Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2012, 10:15 AM

22 posts, read 37,624 times

Advertisements

I am trying to assess what if any a student would missing out on if he/she goes to a good middle of the pack school say rated 7/8 by Great Schools (or using the scores to rank them) compared to schools rated 9/10 (and which are highly talked about).

I see that they have same syllabus, pretty similar extra curricular activities and teachers are not going to be uniformly good or bad across an entire school. Test scores I would think tend to reflect the socio-economic profile of that particular community so I do not think they add much insight once you ensure the scores are not too bad. Where I come from it is really up to the parents to ensure the kids learn all that is "taught" in schools.

Are there any things I am not considering that the top rated schools bring to the table that others dont?

My schooling was in the sub-continent so I am not familiar with the school system here. I would really appreciate your feedback on this. There is probably no clear cut answer and people would have different views. I am just trying to educate myself so I know the tradeoffs (if any) that I am making if I send my son to a middle of the pack school.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2012, 10:35 AM

1,304 posts, read 2,427,595 times
You are really over thinking this school thing. All of the schools in the greater Fairfax Area are fine. It's high school (and below). They all offer AP classes and extracurricular activities to help out with college. It's not like students that go to McLean become CEOs and those that go to West Springfield are doomed to the checkout counter at Macy's. It is up to the individual student. The difference between a 7 school and a 9 school is based upon whatever arbitrary rating system Greater Schools decided to use...it's not from the results of some peer reviewed study. These are not inner city schools with gangs where the teachers are behind bulletproof glass.

Old 12-03-2012, 11:32 AM

5,125 posts, read 10,094,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boyd888 View Post
It's not like students that go to McLean become CEOs ..."
A quick check of Wiki confirms that McLean HS graduates include the former CEO of Time, Inc. and the current CEO of Coat Chex, a start-up designer of a ticket-less coat check system that recently turned down a proposed $200,000 investment from Mark Cuban in exchange for a 1/3 stake. So that's at least two CEOs over, well, a roughly 40-year period. Check back again in 2047 for an update.

Seriously, I wouldn't worry about the G/S stuff, at least not when you're talking about 7/8s vs. 9/10s. Those numbers represent the crunching of standardized state test scores, and they often move around from year to year. And, within FCPS, there are currently changes under discussion involving some of the gifted/Advanced Academic Programs that, if implemented, could lower the GS ratings of some of the schools that currently have big elementary or middle school AAP programs and raise the GS ratings of schools that get new AAP programs within the next few years. Or, alternatively, FCPS can decide to change school boundaries.

Last edited by JD984; 12-03-2012 at 11:48 AM..

Old 12-03-2012, 12:36 PM

1,403 posts, read 2,151,622 times
As a generic comment, I advise this way: in my view, "best" schools are not those that have more financial resources or shiny new equipment or, for that matter, even better teachers. The best schools are those where the peer pressure is of the right kind and there exists an atmosphere of healthy competition.

Also as a generic comment, I do not find successes of exceptions all that comforting as a measure of how well a school system educates the young. I know lots of techies who dropped out of college and became millionaires (heck I have a family member who never went to college and instead makes a boatload of money developing mobile phone apps -- he now has a company of his own), but that does not mean most pupils, even highly intelligent ones, would be well-served by not going to university.

Old 12-03-2012, 01:56 PM

1,304 posts, read 2,427,595 times
I meant to say "all become CEOs" :P

Old 12-04-2012, 11:58 AM

22 posts, read 37,624 times
My thoughts are pretty much in line with the above comments. I just wanted to make sure I am not being crazy in putting my son in a school with a 7 or 8 rating.

To go along with AAP there is a thing called APPP (Asian Parents Peer Pressure) where putting children in low rated schools is pretty much as horrible as child abuse. Not knowing a thing about how the school system works I want to make sure I am educated enough to make an informed decision. I did not understand the obsession with ratings which seem to be mostly derived from test scores, which as far as I know are not contagious

Old 12-04-2012, 04:51 PM

14,129 posts, read 31,263,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRK68 View Post
My thoughts are pretty much in line with the above comments. I just wanted to make sure I am not being crazy in putting my son in a school with a 7 or 8 rating.
I never put my kids in a school with a 7 or 8 rating.

Old 12-05-2012, 07:30 AM

1,449 posts, read 3,172,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
I never put my kids in a school with a 7 or 8 rating.
I'm not getting the joke...

Old 12-05-2012, 08:05 AM

810 posts, read 1,025,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRK68 View Post
To go along with AAP there is a thing called APPP (Asian Parents Peer Pressure) where putting children in low rated schools is pretty much as horrible as child abuse.
Heh, my wife and I argue on this issue a lot. She wants to move to put my daughter in a 9-10 district, and I'm content in staying at where we are and attend a 7-8 school.

My daughter is 16 months old, btw

Old 12-05-2012, 08:36 AM

26,700 posts, read 41,758,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tongyang View Post
Heh, my wife and I argue on this issue a lot. She wants to move to put my daughter in a 9-10 district, and I'm content in staying at where we are and attend a 7-8 school.

My daughter is 16 months old, btw
A couple of points in greatschools rating alone, would not justify a move in my opinion. Now a move from a 3-4 to a 8-9 is different.

BTW, I graduated from a 3 school after transferring from an 8 school and turned out fine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia