Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2012, 09:28 AM

17 posts, read 53,786 times

Advertisements

This area: 22306, Alexandria average and median listing prices - Trulia.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2012, 10:02 AM

687 posts, read 1,376,969 times
While Route 1 is a mess, the area east of Route 1 towards the Potomac is very nice. I'm sure the nice areas of Mount Vernon are being counted in any real estate averages.

Old 06-19-2012, 11:10 AM

Sorry for all the questions but is Windbreak Drive considered part of Route 1? There is a small complex of townhouses behind Mt Vernon Square...that's the area I was looking for.

Old 06-19-2012, 11:38 AM

518 posts, read 924,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zilvanessa View Post
I've heard about schools but is because they have some ESL programs? It looks like the further you go (towards Fort Belvoir) the worst it gets?

I'm asking because I've heard people that says "It is a good area" and other ones saying "Don't even think about living there". I was looking a TH in the Mount Vernon Square area...thoughts????
That is part of the West Potomac HS school pyramid. Crime is not too bad in Mt. Vernon Square's townhouses, traffic is a bear but you have plenty of bus routes to get you to Huntington Metro and you have a shopping center with a Safeway on the edge of the community.

Old 06-19-2012, 12:14 PM

687 posts, read 1,376,969 times
You enter that development by exiting off Route 1 and driving past the apartment complex. I would definitely consider that part of the Route 1 area.

Old 06-19-2012, 12:56 PM

448 posts, read 870,381 times
The thing about the Route 1/Richmond Hwy area is that it is kinda isolated. Not a lot to do down there, and it takes a good minute to travel up Route 1 just to get up to I-95/495, then another good while (depending on traffic) just to get to 395. Much less going to a destination like Tysons, Arlington, or DC

Old 06-19-2012, 01:05 PM

3,307 posts, read 9,379,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkseid View Post
The thing about the Route 1/Richmond Hwy area is that it is kinda isolated. Not a lot to do down there, and it takes a good minute to travel up Route 1 just to get up to I-95/495, then another good while (depending on traffic) just to get to 395. Much less going to a destination like Tysons, Arlington, or DC
It's not that bad getting to Arlington or DC because you can take the GW Parkway. The only tough part of that route is going through Old Town. You probably wouldn't take 395 to DC or Arlington from that area.

Old 06-19-2012, 01:15 PM

I'm not worried about traffic...I work early in the morning. My question was focused on the neighborhoods that are right off route 1.

Old 06-19-2012, 01:46 PM

518 posts, read 924,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zilvanessa View Post
I'm not worried about traffic...I work early in the morning. My question was focused on the neighborhoods that are right off route 1.
The neighborhood you mentioned is not that bad at all. My mother lives near there currently and I spent a lot of timing cutting through Mt. Vernon Square to visit my friends while growing up. I have had numerous friends live there over the years as well. If you have any specific questions, I should be able to help.

Old 06-19-2012, 02:00 PM

8,983 posts, read 21,161,808 times
zilvanessa,

As I said in an earlier thread you started about the Mt. Vernon Square townhomes, the THs themselves are fine; it is the apartment complex you pass on the way that can be an issue at times. That said, it is arguably the nicest of the garden apartment complexes on or near Route 1.

$400K is actually low for a house in this area, especially so close to DC. It's not hard to spend double that or more as you head east towards the George Washington Parkway. As others have said, it is indeed the relatively affordable apartments that attract service industry workers, enlisted military working down at Fort Belvoir and, unfortunately, those with idle time on their hands. Some homes immediately to the west of Route 1 have similar issues with idle renters.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia