Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2012, 08:03 AM

9,875 posts, read 14,116,397 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hilsmom View Post
wow, that's tough if it isn't a temporary situation. We did that for a couple months when my family moved into a brand-spanking-new development when I was 13. They wouldn't even put mailboxes at the end of our street until a couple more houses were filled. A couple months of trekking 20 minutes to the central post office in the town that didn't even want to claim us at first (there was a fight over what "town" our development was in before we moved in).

We eventually got mailboxes at the end of the street...and maybe a year or so later in front of our own houses. But the postal authorities fought us every step of the way. Fun, fun!
Yes, and what makes it even more "fantastic" is that many online vendors use the US Postal service database to "verify" addresses you enter for shipping. If I am selecting a shipper other than USPS (which I always try to do to ensure my packages come to my house), I often am denied because they can't find my physical address in the "verified database".

Oh, and did I mention that the actual post office has a zip code of 20118, but the entire rest of the town has a zip code of 20117? I live within a tenth of a mile of the post office (where all of my letter mail goes), but my physical address (where I try and get all my packages to go) has a different address and zip code.

Did I already mention how "charming" I find this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2012, 09:10 AM

18 posts, read 72,237 times
We get our mail between 2-4 pm on weekdays, and usually before 3 pm on Saturdays. I remember when I lived in NC as a kid - we would get our mail by 10 am each and everyday. Of course, that was @ 25 years ago ...

Old 04-24-2012, 03:41 PM

393 posts, read 1,202,501 times
The mail was delivered at 4:00 today, which is very early for my neighborhood.

Old 04-24-2012, 03:46 PM

771 posts, read 1,458,976 times
Mine usually is delivered around noon. And I really couldn't care less.

Its 80% coupons and catalogs that I never use, 15% credit card offers, 4% postcards from an insurance agency or some other random advertising crap, and an occasional Blockbuster movie. Seriously, if it wasn't for Blockbuster I wouldn't even bother checking the mail (though if I was to not check it for a week, I'm sure the mailbox would collapse with all the coupons and crap).

Old 04-24-2012, 05:00 PM

247 posts, read 1,141,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hilsmom View Post
it is so bizarre - I see a mailman on the other side of my street in the morning at 10 am. My mail doesn't show up in my box until 5ish. There must be 2 different mailmen that deliver to my street, because it really makes NO sense.
Same exact thing happens here. We're the first main street in our neighborhood, so I just figured he hit the right side on his way in (we live on the left), and worked his way through the whole neighborhood. Then got us on the way out. It never occured to me that there might be two different carriers working the same street.

Old 04-24-2012, 07:03 PM

15,142 posts, read 27,765,913 times
It is bizarre, we have different carriers here as well (the entire neighborhood can be walked in under 30 mins.) for some reason the "straight stretch gets one carrier and the tiny inner loop has another. (No wonder the USPO is broke) - I do remember, and I'm not THAT old, when the carrier did the entire section (and didn't have to drive up 3 houses to repark so as not to walk more than a couple/few houses).

Old 04-24-2012, 07:21 PM

4,709 posts, read 12,671,485 times
Hasn't been that long ago that the Post Office delivered TWICE a day...

Old 03-28-2013, 02:50 AM

1 posts, read 33,014 times
One thing that can result in delayed mail delivery is when the carrier takes extended breaks during the delivery day in order to have a rendezvous with someone's wife that is home alone while their husband is at work. This is not as uncommon as one might think.

Old 03-28-2013, 03:30 AM

7,670 posts, read 14,236,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by city.data.contributer View Post
One thing that can result in delayed mail delivery is when the carrier takes extended breaks during the delivery day in order to have a rendezvous with someone's wife that is home alone while their husband is at work. This is not as uncommon as one might think.

You registered on CD just to post this?

Old 03-28-2013, 03:34 AM

9,875 posts, read 14,116,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by city.data.contributer View Post
Interesting. I'm often amazed at what may be the catalyst for someone to randomly register on a message board and re-ignite an old, non-controversial thread. Usually, it's to advertise something. This time, I think someone may have just found out something about their spouse.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia