Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2012, 03:52 PM

939 posts, read 1,893,419 times

Advertisements

franklymls.com and redfin usually include all sorts of great extra information such as previous sale records, HOA fees, annual taxes and tax assessments. Franklymls is literally the best site I've ever seen, but it doesn't update as quickly as redfin. If anyone is into manipulation of datasets, the best you're going to find is franklymls.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2012, 04:40 PM

59 posts, read 150,003 times
[quote=FCNova;23572217]Where are you seeing these ads? The websites I use for real estate searches almost always have the condo fee info listed. Moderator cut: Please post only generic MLS sites, not ones owned by specific brokerages. Thank you.

CL ads which often leads me to other realtor links

Old 03-26-2012, 05:42 PM

2,772 posts, read 4,318,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklynborndad View Post
You can't do that at my townhome, cause of the way this development is arranged, and where the parking spots are. OTOH in a condo you don't have to decide what to do when someone has surgery or is on pregnancy bed rest (but if you have one of those rare THs with a room suitable to be a first floor BR, you dont have to worry about that either).

I don't think theres any general rule for comfort. Its not only that its subjective, but all these TH and condo developments are different (there are developments in DC where you can go straight from the elevator into a supermarket without going outside - I'd say that beats driving to your front door with groceries.)
Theres a development in Tysons that allows this, it's Park Crest, with our own Harris Teeter. Screw parking at a grocery store. If I want ice cream at midnight, I get ice cream at midnight with all of a 1 minute elevator ride.

Anyways, sorry I did go on a tangent. I guess I was getting at the concept of why condo fees can be "large". Again, if land and area space is your priority then condos clearly are not a choice. But when you consider a lot of people use 200sf for a home gym, 150 square feet for a home office, a lot of a backyard for a pool, etc. The 1000 to 1600 sf you find in comparable condos starts seeming like a lot more, and for cheaper than actually buying all those things yourself. So because of all that, you really should compare them on equal, or atleast somewhat discounted footing (since they are shared among residents).

To spencgr point, I sorta goated you into stating my initial point, that houses have depreciation costs that most people don't budget. You choose to hire to do monthly upkeep, in otherwords, you are maintaining your home value by not allowing it to depreciate through preventative and aesthetic upkeep. That same cost, if you didn't do anything, would be counteracted as a depreciation cost of your home if it started to lose its looks, wear and tear, ect. If one was fair about budgeting for condo vs townhouse vs house these elements should be considered.

When I retire, I would love to have an authentic 10 generation farmhouse in the real countryside, so please don't take my comments as city vs house. I really just want to start addressing the stigmas attributed to condos that are simply a lack of experience in this region with the land use form.

Old 03-26-2012, 06:04 PM

9,879 posts, read 14,131,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tysonsengineer View Post

To spencgr point, I sorta goated you into stating my initial point, that houses have depreciation costs that most people don't budget. You choose to hire to do monthly upkeep, in otherwords, you are maintaining your home value by not allowing it to depreciate through preventative and aesthetic upkeep. That same cost, if you didn't do anything, would be counteracted as a depreciation cost of your home if it started to lose its looks, wear and tear, ect. If one was fair about budgeting for condo vs townhouse vs house these elements should be considered.
Well, of course they should be considered. I don't think anyone argued otherwise. I was just saying they can't really be quoted on a MLS listing, because the costs vary so greatly depending on the future owner. Condo fees, on the other hand, can be quoted, because they are the exact same for whomever buys the property.

Old 03-26-2012, 06:09 PM

2,772 posts, read 4,318,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spencgr View Post
Well, of course they should be considered. I don't think anyone argued otherwise. I was just saying they can't really be quoted on a MLS listing, because the costs vary so greatly depending on the future owner. Condo fees, on the other hand, can be quoted, because they are the exact same for whomever buys the property.
Yep, then we are on the same page. Thumbs up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia