Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-17-2012, 09:07 AM

18,717 posts, read 31,089,604 times

Advertisements

Hooray, glad to see teachers (and other school employees) getting a raise.

Loudoun school employees could see pay increases | LoudounTimes.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2012, 01:43 PM

2,772 posts, read 4,318,548 times
Good, I still think its ridiculous in life that teachers make so little compared to others who do so much less, let alone they have to pay for materials, work well beyond the typical work day, etc.

Old 04-17-2012, 01:47 PM

18,717 posts, read 31,089,604 times
Agreed, in my ideal world teachers would make the salaries ballplayers make in this real, but less than ideal world.

Old 04-17-2012, 02:30 PM

ha, I dunno if I want to be paying 24million dollars a year for my highschool physics teacher as a taxpayer (sorry Ms. Smith), but I agree teachers should be in the upper end of pay/benefits not the lower end. Benefits are a big bonus for them that sometimes isnt brought up, in many cases worth 20k in itself per year equivalent, but I still think they deserve across the board total salary/benefits in line with 70 to 80k+ especially in this area where they have to have higher credentials

Old 04-17-2012, 04:10 PM

8,826 posts, read 15,322,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tysonsengineer View Post
ha, I dunno if I want to be paying 24million dollars a year for my highschool physics teacher as a taxpayer (sorry Ms. Smith), but I agree teachers should be in the upper end of pay/benefits not the lower end. Benefits are a big bonus for them that sometimes isnt brought up, in many cases worth 20k in itself per year equivalent, but I still think they deserve across the board total salary/benefits in line with 70 to 80k+ especially in this area where they have to have higher credentials
I'm a teacher and I always say that the ballplayers make that money because they bring in that money. Considering how much teams make in just TV revenue, I think the players should get a cut. As a teacher I think I have realistic expectations for my position. I knew going in 19 years ago what the salaries and benefits were, but I also expected pay to at least keep up with cost of living increases. The past few years I've been moving backward. Benefits are ok, but they still eat up a chunk of that check (often they aren't as good as some people think) and of course get more expensive every year, especially healthcare for retirees.

Now, LCPS could see pay raises. It is proposed. It hasn't made it through the budget process yet. I hope it makes it for their employees' sake. Look what is happening to the proposed raises here in Fairfax County. They are quickly going down the tubes. The SB always pays it a lot of lip service and says it is a priority, but it doesn't pan out that way. I don't know how Loudoun compares.

Old 04-17-2012, 04:19 PM

8,826 posts, read 15,322,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tysonsengineer View Post
That's probably about right. A teacher making $65k has about another $25k that the district pays in benefits (social security, VRS, life and health insurance, etc.) You can find good information about area school systems in the annual WABE report:

http://www.fcps.edu/fs/budget/wabe/2012.pdf

Page 38 has informative salary comparisons.

Old 04-17-2012, 05:35 PM

If it were a line item I could vote on, I would always approve teacher salary increases and I would disapprove of road projects to help pay for them :P Unfortunately one is a county budget issue, the other is a state budget issue, and both are out of my control... until I am overlord of earth atleast :P But I promise to be a just and benevolent overlord I promise
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
View detailed profiles of: