Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2011, 02:33 PM

65 posts, read 120,546 times

Advertisements

Hello,

My wife and I currently live in an Alexandria condo and I work in Alexandria. I may have the opportunity to move my office to the Culpeper area. I have started to do some research on the area, but can't find anything more recent than about 2007.

First of all, if you have any updated info about Culpeper, Locust Grove, Lake of the Woods, or the surrounding area I would appreciate it!

I would be interested in pretty much anywhere within a half hour of Culpeper. We are looking for the standard "wish list:" 3-4 bedrooms, 2-4 baths, a yard, and good schools. We don't currently have kids, but plan to in the near future.

Here are my potential scenarios:

1)
I stay in the Alexandria office, and when we have kids we move to a townhouse as close to work as possible (I think a short commute is the key to a long and happy marriage ). We could afford up to about $450,000, but my wife would have to return to work shortly after having kids.

Plusses: Great schools, close to tons of entertainment options, friends, museums, etc.

2)
I move to the Culpeper office, we buy a newer SFH with a yard for much less than a townhouse near the Alexandria office, and my wife could be a stay at home wife (her preference, not a sexist thing I swear )

Plusses: Affordable housing, slower pace of life, lower cost of living

I understand that every individual is different, but I would be interested in hearing your thought process and whether you would choose #1 or #2 (or something else?).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2011, 02:38 PM

12,905 posts, read 15,662,473 times
If your wife's career is not important to her, I would choose #2.

As a woman who has raised two children while working, it is NOT easy. I was really never in a position to give up my career AND I knew that if I opted of my career for more than, say, two years--I wasn't getting back in. For me, I *needed* the stability of having that career for me. I didn't like depending on even my husband for my livelihood. That's me.

Having said that, being able to stay home with your kids if you enjoy that, is a wonderful thing. I think the pace of life is definitely SLOW down that way, but you are certainly close enough to the "bustling" to get a dose of that anytime you want.

My father in law lives almost as hermit in Locust Grove. I don't overly care for it there. I have a coworker who commutes from Lake in the Woods to DC and he loves the community--it looks very nice.

Old 11-07-2011, 03:34 PM

9,779 posts, read 15,793,171 times
Lake of the Woods is a neat community. I don't know much about Culpeper other than passing through it on Route 29. It's definitely more of a rural community. So much would depend on what your personalities are and how close you like to be to city life.

Old 11-07-2011, 05:29 PM

14,129 posts, read 31,257,288 times
Would you consider Warrenton? It wouldn't be a bad commute to Culpeper and you'd be closer to more things to do around the rest of NoVA and DC on weekends. It's a nice town.

Old 11-07-2011, 06:58 PM

6,562 posts, read 8,396,092 times
You're looking at two different lifestyles. Country living vs city living.

Lake of the Woods and Locust Grove - even though are a relatively short commute to Culpeper and even Fredericksburg both are located within a rural area. And although Culpeper has grown within the past 10 years or so, it's still what I would consider a town and not so much a city.

I'm a native of Orange County (where LOW and Locust Grove are). Although, I enjoy and like living in NOVA, I'm a country girl at heart and would choose option #2 but live between Culpeper and Fredericksburg so that I could have shopping, dining and entertainment within a 20 minute drive.

I would not choose LOW itself (it's a gated community) but I do like the area surrounding LOW.

So...are you city mouse or country mouse?

P.S. If you're planning this to be your long term home, it's a considerable bus ride to the only high school in Orange County. Of course, by the time you're not- born-yet children are high school aged, OC may build a HS closer to that area - but it's something to think about.

Last edited by HokieFan; 11-07-2011 at 07:07 PM..

Old 11-07-2011, 07:30 PM

2,612 posts, read 5,586,790 times
I would go to Culpeper. Having to go to work full-time with small children can be a nightmare. I don't know anyone who would do it voluntarily unless they can afford a nanny. Even women who think they could never stay home often feel quite differently when they need to go back to work with a child less than two months old. And the cost of decent childcare is unbelievable.

Old 11-07-2011, 07:54 PM

65 posts, read 120,546 times
Thanks for all the responses! We plan on taking a trip down there in early January, but until then I'm stuck on business trips and need to rely on your expertise and opinion.

@ChristineVA: is there anything in particular you dislike about Locust Grove? I've seen some incredible homes for great prices there, I assumed there must be a catch!

@michgc and @HokieFan: I've debated back and forth on that question...I grew up in a large city, but went to college in rural Indiana. My wife grew up outside of Chicago, but spent a lot of time on a farm. I guess we can do rural or city, we just aren't sure which one we prefer for the long term. Thanks for the tip about the high school, I hadn't thought of that one!

@CAVA1990: we haven't looked at Warrenton yet, I'll take a look! Thanks for the suggestion.

@marie5v: thanks! As of now, my wife would like to be a stay at home, at least for a few years. Ideally, I'll be able to work from home a couple days a week by the time kids roll around.

Old 11-07-2011, 09:17 PM

264 posts, read 854,930 times
A factor might be what your wife profession is and how easy it is to go back if needed (economic/life/flexibility). If you are ok on a single income and that covers college retirement etc then go for #2- but if your wife is marketeable and can make a decent amount then weight that. I guess- no need to say amounts but does your wife make above 70K? just factor in daycare, future income beyond the early years and level at work (and being out if the force). It all depends on your tolerance

Old 11-08-2011, 04:51 AM

29 posts, read 56,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arabellava View Post
A factor might be what your wife profession is and how easy it is to go back if needed (economic/life/flexibility). If you are ok on a single income and that covers college retirement etc then go for #2- but if your wife is marketeable and can make a decent amount then weight that. I guess- no need to say amounts but does your wife make above 70K? just factor in daycare, future income beyond the early years and level at work (and being out if the force). It all depends on your tolerance

That's definitely part of the equation. She's a preschool teacher, so her income will always be supplementary. Also, taking a few years off to raise kids will only make her a better teacher I'm sure

Old 11-08-2011, 05:10 AM

4,899 posts, read 7,448,981 times
I'd second Warrenton -- it's growing and lively with young families, housing is affordable and yet it's an easy commute into DC for weekend fun. South on Route 29 into Culpeper is a very easy morning commute. You'd have the best of both worlds. You're also not that far from Charlottesville for more entertainment/shopping options.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia