Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2012, 09:24 AM

6 posts, read 24,679 times

Advertisements

I previously owned my own home and for the past 2 years lived with my folks so I had no idea how hard it'd be to find a place to allow Pits. I am looking for a place close to public transit as I do not drive for under $1,200 a month where I can live with my exceptionally friendly and loving Pitbull mix and my ball crazy White German Shepherd. I have spent 2 days doing online searches and found zilch. Even if I could afford the $1,500 plus I see advertised these places still have restrictions. He's mixed and I used to refer to him as a Lab mix but I still find places that have weight restrictions so even if I can pass him off as another breed I am still not having any luck.

Help please.

Thank you in advance.

Alex
Attached Thumbnails
Apt that allows Pitbulls?-thumper.jpg   Apt that allows Pitbulls?-princess-ball.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2012, 09:27 AM

4,041 posts, read 4,959,730 times
Honestly, I don't think you will find a place that will rent to someone with either one of those breeds. Check craiglist and see if you can find someone private that may do it.

Old 06-21-2012, 09:56 AM

4,489 posts, read 10,945,482 times
You're going to have to find a private landlord. Even the most lenient apartments I know of have 75 lb combined weight limits (i.e. both dogs added together need to be under 75 lbs), and they're nowhere near public transportation or under $1200.

I would highly recommend getting your license. How are you going to get the critters to the vet in an emergency without a car? They aren't allowed on the metro/buses, and even my friend with a seeing eye dog says she has a lot of difficulty flagging down a cab who is willing to accept the dog. It will also open up a lot more options for housing, because your budget is REALLY low for a place with access to public transportation.

Old 06-21-2012, 10:07 AM

648 posts, read 1,333,676 times
Breeds aside, I would think it'd be difficult finding a place that will allow you TWO dogs of their size!
I wish you luck.

Old 06-21-2012, 11:25 AM

84 posts, read 215,454 times
check River House in Pentagon City

Old 06-21-2012, 11:31 AM

4,489 posts, read 10,945,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newbee_0711 View Post
check River House in Pentagon City
Studios start at $1550 there.

Old 06-21-2012, 01:31 PM

127 posts, read 355,743 times
Sorry I don't have anything to contribute to your question - but your pups are adorable!!! I hope you'll find a place.

Old 06-21-2012, 05:24 PM

41 posts, read 74,610 times
i have a german shepherd and i wasn't able to find any apartments in NOVA that accepted large breeds. when i first moved here, i lived in a privately owned townhouse and that owner/landlord was fine with having my dog in the house. all other places i've lived in NOVA have been rental houses that allow dogs. maybe you could find a basement to rent that's near public transportation? i've had to do all my searches on Craigslist in order to find places to stay.

the area (DC and NOVA) seems juxtaposed since you hear it's dog friendly, and you do see people walking their dogs a lot which is good, but few places accept large breeds and there are only a handful of dog parks around. your dogs are lovely and i hope you find something!

Old 06-22-2012, 06:28 AM

1 posts, read 6,379 times
Try Brenton Court apartments at 400 E Glendale Ave. it is close to Braddock road metro and I know two people who lived there with large breeds. One had a Doberman and the other person had two boxers.

Old 06-22-2012, 10:20 AM

84 posts, read 215,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliTerp07 View Post
Studios start at $1550 there.
They sometimes have promotions on units they cannot rent out. I lived there myself for five years in a row. They started allowing large dogs recently. You should go and visit. They have a special dog playground, and their dog population is quiet large.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia