Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2012, 05:14 PM

5 posts, read 6,774 times

Advertisements

Hi. I will be moving to northern Virginia for work in Fairfax and working on a masters in GMU as well. I have done a lot of research and am still having a hard time finding a place to live. I am looking to rent anywhere from Fairfax to Front Royal. Basically I want to stay in the 1hour 15 min max commute one way and price range of $1200 or less for a 2 bedrooms house or townhouse. What are some good areas that are safe from too much crime and have decent traffic? Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated, thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2012, 05:19 PM

2,879 posts, read 7,779,340 times
I no some folks that got a nice house in Marshall for 1000 pm. It was actually the same person, who told me that Manassas is like Paris (France) compared to Front Royal.

Old 05-23-2012, 06:26 PM

Thanks. I'd love to speak to them. Please send me a message with their contact info.

Old 05-23-2012, 09:22 PM

What is the commute like from Marshal to Fairfax?

Old 05-23-2012, 10:04 PM

1,784 posts, read 3,459,211 times
Is your job normal hours? If so, you will hate yourself if you live in Marshall, Front Royal, etc. and have to take I-66 into Fairfax. And 1h15 mins is out of the question from there.

Distances are deceiving here - 32 miles or 53 are not what you're used to.

Now if you don't have to be in until noon, and you're leaving the area at 10 PM, it's a different story (kinda... it is still I-66 after all).

Old 05-24-2012, 07:36 AM

2,772 posts, read 4,317,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzysax123 View Post
What is the commute like from Marshal to Fairfax?
Sigh

Why, just why.

Best place for a commute to fairfax is.... wait for it.....

Fairfax. I mean seriously its starting to get ridiculous. Hey if you go across the border to west virginia (only about 20 more minutes from Front Royal) you can probably find some real steals in the 500 dollar range. "I am going to be working in Arlington, will living in pittsburgh be a problem?"

First, not sure where you can find a 2br house, this is not a unit option. There are plenty of garden style apartments in central fairfax near GMU (centreville area) that rent out 2brs in your price range. Townhouses will not be an option in that range, have you considered getting another roommate if you want a townhouse? Typically rent for around 2100 to 2500 depending on where you are, and most are 3 or sometimes 4 bedrooms.

I would suggest renting out a basement if you have to live by yourself, or getting a 2br apartment in central fairfax.

marshall to fairfax is just... just... ugh

If you want to live in Marshall, live in marshall, and do marshall things. Living out in marshall in order to have a townhouse is a false economy if you have to drive 65 miles per day. Even if you have a nice gas easy sedan, you are running up a cost of 7 bucks in gas, 5 bucks in depreciation/maintenance, and losing out on 2 to 3 hours of your life (which is worth something to most people). Just gas and depreciation at 12 bucks a day ends up being about 350 bucks that you are spending that you arent taking into account. So the fair way to discuss this would be, I can afford 1550 dollars in Fairfax, or 1200 dollars in Marshall. Atleast then you are taking into account all costs associated with where you live.

Rant rant rant

Old 05-24-2012, 07:45 AM

1,449 posts, read 3,171,342 times
my old neighborhood in Reston was 2 bedroom TH's, so those do exist. For 1200/month, though - that's not likely in Fairfax. I would bet the normal rent in my old neighborhood was somewhere in the 1600-1700 range.

Could you consider a condo? And what about Prince William County - Manassas or Gainesville? That commute would NOT be the killer that anywhere out towards the mountains would be. Or maybe Leesburg or Purcellville in Loudoun?

The people I knew who lived out towards the mountains had to get on the road at 4 am to have any hope of making the trip in less than 3 hours. Do NOT do this to yourself.

Old 05-24-2012, 05:08 PM

2,879 posts, read 7,779,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzysax123 View Post
Thanks. I'd love to speak to them. Please send me a message with their contact info.
they telecommute. I-66 is horrible. It's 20 miles passed the 234 Manassas Exit.

Old 05-25-2012, 02:29 PM

Thanks for the responses, most were helpful. I have been looking into the Prince William County and have found a couple things in Manassas. What do you guys think about Dumfries or Culpeper?

Old 05-25-2012, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hilsmom View Post
my old neighborhood in Reston was 2 bedroom TH's, so those do exist. For 1200/month, though - that's not likely in Fairfax. I would bet the normal rent in my old neighborhood was somewhere in the 1600-1700 range.

Could you consider a condo? And what about Prince William County - Manassas or Gainesville? That commute would NOT be the killer that anywhere out towards the mountains would be. Or maybe Leesburg or Purcellville in Loudoun?

The people I knew who lived out towards the mountains had to get on the road at 4 am to have any hope of making the trip in less than 3 hours. Do NOT do this to yourself.
What about areas like Dumfries or Culpeper? And how is the crime in the area of Manassas. I have heard and read negative things but I know much of that stuff doesnt always paint a realistic day to day picture of an area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia