Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2012, 10:57 PM

1 posts, read 1,824 times

Advertisements

Has anyone lived at the apartments or know someone who has? Just trying to get some legitimate reviews on the property.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2012, 06:30 AM

111 posts, read 315,175 times
I have not lived in this Avalon but I did live in the one in Ballston for 3 years. They renamed the one in Ballston as AVA. One thing and one thing you have to ask yourself when you sign a lease at an Avalon is are you willing to pay 8 to 10% rent increases every year? This is true, so lets say you get an apartment 1bd/1ba for $1550, great deal! Well when you are up for a re-new on the lease they will say "that because of the market in the area your new rent will be $1705". Our rent went up EVERY YEAR 8 to 10% and there was nothing we could do about it.

So if you are OK with that or dont mind moving after the 1st year... good luck

Link to my old apartment reviews, every Avalon does this. they are scumbags.

Old 07-16-2012, 07:33 AM

262 posts, read 841,184 times
I know someone who has rented at Avalon Crescent for 1 year.

Rent just jumped up $150, but I think that is inline with current market. They charge $300 amenities fee last year, but I don't think they tried to charge it again. Also previously read that they typically take some or all of security deposit for wear and tear items when you eventually move out.

Maintenance staff is responsive and complex seems fine as apartment complexes go.

Only can get Cox here and internet seems to slow down noticeably because it is cable modem (speed slows down with more people on same loop). FIOS is not available.

Floor in apartments feels solid, but you can hear noise such as stereo playing in someone elses apartment. Interior of apartments, cabinets, and appliances are standard generic decent quality stuff.

Old 07-16-2012, 08:30 AM

111 posts, read 315,175 times
The $300 amenity fee is every year. So when you renew your lease you pay another $300 or whatever the amenity fee is for the year.

Old 07-16-2012, 05:59 PM

2,772 posts, read 4,318,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mshan242700 View Post
I know someone who has rented at Avalon Crescent for 1 year.

Rent just jumped up $150, but I think that is inline with current market. They charge $300 amenities fee last year, but I don't think they tried to charge it again. Also previously read that they typically take some or all of security deposit for wear and tear items when you eventually move out.

Maintenance staff is responsive and complex seems fine as apartment complexes go.

Only can get Cox here and internet seems to slow down noticeably because it is cable modem (speed slows down with more people on same loop). FIOS is not available.

Floor in apartments feels solid, but you can hear noise such as stereo playing in someone elses apartment. Interior of apartments, cabinets, and appliances are standard generic decent quality stuff.
I live across the street from it and get Fios, are you sure they still dont have Fios? I have a friend who lives there, he likes that its next to the Harris Teeter (as do I). Beyond that its more affordable than other areas. I am biased though as they are a sponsor of mine, but then again, Im not that biased by that. Its a good middle ground rental choice. Not the cheapest, not the most expensive, and good mix of amenities and good location.

Old 07-16-2012, 06:19 PM

262 posts, read 841,184 times
I think I entered apt. address at Verizon FIOS website last year and it said it wasn't available.

Not sure if that changed.

Old 07-17-2012, 06:40 AM

Dunno, they have been running a LOT of cable down westpark recently with all the construction, I would be shocked if Fios didnt take notice and served my complex off of Jones Branch instead. Prospective 16000 residents over the next 3 years... that should make someone at Fios take notice.

Old 07-17-2012, 06:59 AM

939 posts, read 1,893,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tysonsengineer View Post
Dunno, they have been running a LOT of cable down westpark recently with all the construction, I would be shocked if Fios didnt take notice and served my complex off of Jones Branch instead. Prospective 16000 residents over the next 3 years... that should make someone at Fios take notice.
From what I've understand, FIOS has shut down all of their expansion in recent years and is standing pat. I might be wrong though..

Old 07-17-2012, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GustavoFring View Post
From what I've understand, FIOS has shut down all of their expansion in recent years and is standing pat. I might be wrong though..
I heard that when my office used to be on Route 29, but I think thats for established areas. For new developments the cost to run the line are relatively cheap (since all the roads are torn up with construction and you have bare earth so the cost is a lot less). Not sure though, I have Fios and I enjoy it in my place.

Old 07-17-2012, 08:27 AM

939 posts, read 1,893,168 times
I have fios now and will be forced to give it up for comcast when I move. I'm not looking forward to it at all.. Fios actually isn't priced too bad and I get 43mbps down on their 35 tier with no caps or anything. The only thing that stinks is their modem/router combo that you're almost forced to use if you want to enjoy certain features of the set top TV boxes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia