Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2012, 09:45 AM

27 posts, read 86,378 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Virginia Prime View Post
Congress doesn't need a deal by January 1. They can pass a measure to delay sequestration for an additional three to six months and try to work something out in early 2013. That's my bar bet, at least.
Then the uncertainity continues as they kick the can down the road for a little longer causing more uncertainity. Why hire anyone or buy a house if the area could be facing serious cutbacks in just a few more months?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2012, 11:34 AM

1,344 posts, read 4,762,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Future Home Seller View Post
Then the uncertainity continues as they kick the can down the road for a little longer causing more uncertainity. Why hire anyone or buy a house if the area could be facing serious cutbacks in just a few more months?
Agreed. I think everything will be fine except for less contracts to bid on in and less federal hiring, but there is a bit of uncertainity amoung of few of my federal friends.

I'm financially ready to buy (more than 20% down with financing set), but I'm holding off until all this stuff is settled, even if this property is a long term investment, because if I lose my job and the market tanks, I will have lost my down payment unless the rental market holds steady and I can rent my place to cover the mortage. Too many ifs and too much money for my relatively risk adverse self.

Cliff or no cliff, I hope this gets sorted out sooner rather than later...

Old 10-04-2012, 12:18 PM

91 posts, read 228,865 times
Nobody really knows

Old 10-04-2012, 06:13 PM

274 posts, read 708,537 times
Darn, you HAD to mention the crystal ball. I always have to admit that I don't have one, and statistics just aren't good enough for some folks. I have a best guess in my pocket though, and I still remember all the headlines about the bubble bursting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliTerp07 View Post
Not a big deal, unless they are currently trying to leave the area. If I had thought that there was a chance we'd be leaving NoVA, we would not have purchased a place.

Oh shoot, that was a boring answer.

YOU'RE RIGHT, OMG, WE'RE ALL GOING TO DIE AND OUR HOUSES ARE GOING TO BE WORTH PENNIES AND WE'LL ALL BE SO SORRY WE DIDN'T SELL THIS YEAR! Please give me your realtor information ASAP because they obviously have a crystal ball with all the answers! Thank goodness for them!

If you have the opportunity to leave the area now, and you want to, great! Do it! There are more than enough people moving here in droves to find you a buyer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia