Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2012, 11:50 PM

15 posts, read 25,784 times

Advertisements

I have a job offer at National Harbor, was interested in the surrounding areas. I am married with two small children and a good school district is important. A commute is not a problem, but also not preferred. I wanted to find out about different neighborhoods and the price ranges for homes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2012, 06:08 AM

14,129 posts, read 31,257,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acheung View Post
I have a job offer at National Harbor, was interested in the surrounding areas. I am married with two small children and a good school district is important. A commute is not a problem, but also not preferred. I wanted to find out about different neighborhoods and the price ranges for homes.
You should be able to view various neighborhoods using Google maps. Homes within commute distance of there can be found in all price ranges and can be seen on numerous realty websites.

Old 11-16-2012, 06:17 AM

881 posts, read 2,092,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acheung View Post
In that case, this might be a better resource: http://www.city-data.com/forum/washi...urbs-maryland/

Good luck!

Old 11-16-2012, 06:33 AM

9,879 posts, read 14,131,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayess1 View Post
In that case, this might be a better resource: http://www.city-data.com/forum/washi...urbs-maryland/

Good luck!
The OP already posted there are received some good advice. Unfortunately, the OP has a budget of $250K and is highly concerned with a great school district. I certainly could be wrong, but I don't think they will find something within their budget, in a great school district, and a reasonable commute on the VA side. Perhaps a condo is an option?

Old 11-16-2012, 06:47 AM

881 posts, read 2,092,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spencgr View Post
The OP already posted there are received some good advice. Unfortunately, the OP has a budget of $250K and is highly concerned with a great school district. I certainly could be wrong, but I don't think they will find something within their budget, in a great school district, and a reasonable commute on the VA side. Perhaps a condo is an option?
Ah, didnt' look there, and that's a good idea.

Old 11-16-2012, 11:19 AM

1,203 posts, read 1,242,624 times
As per the OP's inquiry about school districts, they have 4 public school options when living in proximity to National Harbor:

PG County: PGCPS school system is an ABSOLUTE MESS.
DC: DCPS is an ABSOLUTE MESS.
Alexandria City: School system is good, standardized scores are satisfactory, and the system is well funded.
Fairfax County: School system is good, standardized scores are satisfactory, and the system is well funded.

As to other factors, overall the tax burden is less in Virginia; higher in Maryland and DC. Crime is significantly lower in Virginia; Crime is outright rampant and out of control in PG County and DC.

Quality of life is significantly higher in Virginia. Much more amenities such as parks, trails, paths, sidewalks, recreation, special events, restaurants, and shopping in Virginia.

The only two drawbacks with Virginia is traffic and cost of housing.

But since you'd be going AGAINST traffic driving into MD, and you'd be in close proximity to the WW Bridge, the commute should be quite easy.

Housing is more expensive -- either buying or renting -- in Virginia. However, the trade-off of lesser space, with a more family-friendly and safe environment in Virginia, is definitely worth it IMO.

Back to the original question... of course, private schooling is always [possibly] an option. But again, factoring in the other considerations outlined above, it remains my opinion that Virginia is still the better choice.

Good luck with your decision.

Last edited by MattOTAlex; 11-16-2012 at 12:07 PM..

Old 11-16-2012, 11:44 AM

810 posts, read 1,025,482 times
I would look into Townhouses in Burke. With the Wilson Bridge project ending, traffic is a lot smoother these days during rush hours. Going from Old Keen Mill Road -> 495 -> 295 exit to National Harbor should be very doable. (Edit: note that this is about a 30 minute commute, which may not be what you're looking for but I think a 30 minute commute here is great, lol)

Burke is family friendly, and has good school districts. A brief look on realtor websites I do see townhouses available with your budget as well.

Good luck!

Last edited by farplaner; 11-16-2012 at 11:55 AM..

Old 11-16-2012, 12:43 PM

9,879 posts, read 14,131,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tongyang View Post
Burke is family friendly, and has good school districts. A brief look on realtor websites I do see townhouses available with your budget as well.

Good luck!
While I agree with your assesment of Burke, I think it will be difficult to find a townhouse undder $250K. Redfin currently shows three, all short-sales, all pending contracts. In the past 6 months, only 7 more have been sold, most of them short sales as well.

Old 11-16-2012, 06:49 PM

1,736 posts, read 2,893,745 times
lowest available burke townhome currently in the MLS is $257K but is a short sale. lowest standard sale currently available is $280K.

gonna be hard to get a townhome with 3 bedrooms in FFX county for under $250K. may have to cross the bridge into PWC

Old 11-17-2012, 09:20 AM

10,125 posts, read 13,988,162 times
I'm going to save everyone a lot of time, since this was addressed in the MD forum. Unless the OP is okay with living in a condo, the OP is looking at staying in PG, or even Charles County at this point with a 260k budget. VA is almost a non-option. Even with that said, Charles County Schools aren't really that great, but even they are better than PG. The issue with Charles County though is the commute will be very difficult because 210 gets really backed up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia