Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2012, 02:47 PM

581 posts, read 2,307,985 times

Advertisements

I am about to shop for a Sealy mattress. I would only buy a Sealy and I am
looking for one of their premium quality mattresses.

We all know the markup on mattresses is insane. And I would rather not
deal with a high-pressure place like "Sleepys". So where would I want to
shop (in the general Chantilly/Herndon/Fairfax area) to get a great price on
a premium Sealy mattress?

Thanks..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2012, 06:04 AM

6,562 posts, read 8,396,092 times
Sealy | Find a Retailer

Old 05-16-2012, 06:22 AM

5,759 posts, read 10,726,479 times
I would advise buying from a department store when they're having a sale; there might be some coming up with Memorial Day. We got a good deal on ours from Macy's.

Old 05-19-2012, 09:32 PM

581 posts, read 2,307,985 times
Thanks Carlingtonian.

I have seen Macy's pricing in the past. They are in a whole other class of price manipulation.
Most places take a $1,000 mattress and price it at $1,999.99 then hold a 50% off sale to get
you to pay what they wanted in the first place. Now Macy's will take that same mattress and
ask $3,600 for it and mark it down to $2000 on sale. (This is based on what I saw 5 years ago
the last time I bought)

Old 05-20-2012, 07:57 PM

49 posts, read 138,300 times
Though selection is very limited, I'd try Costco. They've got a few Sealy Posturepedics and Stearns & Foster sets (Sealy's premium brand) instore but more online. I've purchased a queen size and a full size of the Chapman model for $480 and $399, respectively. As you may know, it's difficult to compare model names from store to store because the names are different. So, compare specs of the set instead.

Old 05-21-2012, 06:47 AM

5,759 posts, read 10,726,479 times
Years ago, I worked for an ad agency that had a mattress company as a client. My take is that it's all springs and polyester. (All those extra coils aren't going to mean squat when you cover them with batting, foam, and a mattress pad/cover.) So I would not worry much about mattress specs or brand names. I'd base the buying decision on what feels good to you when you lie on it.

That said, I'm very intrigued by the testimonals about Tempur-Pedic. But then it better be a good mattress, 'cause it costs a mortgage payment or two.

Old 05-21-2012, 06:50 AM

2,765 posts, read 8,330,006 times
The first thing I do when I go shopping for mattresses, is ask to see the discontinued models out back. Usually these are deeply discounted, and they will let a $2k mattress go for about $700. Most of them are in their original plastic packing too. Every store has them so don't be afraid to ask.

Old 05-21-2012, 07:28 PM

1,652 posts, read 3,880,984 times
You're in luck, since the NoVA suburbs are quite likely the mattress store capital of the US. There are intersections in Fairfax, for instance, from which no fewer than five mattress stores are visible. I'm sure there are all kinds of bargains on Sealy premium mattresses (any model, as well as any model by any other manufacturer) out there to be discovered in Fairfax Co.

More seriously, I've always bought our mattresses from department stores having sales, too - and not just because I enjoy doing my small part not to encourage the area's mattress store glut.

Old 05-22-2012, 05:06 AM

2,136 posts, read 5,312,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlingtonian View Post
Years ago, I worked for an ad agency that had a mattress company as a client. My take is that it's all springs and polyester. (All those extra coils aren't going to mean squat when you cover them with batting, foam, and a mattress pad/cover.) So I would not worry much about mattress specs or brand names. I'd base the buying decision on what feels good to you when you lie on it.

That said, I'm very intrigued by the testimonals about Tempur-Pedic. But then it better be a good mattress, 'cause it costs a mortgage payment or two.
Several members of my extended family have sold mattresses for decades, and all of them have Tempur-pedic at home. I just can't get past the mental hurdle of thinking that it's too hot (I get hot when I sleep) and even if it's some newfangled kind that isn't supposed to get hot, I suspect I will convince myself it's too hot. Plus I like a really firm mattress.

Old 05-22-2012, 06:31 AM

1,558 posts, read 3,857,922 times
I fell a couple of stories off a ladder back in 2001. I couldn't sleep comfortably at all. It was time for a new mattress anyways so my husband and I decided to try a Tempur-Pedic. I'll never have a different bed....ever. 10 years later, it's still in the exact same condition it was when we purchased it. I hate going away and sleeping in hotels, etc...because I miss my bed. I get hot whenever I sleep so I'll put it this way; even when I'm sleeping on a different bed....I still get the same amount of hot. The Tempur-Pedic doesn't seem to contribute more to that at all so I'm not sure where that is coming from but I've heard it from someone else as well. The bottom line....I love, love, love my mattress....love it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia