:12 AM

4,709 posts, read 12,669,699 times
There is definitely more police activity around that library lately....because of the Chantilly High School student that was run down by a car the other day. That wouldn't explain a cop IN the the library though. I was going to say that maybe he was killing time 'til school let out but 4:30 is too late for that and I don't know of any high school that has late runs on Friday.

I could understand an officer assigned to the Centreville library (rough area) but not Chantilly....

Old 03-19-2012, 08:25 AM

1,449 posts, read 3,170,151 times
something is happening in this area that I can't get an answer about. On Thursday, they were searching for a suspect with a low flying helicopter and police cars cruising the neighborhood, but telling us there was "no immediate threat". Not much of a comfort when you are going to the school down the road for an event with almost 100 kids at night. I am pretty sure I heard the helicopter a couple more times this weekend. It is ticking me off that they won't tell us what the heck is going on.

Don't know if it is related to the officer at the library, but since it is in the same general area, I wouldn't be surprised.

Old 03-19-2012, 10:46 AM

Thank you for the replies. He was definitely there for at least 4 hours inside the building. I don't think he ever left. I am thinking that maybe he is looking for suspicious activity. I saw him walking the entire library too. He even went into the back - reading area - at least once. I got the impression he was looking for something - or someone.
No one else seemed fazed by it though.

Old 03-19-2012, 10:54 AM

5,759 posts, read 10,719,093 times
Does this library have a homeless problem? If so, that could be the explanation, if one or more of them started using profanity, drinking, or getting into a scuffle, etc. (Arlington Central Library has lots of homeless guys playing solitaire all day and sleeping next door to the library at night.)

Old 03-19-2012, 12:02 PM

989 posts, read 2,854,446 times
I was there about a month ago, using one of the meeting rooms during the day. There was one there that day and he peeked in about three times in the hour I was there. Didn't open the door, just peered through the window. I'm at Herndon frequently and never noticed a police presence there, even with the homeless guy who lives right out front.

Old 03-19-2012, 04:21 PM

14,129 posts, read 31,238,974 times
A new Officer Bookman in training?

Old 03-19-2012, 07:34 PM

Quote:
I was there about a month ago, using one of the meeting rooms during the day. There was one there that day and he peeked in about three times in the hour I was there. Didn't open the door, just peered through the window. I'm at Herndon frequently and never noticed a police presence there, even with the homeless guy who lives right out front.
I have never seen them anywhere else either.
Was the officer sandy haired with a crewcut and mustache? That was my guy.
I don't think Chantilly has a homeless problem at all to be honest - at least not in that area.
And I routinely have to share seating with the homeless guys from next door to the Reston library as they like to sleep back by the magazines. They don't bother me - I figure i am just visiting they probably effectively live there in the hot Summer days.
I am not complaining, I am just curious. What happened at that particular branch of the Fairfax cnty library system that they feel the need for an officer there at least half a day while they are cutting budgets for the rest of the staff?
Again, the guy was working! he was not just standing around, he was patrolling and even answering questions from the patrons. I think I will ask him what is up next time.
I guess I am just too curious for my own good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia